The Frontstretch Newsletter: AJ Allmendinger Released by Penske

Frontstretch.com

Aug 1, 2012, 12:30:03 PM8/1/12
to The Frontstretch
THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com

The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
August 1st, 2012
Volume VI, Edition CL

~~~~~~~~~~

BREAKING NEWS: AJ Allmendinger Released By Penske
by Tom Bowles

AJ Allmendinger's NASCAR future is in question after his employer, Penske Racing, officially released him from his contract driving their No. 22 Dodge this morning. Allmendinger has been indefinitely suspended by the sport after a positive drug test for amphetamines; entering the Road To Recovery program last week, he will likely be out of a car for at least the rest of 2012.

But when he returns, that won't be with the famed Roger Penske. "AJ is a terrific driver, a good person and it is very unfortunate that we have to separate at this time," said the car owner in a press release. "We have invested greatly in AJ and we were confident in his success with our team. The decision to dismiss him is consistent with how we would treat any other Penske Racing team member under similar circumstances. As AJ begins NASCAR's 'Road to Recovery' program, we wish him the best and look forward to seeing him compete again in NASCAR."

Allmendinger has struggled with the ride when he was behind the wheel, scoring just one top-5 finish in 17 starts before being barred from competition just prior to the start of this July's Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. Sam Hornish, Jr., who has driven the car the last three events will do so again at Pocono and the foreseeable future while the organization considers their options for 2013.

"Effective today, I have been released from Penske Racing as driver of the #22 Dodge Charger," said AJ Allmendinger in a statement. "I wish to thank Mr. Penske, Penske Racing, their sponsors, and especially all the of the #22 team for the opportunity they provided me and for their support in this difficult time. I also, again, would like to thank all the fans that really have been awesome through this. I apologize for the distraction, embarrassment, and difficulties that my current suspension from NASCAR has provided. As I stated last week, I have begun NASCAR's Road to Recovery program and look forward to using those resources and its completion to compete again in NASCAR in the near future."

Top News
by Brad Morgan

RPM Will Show off Safety Message at Pocono

Aric Almirola’s No. 43 Ford Fusion will display an important safety message when the driver returns to NASCAR’s “tricky triangle” for his second career Sprint Cup Series race at the 2.5-mile track.  The team will honor sponsor Automotive Lift Institute’s (ALI) brand-new Lift Inspector Certification Program by displaying the company’s safety message and logos.

The Institute's motto, “Your safety is riding on it”, will be visible on the rear of the vehicle as part of a dedicated color scheme for the Pennsylvania 400 at Pocono Raceway.

“It is an honor to sponsor the legendary No. 43 car and to have this opportunity to highlight the importance of vehicle service lift safety,” said R.W. “Bob” O’Gorman, ALI president. “Whether you're a technician working under a lift, a shop owner or supervisor, or a car owner who wants to be sure your vehicle is lifted right, there's more than a car riding on that lift: Your safety is riding on it.”

Sunday will be an important day for ALI and a challenge for Almirola, who returns to Pocono following a 28th place finish at the highly technical and freshly repaved track.

“We definitely learned a lot as a team, and I learned a lot as a driver, during our first trip to Pocono earlier this summer," Almirola said. "Not only was it my first time racing a Cup car on the track, but the track had just been repaved, too.  So it will be nice to go back there the second time with some experience and a notebook to work from.  I think we'll roll off the truck in pretty good shape and I'm ready to get back at it.

Almirola has just two top-10 results in 20 races, including a best finish of sixth at Dover; he sits 22nd in the standings.

Burton Picks Up New Sponsor for Two Races

The No. 31 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team and driver Jeff Burton have secured a new sponsor for two races later this season.  EnerSys, a global batteries manufacturer, and their ODYSSEY Battery brand, will serve as the primary sponsor for the Richard Childress machine at Pocono this weekend, and later on October 28 for the Tums Fast Relief 500 at Martinsville Speedway.

“Our decision to become the primary sponsor for Jeff Burton at Pocono and Martinsville is an exciting opportunity for EnerSys to expand its racing partnership with RCR and introduce our products to the NASCAR community,” said John Gagge, Vice President Reserve Power Sales & Service Americas.  “The RCR and EnerSys partnership has been extremely rewarding.  We have been challenged to deliver high performance batteries for their competition vehicles that operate under the intense conditions of NASCAR, where battery failure is not an option.  We also supply RCR with ODYSSEY batteries for their support vehicles and race car haulers.  We look forward to celebrating on Sunday in Victory Lane with Jeff and the EnerSys /ODYSSEY Battery Chevrolet.”

EnerSys has been a loyal supporter of RCR since 2009, but Sunday’s race will mark the first time the company has been featured as the primary sponsor for a car in NASCAR.

“ODYSSEY Batteries has been a great partner through the years, providing dependable and high-performance battery power to RCR,” said Ben Schlosser, Chief Marketing Officer at RCR.  “It’s great to see EnerSys expand their relationship with RCR by showcasing the ODYSSEY and EnerSys brands on the No. 31 Chevrolet with Jeff.”

Burton will be looking to break into the win column for the first time this year in the red and black themed car; currently, the 20-year-veteran sits 20th in points with two top-fives and four top-10s.

News Bites

-
Overnight ratings for the Brickyard 400 were down significantly this season. Posting just a 3.8 HH rating, that's off 17 percent from last year's 4.6 and the worst since NASCAR's TV contract went national in 2001. The Olympics were blamed for the loss in viewership, as the audience just averaged a little over 5 million over the course of the event.

- The Nationwide Series, on the other hand had a slight increase in viewership compared to last year's race at IRP. The 1.6 Nielsen number for their first event at Indianapolis posts slightly above the 1.5 they received for last year's Saturday night showdown at the short track.

Have news for Brad and the Frontstretch? Don't hesitate to let us know; email us at phil.a...@frontstretch.com with a promising lead or tip.

