Adding custom reports

Bob Rich

May 28, 2014, 12:11:16 PM5/28/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Would you have any suggestions for adding a custom report to Threadfix?  It's really just a 'document generator' more than a report.  I've been trying to do it directly from the database but i seem to be re-inventing the wheel more than anything else.  The report output would be MS Word (OpenXML) and it would be doing some aggregation based on CWE, so there would be some logic behind it.

Thanks!

Dan Cornell

May 28, 2014, 7:41:47 PM5/28/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
I was actually just talking about that with Brian Mather yesterday. You could create new reports and extend the Reports section to let you download them. I believe we already include Apache POI (https://poi.apache.org/) that has the ability to generate Word docs (although I'm not sure if they are OpenXML in format) There's probably a decent framework out there that lets you do this sort of stuff - I just haven't looked around for a while. Open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan Cornell

May 28, 2014, 7:45:48 PM5/28/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Also here's a StackOverflow answer with a bunch of links on creating Word docs with POI:

Bob Rich

May 28, 2014, 8:24:25 PM5/28/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan!  My spring-fu is quite weak but I think I'll try to work my way through adding either a new report or possibly see if i can glom on to the export functionality so that i can (maybe) leverage the existing filter code.  POI is my go-to for this kind of thing.

Thanks!