Can't upgrade -- java.lang.RuntimeException

Joe Colantonio

Mar 21, 2017, 10:12:21 AM3/21/17
to Serenity BDD Users Group
Hi,

How do you troubleshot this error: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.jbehave.core.embedder.Embedder$RunningStoriesFailed: Failures in running stories:

1. My project runs great using :

 <serenity.version>1.1.21</serenity.version>
 <serenity.jbehave.version>1.5.0</serenity.jbehave.version>

2. When I try to update to newer version of serneity-core and jbehave:

   <serenity.version>1.2.2</serenity.version>
   <serenity.jbehave.version>1.20.0</serenity.jbehave.version>

I get the following error when I try running a test that works fine with the older versions:

com.ge.hcit.radtests.bdd.RadDesktopTestSuite  Time elapsed: 0.793 sec  <<< ERROR!
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.jbehave.core.embedder.Embedder$RunningStoriesFailed: Failures in running stories:
jbehave/stories/ui/authentication/PortalLogin.feature: org.jbehave.core.embedder.StoryManager$StoryExecutionFailed: jbehave/stories/ui/authentication/PortalLogin.feature
at org.jbehave.core.embedder.Embedder$ThrowingRunningStoriesFailed.handleFailures(Embedder.java:553)
at org.jbehave.core.embedder.Embedder.handleFailures(Embedder.java:238)
at org.jbehave.core.embedder.Embedder.runStoriesAsPaths(Embedder.java:216)
at net.serenitybdd.jbehave.embedders.ExtendedEmbedder.runStoriesAsPaths(ExtendedEmbedder.java:60)
at net.serenitybdd.jbehave.runners.SerenityReportingRunner.run(SerenityReportingRunner.java:174)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:283)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeWithRerun(JUnit4Provider.java:173)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:128)

I'm stuck :( Any ideas on how to resolve?

Thanks

joe

John Smart

Mar 21, 2017, 10:19:07 AM3/21/17
to Joe Colantonio, Serenity BDD Users Group
It's claiming that the PortalLogin feature failed - are there any stackdumps? JBehave is notoriously hard to debug (Cucumber is much easier in my experience), but the trick is figuring out why it things the feature has failed.

John Smart | Wakaleo Consulting  |  +44 7398 832273
Making smart teams collaborate better
http://johnfergusonsmart.com  |  john....@wakaleo.com

We love breaking down silos and helping smart teams collaborate better! Ask about our tailored on-site workshops in Agile Product Planning, BDD Requirements Discovery,  BDD, TDD and Clean Coding, and Advanced BDD Test Automation.

Need some help with Serenity BDD? Check out our Serenity BDD training and support packages here.

Joe Colantonio

Mar 21, 2017, 10:33:59 AM3/21/17
to Serenity BDD Users Group, joecol...@gmail.com

Thanks John. The same feature works fine with older version. Usually when it fails there is a nice stack trace in the Serneity report but when i look at the report after this failure it shows what looks like it worked fine

I did notice that after the build success message I see the following errors that I've not seen before. Maybe this has something to do with it or maybe there is another dependency in my pom.xml that also needs to be updated? I wish there was an easy way to upgrade my large project from jbehave to cucumberjvm.

JDWP exit error JVMTI_ERROR_WRONG_PHASE(112): on getting class status [../../../src/share/back/util.c:1283]
JDWP exit error JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_ENVIRONMENT(116): Can't allocate jvmti memory [../../../src/share/back/util.c:1797]
FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP on getting class status, jvmtiError=JVMTI_ERROR_WRONG_PHASE(112)
FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP Can't allocate jvmti memory, jvmtiError=JVMTI_ERROR_INVALID_ENVIRONMENT(116)

John Smart

Mar 21, 2017, 10:35:35 AM3/21/17
to Joe Colantonio, Serenity BDD Users Group
Can you share your project?

Joe Colantonio

Mar 21, 2017, 11:49:28 AM3/21/17
to Serenity BDD Users Group, joecol...@gmail.com
I'm trying to find a way to share - but my company blocks everything so I can't save to my dropbox, google drive local usb or send email as zip :(

Joe Colantonio

Mar 24, 2017, 8:00:11 AM3/24/17
to Serenity BDD Users Group, joecol...@gmail.com
Hi John whats the best way to share the project with you? I added it to my dropbox and added your email to have rights to it: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/67z6qgt3uqi3dh9/AAAPGcryk-BwIEWfBupvA-jSa?dl=0