~~~~~~~~~~

WRITE FOR US!
Hey Frontstretch Readers! Are you looking for a fast-growing website that can give you an opportunity to not only share your thoughts on racing, but have FUN doing it with a group of laid-back, dedicated personnel?  Well, we have the place for you. Frontstretch is actively seeking 1-3 additional writers for both our newsletter and website to add to our dedicated staff. Follow this link for more information on how you can become a weekly columnist for the site and / or newsletter!

~~~~~~~~~~

Today's Featured Commentary
Confidence Can Go A Long Way
Full Throttle

by Mike Neff

After spending a weekend at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, one thing is very clear – Jimmie Johnson is going to be hard to beat for the 2012 Cup title. Dale Earnhardt, Jr. is the current points leader, Tony Stewart and Brad Keselowski may be tied with Johnson at three wins to be tops in the sport right now, but no one in the garage area is walking with the swagger of the No. 48 team. The group that puts that car on the track every week knows when they’re good and when they’re bad well before the races start every week, and this weekend showed that they’ve got that feeling back as the sport gets close to Chase time.

Fans who watch the sport regularly ought to remember Stewart getting out of the car after winning Martinsville during the Chase last year. He didn’t say he was going to win the title but he told everyone who would listen that he was going to make it very hard on Carl Edwards to take home the big check at the end of the season. At the same time Edwards was saying all of the right things too. He didn’t lay down by any stretch of the imagination, but looking at Stewart and Edwards after that race, if you didn’t know what the point tally was, you’d have bet money on Stewart winning the title. He made his comments with conviction and you simply knew that he and his team would be incredibly good over the last three races--and they were. Stewart won two of the last three and led the majority of the laps in the third before settling for a mere third-place finish. The confidence of a championship caliber team is palpable at the race track and goes a long way toward making them successful.

That confidence isn’t just limited to the big time drivers in the big leagues, though. If you look at the point standings for the Whelen All-American series at NASCAR local tracks, you’ll see the name Lee Pulliam at the top of the list. Last year Pulliam had a phenomenal season but lost out to Philip Morris, who was even more dominant, especially head-to-head, than Pulliam was. This season Morris is not competing, as of yet, and the result is Pulliam kicking butt and taking names nearly every week. He didn’t start racing this season until May, but has stormed to the top of the national points and drove another nail in the coffin of his pursuers with a maximum point win at Motor Mile Speedway Saturday.

Lance Gatlin, who competes at Lonesome Pine Raceway is laying waste to his competition in a similar fashion, albeit at a single race track. Gatlin has scored nine consecutive wins in the Late Model Division at LPR over the first nine races of the season. The track has a bounty that is up to $450 for anyone who can beat Gatlin fair and square, but he simply dismisses the challengers and keeps on winning. Shelby Stroebel is in a similar boat at Meridian Speedway. Stroebel has not lost a race at Meridian since late last season, taking the checkered flag first no less than 10 times this season.

What each of these drivers possess is unadulterated confidence. Confidence in their team, their equipment, their luck and their abilities. When that confidence is oozing out of every pore of their body, it can deflate those people who are trying to knock them off of the top spot. After Johnson won the Brickyard for the fourth time in his career on Sunday, Greg Biffle and Kyle Busch both commented that Johnson’s car was not in another zip code but was in another COUNTRY on Sunday. Johnson and his crew chief Chad Knaus were both smiling their Cheshire Cat grins on Sunday, even before the green flag flew. That confidence was not there last season.

They were good but not great. They didn’t make anyone feel like they had no shot at the win if the No. 48 was on their game. That is not the case in 2012. Johnson commented in his post-race interview that he felt as confident as he’d ever felt in the Cup series and he wished the Chase was starting tomorrow. Knaus tried to temper his comments slightly, claiming he felt more confident during the season when Hendrick Motorsports won 16 out of 24 races, but his eyes betrayed him. The twinkle that Knaus gets, when you can tell he knows just how good the equipment is that his team is giving to his driver, is unmistakable, and it is back for the first time in a long time.

The confidence of a dominant team is unmistakable. While race drivers are notoriously confident, often to the point of cockiness, the ones who have the momentum can cause even the best of them to second guess themselves. When a team has that supreme confidence, it can overcome almost anything and usually will lead to a championship. Right now, the No. 48 team is looking like they have that confidence by the truck load.

Mike Neff is a Senior Writer for Frontstretch.com. He can be reached via email at mike...@frontstretch.com.

