The role of events in Thorax

Patrick Mulder

Jan 17, 2014, 3:23:34 AM1/17/14
to thor...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Eastridge
Hi!

I am exploring the advanced use of Events with Backbone, and found https://github.com/ModelN/backbone.geppetto  - which tries to encapsulate commands for events. There is this basic demo: http://jsbin.com/uleXOjOx/15 - but the usage is a bit more in the context of MarionetteJS.

Now, what's the approach to managing events with Thorax? Especially, for fetching new data on a new page and/or rendering subviews. (In the example above, one could decrease/increase the counters after filter selection for example)

Thanks!

Patrick

Noel Kendall

Feb 3, 2014, 2:28:11 AM2/3/14
to thor...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Eastridge
I like the pub/sub pattern. It's easy to extend when incorporating new function. It's clean. AFAIK the pubsub approaches out there for Backbone would still apply. I stumbled on Thorax after getting far enough into a development to realize that it would a heap of grunt work to continue building a large app without layout management. That, and wanting to subclass Backbone.View - which Thorax appears to take in stride. Interested to know what you find on the events topic. Joined the group to participate and learn more.

Patrick Mulder

Feb 3, 2014, 7:29:52 AM2/3/14
to Noel Kendall, thor...@googlegroups.com, Ryan Eastridge
Thanks Noel for the feedback!
The pub/sub is indeed the core of scalable applications.

Would be great to hear more of your experiences with learning Thorax / Handlebars application design.

Have fun!

Patrick