Some Helpful Links

Tracy Lippincott

Dec 28, 2012, 10:50:42 PM12/28/12
to ThinkA...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I realize that not all of you have been to our meetups or been included in some of the earlier emails we exchanged before starting the Google Group, so I wanted to share some of the very useful links we have found, in case those of you who missed them might also find them helpful.

Someone in the course started a Study Guide in Google Docs which anyone can edit -- it's extremely helpful because it simplifies the main points and important terms from each of the lectures so far. I highly recommend having a look at it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eL3s09yNcsw-RMRl99I09ySk1pAKfUOrIy-aWuOy3F8/edit#

Spike notes: "It's been great to review that after the videos, people have done a great job at putting together what mattered and it's much faster than re-watching a video to reinforce the important concepts." --- Damn straight, Spike.

Another very helpful Courserian posted a link where you can download the entire textbook in as a PDF for free. It's obviously not entirely legal, but if you don't have a copy of the book, it's a great resource for clarification and expansion of the lectures, and is full of exercises which you can do to enhance your retention of the course material. You need a BitTorrent client to download it, so if you don't have one or would rather not download one, I'm also including the PDF itself as an attachment in this email. That's probably the easier way, actually, but just in case, here's the link to the torrent: http://kat.ph/understanding-arguments-an-introduction-to-informal-logic-bbs-t6024742.html

And here's the link to the Meetup page for our next meeting, which will be on Monday, January 7th at 7:00pm: http://www.meetup.com/Coursera/San-Francisco-CA/849682/

Hope everyone's enjoying the holidays and look forward to catching up next month!

Cheers,
Tracy
Understanding Arguments 8th Ed(2009)BBS.pdf

Spike Morelli

Jan 2, 2013, 9:41:06 AM1/2/13
to Tracy Lippincott, ThinkA...@googlegroups.com
A late Merry Christmas and Happy New year to everybody!

Thanks for the links and material @Tracy, very useful.

Do you have any notes or thoughts on the last meetup? I wasn't able to attend and wanted to gauge what you guys covered. Also with the holidays and all there's been a lot of material published, do we intend to cover it all this coming monday? should we have a longer-than-usual session to catch up?

cheers and looking forward to see you all again.

Spike

--

<Understanding Arguments 8th Ed(2009)BBS.pdf>

Tracy Lippincott

Jan 7, 2013, 3:26:20 PM1/7/13
to Spike Morelli, thinka...@googlegroups.com

Hey guys,

Spike suggested that we meet at Cable Car City Pub again, so I have updated the location on the Meetup page. I feel way out of touch with the course material, but I'll try to catch up this afternoon. Hope everyone enjoyed their holidays!

By the way, if anyone will be joining us for the first time -- you can find us in the front of the restaurant by the windows. Look for the only group of people with notebooks and/or tablets. :)

Cheers,
Tracy

Spikelab

Jan 7, 2013, 4:34:59 PM1/7/13
to Tracy Lippincott, thinka...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tracy,

Thanks for updating the event. I'm also catching up, made it to week 6 last night but unlikely to get much further. I think most of us will b in that situation so we may just do a couple catch-up meetups if people feel that way, ie do up to week 5 today and then 6 and 7 next meetup. What do people think?

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Verrilli

Jan 7, 2013, 5:25:50 PM1/7/13
to Spikelab, Tracy Lippincott, thinka...@googlegroups.com
That sounds good to me.

I actually haven't been able to catch up this week, but I should have more time this week to do so.