~~~~~~~~~~

Got NASCAR-related questions or comments?
Send them John Potts' way at john....@frontstretch.com; and, if you're lucky, you'll get your name in print when he does his weekly column answering back to you – the fans that keep Frontstretch afloat. Potts' Shots will run on Thursday with a whole new set of Fan Questions and Answers!

~~~~~~~~~~

Tweet 'N' Greet
by Summer Bedgood

@jim_utter: NEWS: AJ Allmendinger had been indefinitely suspended by #NASCAR after his B sample failed random drug test

@DNewtonESPN (David Newton): #NASCAR @AJDinger now has two basic options, enter Road to Recovery program or fight in court

@ESPNMcGee: #NASCAR doesn't say what he tested positive for. That's not a surprise.

@queers4gears: As sad as I am for AJ - I am not sad for the mess that "would have been" if the A sample had been a false positive

@NewmanKrissie: she is a huge help and loves her lil sister “@Kim6630: @NewmanKrissie What does Miss B think of baby Ashlyn? I bet she's a great big sis!”

@31n2Spotter (Brett Griffin): And the attempt to win the court of public opinion will continue. When you fail a DUI we know what you blow. Just release what it is...

@queers4gears: ......and just like that, nanogram replaces hoodpins as the NASCAR word of the week.

@scottspeed: Remember that Aj has accomplished so much and for that he deserves respect. He wasn't given anything. He earned it #respect

@AllWaltrip (Darrell Waltrip): Trusty Boy took his last ride to the vet this morning, he's gone and so is a big chunk of my heart, he was my best friend, hurts so bad.

@2Spotter (Joey Meier): Drug test results are on a NEED TO KNOW basis. The people that NTK, already do. If anyone can benefit from it,they'll be told individually

@JennaFryer: #NEWS: AJ Allmendinger says he will participate in the Road to Recovery

@JennaFryer: One note on Road to Recovery -- I've been told "it's not easy or fast." #NASCAR

@JennaFryer: Second note on Road to Recovery; Once the B sample fails, completing the program is the ONLY way to be reinstated to #NASCAR

@AJDinger (AJ Allmendinger): I just want to say thank you first and foremost for all if u sticking by me. Please don't think me being quiet means i haven't been reading all ur

@AJDinger: Support. And man, it means more than u will ever know. I'm sorry we even have to have this going on. But i promise ..i will do whatever it

@AJDinger: Takes to get to the bottom of this and get back out there no matter what. Thanks guys.

@HigNASCAR (David Higdon): We're very pleased that AJ Allmendinger has chosen to participate in the #NASCAR Road to Recovery program. (1/3)

@HigNASCAR: It’s designed, as proven, to provide a roadmap leading to a return to competition, and we wish him the best of luck. (2/3) #NASCAR

@HigNASCAR: As with other competitors, we look forward to the day when the Program Administrator recommends him for reinstatement.” (3/3) #NASCAR

@JamieLittleESPN: Knowing my ESPN family begins Cup this weekend while I have another 2 weeks of pregnancy is tough. Patience is not my strength.

@DNewtonESPN: #NASCAR @AJDinger business manager says lab, to her understanding, ruled out ecstasy, cocaine, methamphetamines and alcohol.

@AllWaltrip: I'm having a rough day, but not as bad as @AJDinger, the road to recovery is a long and winding one but it's the only way, a place to start!

@DNewtonESPN: #NASCAR Dr. Black: "I'm not aware of any commercial products that would have influenced the test outcome.''

