Unable to add to existing defect - Failure. Message was : undefined

drj...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2015, 6:14:11 PM7/2/15
to thre...@googlegroups.com
I'm unable to add a finding to an existing defect. When I attempt, I receive an error on the pop up (undefined) as well as the following in the logs...

2015-07-01 15:41:22,062 [http-bio-8080-exec-11] DEBUG denimgroup.threadfix.service.defects.utils.RestUtilsImpl (RestUtilsImpl.java:123) - Requesting https://jira.hostname.here:9081/rest/api/2/issue/TSA-37
2015-07-01 15:41:22,535 [http-bio-8080-exec-11] INFO denimgroup.threadfix.service.defects.utils.RestUtilsImpl (RestUtilsImpl.java:116) - Encountered IOException, unable to continue
2015-07-01 15:41:22,537 [http-bio-8080-exec-11] WARN org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter (JDBCExceptionReporter.java:233) - SQL Error: 1048, SQLState: 23000
2015-07-01 15:41:22,537 [http-bio-8080-exec-11] ERROR org.hibernate.util.JDBCExceptionReporter (JDBCExceptionReporter.java:234) - Column 'status' cannot be null

I've connected to the https://jira.hostname.here:9081/rest/api/2/issue/TSA-37 site manually and receive the rest response.

Thanks
Jason

Mac Collins

Jul 2, 2015, 7:14:02 PM7/2/15
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, the code in that part of the application has swallowed any
meaningful information. I have patched it to not to do so:

https://github.com/denimgroup/threadfix/commit/0e0907951e39ac155870e8a98781
9d3ad3325ad9

This should make the UI error appear properly and actually log the error
ThreadFix encounters. ThreadFix did not fail gracefully here, the error is
because ThreadFix didn't put a string in the mandatory status column in
Defect. Are any other interactions with Jira successful? Can you file a
new Defect?

Also, what version of ThreadFix are you running?

Thanks,
Mac

On 7/2/15, 5:14 PM, "thre...@googlegroups.com on behalf of
drj...@gmail.com" <thre...@googlegroups.com on behalf of

drj...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2015, 12:35:35 PM7/3/15
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mac,

I can file a new defect fine, it's only when I attempt to attach to a existing defect that I encounter the error. Everything else appears to be fine.

I am running JIRA v6.1.7 with the following ThreadFix version:
Last commit: 0e20d2f
Build date: Jun 19, 2015 11:35 AM PDT

Thanks,
Jason

drj...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 12:22:31 PM7/6/15
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Alternately, is there a workaround available to manually connect vulns in ThreadFix to specific Jira defects (via mySQL perhaps)?

Thanks,
Jason

Mac Collins

Jul 6, 2015, 5:44:09 PM7/6/15
to thre...@googlegroups.com
With MySQL you can insert defect information directly to your database. I would recommend backing your DB up first of course.

I'll outline the steps:

1. Insert a new Defect row, making it match existing rows as far as present rows. The important ones here are status and nativeId, although it's probably good to get the applicationId right just in case.
2. For the vulnerabilities in question, set the defectId to the id of the new row in the Defect table
3. Check in your UI to see if it was created properly.

Thanks,
Mac

drj...@gmail.com

Jul 14, 2015, 4:25:29 PM7/14/15
to thre...@googlegroups.com, drj...@gmail.com
Hey Mac,

I'm also receiving this error when I attempt to update defect status.

2015-07-13 13:52:52,629 [QueueListener-1] INFO com.denimgroup.threadfix.service.defects.JiraDefectTracker (JiraDefectTracker.java:444) - Updating JIRA defect status for 1 defects.
2015-07-13 13:52:52,629 [QueueListener-1] INFO com.denimgroup.threadfix.service.defects.JiraDefectTracker (JiraDefectTracker.java:466) - Updating status for defect TSA-44
2015-07-13 13:52:52,630 [QueueListener-1] DEBUG denimgroup.threadfix.service.defects.utils.RestUtilsImpl (RestUtilsImpl.java:123) - Requesting https://internaljira.host:9081/rest/api/2/issue/TSA-44
2015-07-13 13:52:53,134 [QueueListener-1] INFO denimgroup.threadfix.service.defects.utils.RestUtilsImpl (RestUtilsImpl.java:116) - Encountered IOException, unable to continue
2015-07-13 13:52:53,135 [QueueListener-1] INFO com.denimgroup.threadfix.service.DefectServiceImpl (DefectServiceImpl.java:344) - About to update vulnerability information from the defect tracker.
2015-07-13 13:52:53,200 [QueueListener-1] INFO com.denimgroup.threadfix.service.DefectServiceImpl (DefectServiceImpl.java:365) - No vulnerabilities were updated. This could just mean that no issues were closed.