Serenity.takeScreenshot() breakage between Serenity version 1.0.25 and 1.0.31

buc rogers

Mar 2, 2015, 5:38:01 PM3/2/15
to thucydid...@googlegroups.com
We have step classes which have the following inheritance hierarchy from Serenity ScenarioSteps:

  OurStepsClass -> OurStepsBaseClass -> ScenarioSteps

We use Serenity.takeScreenshot() in several spots in each of the above

With Serenity / Thucydides version 1.0.25 and earlier, this worked fine

With Serenity 1.0.31 and later (including latest 1.0.35), we are getting the error below for these, and have had to temporarily comment-out these Serenity.takeScreenshot() calls to get the tests to pass:

java.lang.NullPointerException: No BaseStepListener has been registered
at com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkNotNull(Preconditions.java:226)
at net.thucydides.core.steps.StepEventBus.getBaseStepListener(StepEventBus.java:94)
at net.thucydides.core.steps.StepEventBus.takeScreenshot(StepEventBus.java:527)
at net.serenitybdd.core.Serenity.takeScreenshot(Serenity.java:221)

br

John Smart

Mar 2, 2015, 5:53:53 PM3/2/15
to buc rogers, thucydid...@googlegroups.com
Could you isolate the exact version change that broke this for you? Nothing has changed in that part of the code base, so it must be a change somewhere else that is causing the issue.

John Smart | Wakaleo Consulting  |  +61 407 247 642
Optimizing your software development process
http://www.wakaleo.com  |  john....@wakaleo.com

The dates for the 2014 BDD workshops have been scheduled! Check out our upcoming BDD/TDD Master classes and our Advanced BDD Requirements Workshops, coming soon to Sydney and Melbourne!

buc rogers

Mar 3, 2015, 3:43:22 PM3/3/15
to thucydid...@googlegroups.com, brog...@gmail.com
takeScreenshot() last worked for us in 1.0.24 - broken starting in 1.0.25, through latest 1.0.35

My subject line was inaccurate in saying it started with 1.0.25

br

John Smart

Mar 3, 2015, 4:42:09 PM3/3/15
to buc rogers, thucydid...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. What testing library are you using (JUnit, JBehave, Cucumber)?

buc rogers

Mar 3, 2015, 6:25:41 PM3/3/15
to thucydid...@googlegroups.com, brog...@gmail.com
Cucumber (1.0.13 with 1.0.35 serenity, also occurs with earlier corresponding serenity-cucumber versions back through serenity 1.0.25)

John Smart

Mar 3, 2015, 6:50:39 PM3/3/15
to buc rogers, thucydid...@googlegroups.com
Thanks - I'm not seeing this behaviour at all - do you think you could post a sample project reproducing the issue to Github?