REST API questions

geoff.wh...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2014, 2:24:34 PM7/7/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm looking at some of the REST API endpoints in 2.1M1 and I have a few questions:

- Is "channelNames" a list because a single vulnerability may be identified by multiple tools?

- Can I expect "genericVulnerability" to always be filled-in with the "id" field as the relevant CWE identifier?

- Is there a plan to expose all supported "genericVulnerability" values through the REST API?

- Is there a plan to expose/update channel mappings?

Great stuff here

All the best,
Geoff

Mac Collins

Jul 7, 2014, 5:19:39 PM7/7/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Hi Geoff,

- Is "channelNames" a list because a single vulnerability may be
identified by multiple tools?

Yes.

- Can I expect "genericVulnerability" to always be filled-in with the "id"
field as the relevant CWE identifier?

For CWEs introduced prior to 2.6, yes. Due to some internal changes the
reliable field is now "displayId". Now that I'm looking at it we should
rename that to "cweId" before 2.1 is released and that API is officially
frozen. I will reply to this thread when I make this change.

- Is there a plan to expose all supported "genericVulnerability" values
through the REST API?

No, but if that information is useful I have no problem exposing an
endpoint for it. If you file an enhancement issue we'll look at
implementing for 2.1 final.

- Is there a plan to expose/update channel mappings?

We have just exposed functionality for creating new mappings in mainline
development through the UI. We haven't considered listing or updating
mappings through the REST interface, although you have piqued my interest.

Thanks,
Mac

On 7/7/14, 1:24 PM, "geoff.wh...@gmail.com"

geoff.wh...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2014, 12:37:11 PM7/8/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mac for clarifying channelNames and genericVulnerability.displayId. I look forward to genericVulnerability.cweId when you are able to add it.

We are working on integrating our internal weakness tracking system with threadfix. Knowing threadfix weaknesses and being able to list mappings for a channel allows us to find out if we're out of sync. Having the ability to update through the API is of lesser priority.

Best wishes,
Geoff