@MikeMassaroESPN: I know I can't fill @JamieLittleESPN shoes but will do my best on pit road at the Brickyard....Excited! It's been a few years!

@DeLanaharvick: everyday is an adventure! #lifeisgood RT @imchrisaust48: @DeLanaHarvick so how is life with keelan so far?

@31n2Spotter: It appears energy drinks have also been ruled out.... If they were a problem at all half the garage would have been suspended before now

@dennyhamlin: Wheels up for Indy in the morning. Not sure ive ever been this excited to get to a track as I am right now

@DeLanaHarvick: @KevinHarvick & I have been lying outside with Keelan for hours tonight! He loves being outdoors... #specialmemories

@jeff_gluck: .@JimmieJohnson’s 7:45 a.m. press conference has got to be the earliest one ever. Right? At least since I’ve been around.

@jeff_gluck: Jimmie walks in. A semi-surprised @KristineC48 says, “Oh, everyone is up! Does everyone hate me (for scheduling it)?” Naw!

@KristineC48 (Kristine Curley): Early bird gets the worm....7:45 am media availability. I'm sure there are some media members who love me right now https://twitter.com/KristineC48/status/229181512740896768/photo/1

@jeff_gluck: The crazy schedule today? Jimmie says he doesn’t mind it as a driver, but says tough on the crew guys. #NASCAR

@DNewtonESPN: #nascar http://mypict.me/neO3V diehards. Yes fans are here for 830 am cup practice.

@MartySmithESPN: Jessica Ghawi was killed in Aurora CO shooting. Today is her funeral. Her friends asked me for this pic. #RIPJessica https://twitter.com/MartySmithESPN/status/229196352364634112/photo/1

@bobpockrass: Carl Edwards stresses Bob Osborne dealing with health issues. Carl didn't know how serious they were until last week. #nascar

@CandiceSpencer: Edwards says if the 99 team doesn't perform and Osborne improves he could come back "nothing is set in stone" #nascar

@nateryan: Carl Edwards said he is getting a kick out of #ChadNorrisFacts. Has gotten many texts with the jokes. "We're having fun with it." #nascar

@DNewtonESPN: #NASCAR The good news on Bob Osborne is his health issues don't appear to be life threatening. He is not at Indy, though.

@jeff_gluck: Just saw a good deed: @bobpockrass gave up his seat in Dale Jr press conference for elderly man who walked in. Bob found another seat.

@DeLanaHarvick: Yeah I'm "that mom" whose idea of a shower is slapping on extra deodorant before making a target run to get Keelan supplies. #dontjudgeme

@queers4gears: one thing I LOVE about @IMS - camera shot from the cable tram down pit road/front stretch - simply the best "shot" in motorsports #NASCAR

@bobpockrass: I guess NASCAR felt that Kahne spun the tires or something because we haven't heard a penalty for the start. #nascar

@NASCAR_Realtime: How does #Nascar pick & choose who to make calls on & when to make them. #wth

@KevinHarvick: Seems I must not understand the rules of the start of the race. Please explain NASCAR we are all confused...

@KevinHarvick: I was told at Kentucky by nascar that even if the pole car did not go it was in my best interest not to beat him to the line.. #confused

@Kerry_Tharp: #NASCAR explains race start - green flag starts the race and once that happened the #38 car did not advance

@jeff_gluck: Never heard that rule before. I always heard the No. 2 starter could not beat the No. 1 starter to the line.

@jim_utter: Patrick was complaining about the driver and not able to pass him, then just flat out wrecked him #NASCAR

@jeff_gluck: Tony Eury Jr.: "We're putting (the car) on the truck. When we do stupid stuff like that, we don't go back out." #NASCAR

@SamanthaBusch: My motivational speech to the crew after that stop, "u all were (bleeping) fast, damn proud of u all. Let's kiss some bricks!!!!!"

@NASCAR_Realtime: Hell of a save by Kyle Busch there. Like him or not the guy knows how to drive out of a spin. #Nascar

@SamanthaBusch: Great save by Kyle no damage but handling off. Words don't explain how heartbreaking that was just want kb 2 win 1 so bad for kbm

@jeff_gluck: BLACK FLAG for Elliott Sadler due to jumping the restart!

@jeff_gluck: What is going on??? How was that different than Kasey Kahne/Kyle Busch start???

@jeff_gluck: Sadler is protesting because he says Austin Dillon had him "jacked up" and was pushing him.

@KevinHarvick: Holy cow there is a riot in bus 29 that is not right... after the call at the beginning of the race... #reallyconfused

@NASCAR_Realtime: There is no way that #Nascar can hold their heads up with an OUNCE of integrity following this race. They should be FINED! #Nascar

@jeff_gluck: Either the call at the start of the race was wrong or the Sadler call was wrong. Pick one.

@nateryan: Will be interesting to hear Brad Keselowski's take on that ... he openly has talked about the gamesmanship on restarts in the past. #nascar

@NASCAR_Realtime: So at Homestead if the guy ur behind in pts restarts in front of u. Just push him 2 the line ahead of leader. He'll b black flagged. #Nascar

@DeLanaHarvick: I'm totally confused....how was that any different than what happened at the start of the race? Anyone?

@JimmieJohnson: I feel for @Elliott_Sadler... What was he suppose to do with another car pushing him.

@jeff_gluck: Richard Childress to Sadler: “I’m gonna go to that trailer with you. That’s bullshit!”

@jeff_gluck: Media waiting for explanation from NASCAR. https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/229350839783915520/photo/1

@nascarcasm: As Brad Keselowski kisses the bricks, Elliott Sadler politely invites #NASCAR to kiss something else. #superweekend #smgarage

@keselowsk: I love these bricks! #nascar https://twitter.com/keselowski/status/229352047433117696/photo/1

@keselowski: Photo time! #nascar Did I mention I love vl? And these guys @penskeracing https://twitter.com/keselowski/status/229355594589536257/photo/1

@jeff_gluck: Sadler says NASCAR just told him he did NOT jump the start…. ?

@CandiceSpencer: http://lockerz.com/s/229144359 '@Elliott_Sadler talked to #NASCAR's Robin Pemberton who said #2 didn't jump the restart after reviewing video

@CandiceSpencer: '@Elliott_Sadler says "my heart was ripped out of my chest & I don't know why #nascar RC says "sad to lose a race under these conditions"

@jeff_gluck: Basically Sadler said NASCAR told him he didn’t do anything wrong. But we haven’t heard from NASCAR yet.

@TimCindric: Doesn't get much better!! https://twitter.com/TimCindric/status/229357970750857217/photo/1

@jeff_gluck: NASCAR still inside hauler. Media still outside waiting to hear their side. All RCR personnel have left.

@CandiceSpencer: http://lockerz.com/s/229146860 #NASCAR's Robin Pemberton says @Elliott_Sadler didnt jump restart but 2 needed to give position back to leader

@bobpockrass: Pemberton said they felt 22 spinning tires didn't contribute enough to Sadler beating him to the line to waive penalty. #nascar

@31n2Spotter: So we officially didn't jump it but we don't start actually racing until we get to start/finish? Now I'm confused. Just go at start line

@Elliott_Sadler: After meeting with NASCAR.. They said I DIDNT JUMP START but seems to be my fault the 22 spun his tires... I'm devastated.......

@Kenny_Wallace: I thought I had DRAMA last week after being told NO "Dash 4 Cash" for ME on a technicality, I feel "Horrible" for @Elliott_Sadler

@keselowski: I see now why all these fans are upset over @Elliott_Sadler penalty, Espn group did not properly explain the situation. #OhWell

@AllWaltrip: ok, here's my opinion on the restart rule, it's too complicated, the flag, a line on the wall, the restart box, kiss rule, go on the flag!

@mattkenseth: Katie K RT @HamlinFan_11: @mattkenseth What's your favorite animal???

@TJmajors: Just one of them judgement calls. I feel like the 2 woulda cleared the 22 anyway and that's somewhat unfair. It's their court.

@JimmieJohnson: Thanks @IMS. The cannon went off at 6 am followed by live music and helicopters flying above. Do you realize it's 6 AM and no one is here!!

@RChildress3 (Richard Childress): @Elliott_Sadler did every thing right , we are all very disappointed with @NASCAR call !! @tydillon @austindillon3 great runs @ Indy !

@JimmieJohnson: How about just opening the gate? @bawilliamson_: The @IMS cannon is a tradition signaling that gates are now open for the public to come in.

@RB_Mrs (Nicole Briscoe): Our set for Countdown. The not-so-#pitstudio http://instagram.com/p/Nqpg9tCZql/

@RB_Mrs: My view from our set. #pitstudio Indy just never gets old ☺ http://instagram.com/p/NqvXH4iZtc/

@DNewtonESPN: #nascar tells drivers everyone plays important part in restarts. Simple process. No brakechecks by leader or fool around to gain advantage.

@jeff_gluck: Jimmie asked what happens if he was 2nd and got pushed past the leader. NASCAR says “I can’t give you a definitive way to do this.”

@nateryan: Jimmie Johnson: What happens when front-row car gets pushed (like Elliott Sadler)? Hoots: 1) hope it doesn't happen; 2) drag brakes. #nascar

@jeff_gluck: Jimmie asks why not just throw a caution for a bad restart. Hoots stepped aside and Helton took the mic. Helton now lecturing as well.

@bobpockrass: Helton said they could go after driver (with a penalty) who does pushing.

@jim_utter: Only in #NASCAR could "don't beat the leader to the line" turn into 50 shades of gray

@bobpockrass: Roger Penske says he will sit down with AJ this week to discuss future. Said employees in company have been released but AJ a contractor.

@Elliott_Sadler: I love the camera shot from roof of 22.. Hear him going, spinning tires, then shows me being pushed by him... Great angle

@Elliott_Sadler: One small question.. Does racing start when leader goes on restarts???? Or does racing start at start finish line???

@KristineC48: Cute Evie is asleep on dad's shoulder. However, I think she may be rudely awoken soon. https://twitter.com/KristineC48/status/229624542560145409/photo/1

@MonteDutton: One day we will see a #NASCAR driver dive back into a burning car to retrieve his most important ally: his sponsor's cap.

@kaseykahne: Congrats Mr H and @JimmieJohnson 48 was Rollin today. Nice work to everyone involved!

@jeff_gluck: Did you know? ESPN showed the final 23 min. of the race without a commercial plus 8 min. of post-race interviews. 31 ad-free min. Nice.

@jim_utter: BREAKING: Genevieve Johnson confirms her dad, @jimmiejohnson, won today's #NASCAR race. Good enough for me !

@keselowski: disappointed with 9th today, thought we could win R. Penske's first #nascar cup race @IMS but it didn't play out. I made 2 many mistakes...

@chandrajanway (Chandra Johnson): So happy for my Hubbs @JimmieJohnson on his 4th Brickyard win! I am so glad our daughter got to kiss the bricks too! https://twitter.com/chandrajanway/status/229719109481402370/photo/1

@JimmieJohnson: Yes!!! @ The Brickyard http://instagram.com/p/Nr3f-tkpc8/

@55MarkMartin: It's a nice day in Michigan today. We are going to be testing here at MIS for the day along with about 28 other teams.

@bobpockrass: Why isn't Dale Jr testing at Michigan? Letarte: “I’ve never seen a Monday test be very beneficial for me or my team,” #nascar

@kaseykahne: Testing in Michigan today. Track and tire seem very similar so far to when we raced here a month ago. These cup crews work hard!

@ClintBowyer: Unbelievable these grip the way they do. Tire has over 10 laps on it and is polished smooth like its never been on!!! https://twitter.com/ClintBowyer/status/229956070980845571/photo/1

@landoncassill: Sitting on pit road and @keselowski gives me a little push. Easy man I gotta race this car this week https://twitter.com/landoncassill/status/230014688124088320/photo/1

@DeLanaHarvick: Hours & hours of being outside seems to make keelan a happy boy. Thinking of buying a tent & letting him sleep outside!  http://img.ly/lqpV

@MJ_Johnson (Michael Johnson): Well that concludes the Michigan tire test. I'm not sure what we confirmed other than testing is painfully boring and I don't care for it.

@Justin_Fiedler: So, I posted this photo on Sunday of our pit stall. Did anyone spot the problem with it? http://pic.twitter.com/x1TuC1sX #nascar@MarcosAmbrose

@DeLanaHarvick: So funny that a 3 wk old can wear bebe out! Everytime Keelan moves, cries or makes a peep Bebe comes running. #assedout http://img.ly/lqXu

@HermieSadler: So at the Olympics, the realized a mistake was made and they reversed a decision? What a novel concept. Lol.

@Kenny_Wallace: Roger Penske told me last week to "Stand By" I am ready :) .......RT"@josht56: What races are you running the 22?"

@DeLanaHarvick: ❤ @KevinHarvick... He took the early morning Keelan shift so I could sleep in! #gooddad #goodhubby

@DeLanaHarvick: I think @KevinHarvick has a future as tv commentator. He just gave detailed play-by-play of Keelan's diaper change as I was getting ready!

@jeff_gluck: Somebody drug-test me. I just hallucinated and thought I saw John Wes Townley is making Sprint Cup Series debut at Pocono. #WTF #WTF #WTF

@Amanda_Speed: Shooting for @speed RACE HUB at the hacienda today. :) http://lockerz.com/s/229919078

@Patricia_AFF (Patricia Driscoll): #kurtbusch throws his guys @PhoenixRacing51 a pizza party for the win #daytona. Great pumpkin in the background https://twitter.com/Patricia_AFF/status/230341013842055168/photo/1

@nascarcasm: John Wes Townley will be making Sprint Cup debut this weekend. In related news, every active driver has announced they retired last weekend.

@Elliott_Sadler: Had a great victory lunch today at RCR for our Chicagoland win...I love the passion of our race team...

@AllWaltrip: I can't for the life of me see why all everyone talks about is the restart at Indy on Saturday, what about the start, it was just as bad!

@keselowski: Ha, If you listen to sports radio or read blogs/twitter you'd swear I'm the worst driver to ever have 27 #nascar wins! #MakesMeLaugh

Summer Bedgood is a Senior Writer for Frontstretch.com. She can be reached via email at summer....@frontstretch.com.

~~~~~~~~~~

Are you looking to advertise your website, product or brand?  A good way to get your name out there is via direct advertising here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!  Interested parties can contact us at tony....@frontstretch.com for details.

~~~~~~~~~~

TODAY ON THE FRONTSTRETCH:

Did You Notice? ... NASCAR's Blind Earnhardt Prophecy, Diversity Disasters And Quick Hits
by Tom Bowles

Top 10 Improvements Pocono Should Make Next
by the Frontstretch Staff

NASCAR Sprint Cup Power Rankings: Top 15 after Indianapolis
compiled by Summer Bedgood

Mirror Driving
by the Frontstretch Staff

Meet the Six Drivers Making Their (Sorta) Debuts This Weekend
by Kevin Rutherford

The Thunder Gun: NASCAR's Glue That Binds A Family Together
by Mike Neff

Open-Wheel Wednesday: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
by Huston Ladner

~~~~~~~~~~

FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:

Q: For Dale Jarrett, the 2001 Pennsylvania 500 was a decent race until he was caught up in a wreck exiting Turn 3. The team then repaired his UPS Ford. What happened after that?

Check back Thursday for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!

Tuesday's Answer:

Q:
Joe Nemechek lived up to his "Front Row Joe" nickname by winning the pole for the 1997 Pennsylvania 500 at Pocono. However, after leading 11 laps, an incident took him out of contention for a decent finish. What happened?

A:
Just after a restart due to a debris caution, Bobby Labonte got into the back of his older brother Terry in the Tunnel Turn. Terry spun in front of Dale Earnhardt and much of the rest of the field, triggering a scramble. Officially, 11 cars were wrapped up in the crash; in Nemechek's case, he ended up running over the left rear of Kenny Wallace's Ford. The crash can be seen at the 5:15 mark of this clip. Nemechek's car wasn't seriously damaged, but he did drop out of any real contention; he eventually finished the race in 21st, one lap down.

~~~~~~~~~~

Coming tomorrow in the Frontstretch Newsletter:
-- Top News from Phil Allaway
--
What's Vexing Vito by Vito Pugliese
--

~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow on the Frontstretch:

MPM2Nite by Matt McLaughlin
Matt McLaughlin is back again this season with his usual sarcastic sense of humor ... and incomparable insight. This week, Matt is off, but never fear because he left us an oldie but goodie in the form of 1313 Turkey Court, a piece that has easily been a fan favorite for nearly a decade.

Potts' Shots by John Potts
Fanning the Flames has become Potts' Shots, and John Potts is here to answer your questions in our weekly Fan Q & A. Do you have something you'd like to ask John? Don't sit on the sidelines! Send it to john....@frontstretch.com and you just may see your question in print next week!

Professor Of Speed by Mark Howell
Our professor of racing history "has at it" with another column pertinent to the sport at large. This week, Mark is looks at the lack of "real" news in NASCAR this season and what it has to do with a corpse watching the sport.

Dollars And Sense by Jesse Medford
The newest addition to the Fronstretch family takes a look at the business side of NASCAR.

Truckin' Thursdays by Beth Lunkenheimer
Beth is back this year on a new night, but it's the same great commentary you've come to enjoy on NASCAR's Truck Series! On tap this week is the overall health of the Truck Series and where it stands compared to Nationwide at this point.

Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2012 Frontstretch.com