The Frontstretch Newsletter: The Latest Sprint Unlimited Info

Frontstretch.com

Feb 14, 2015, 11:37:35 AM2/14/15
to The Frontstretch
THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
Feb. 14, 2015
Volume IX, Edition X

~~~~~~~~~~
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO YOU AND YOURS! - The Frontstretch Staff
~~~~~~~~~~
FRONTSTRETCH AT THE TRACK! We're at the track from Daytona covering all the Sprint Unlimited action. Follow our writer, Mike Neff at @MNeffShortTrack and be sure to check our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for all the latest news, reaction, and results from a full day down at the 2.5-mile superspeedway.
~~~~~~~~~~
What to Watch: Saturday

- Today, two racing series officially begin their 2015 seasons. The ARCA Racing series runs their Daytona event, the Lucas Oil 200 with LIVE coverage beginning at 4 p.m. on FOX Sports 1. Then, NASCAR's top dogs, the Sprint Cup Series run their exhibition Sprint Unlimited. LIVE coverage begins on FOX Sports at 8 p.m. (All times Eastern)

- A number of practices for the Cup Series, in advance of tomorrow's Daytona 500 will be run along with a number of expected announcements. Check the TV schedule below for times and more information.
~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend's TV Schedule can be found in Couch Potato Tuesday here.

Top News
by The Frontstretch Staff

Jeff Gordon Fastest in Final Sprint Unlimited Practice

Jeff Gordon, in what will likely be his final Sprint Unlimited appearance led the way in final practice for tonight's exhibition event. Read More

Paul Menard, Kasey Kahne Lead Sprint Unlimited Lineup

A pair of drivers who have never won a Cup Series race at Daytona lead the field for tonight's Sprint Unlimited. Paul Menard and Kasey Kahne were the lucky ones during a drawing held at Daytona's Sprint FANZone. Get Your Starting Lineup Here

Cody Ware Set to Join MAKE Motorsports in 2015

Little MAKE Motorsports is growing. The Camping World Truck Series team announced an expansion from one to two trucks in 2015; both will run full-time. While the first truck will be a hodgepodge of drivers, young Cody Ware was announced as the full-time driver of the second truck, the No. 50; he'll run for Rookie of the Year. Read More

Have news for The Frontstretch?  Don't hesitate to let us know; email us at phil.a...@frontstretch.com with a promising lead or tip.

~~~~~~~~~~
Frontstretch Folio: Sprint Unlimited
by Rick Lunkenheimer

NASCAR begins to come out of hibernation tonight at Daytona International Speedway. Television coverage for the Sprint Unlimited begins at 8 p.m. ET on FOX. Drivers will compete for 75 laps (187.5 miles) en route to the checkered flag.

Records and Facts

Only one driver has swept the Sprint Unlimited, Daytona 500 and Coke Zero 400 since 1979. Bobby Allison accomplished the feat in 1982 during an eight-win season where he finished runner-up in the championship standings to Darrell Waltrip.

The closest margin of victory in this race came in 2012, when Kyle Busch took the victory over Tony Stewart. Busch won by 0.013 seconds.

Track Facts

Track / Race Length: 2.5-mile tri-oval; 75 laps (187.5 miles)
Pit Road Speed: 55 mph
Degree of Banking: 31 degrees; tri-oval 18 degrees
Frontstretch: 3,800 ft., 6 degrees of banking
Backstretch: 3,400 ft., 3 degrees of banking
Grandstand Seating: 147,000
Website: http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DaytonaInternationalSpeedway
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DISupdates

Race Day Forecast

Saturday: Mainly Sunny
High: 63
Low: 46

They Said It

“I can’t wait for Saturday night. Being in the Sprint Unlimited is even more important now since there is no testing. It’s a great opportunity to get on the track and see what you’ve got, a warmup to how the following week will go.” Greg Biffle

“That was good news when NASCAR changed the qualifying requirements for the Sprint Unlimited. When you're at Daytona you want to race when everybody else is racing, you don't want to be on the sidelines. The Sprint Unlimited is a fun race without the pressure of points. This race always seems to get a little dicey but that's what we enjoy.” Martin Truex, Jr.

Rick is a Contributor and Photographer for Frontstretch. He can be reached at rick.lun...@frontstretch.com.
COMING MONDAY
In The Frontstretch Newsletter:
We'll have a recap of the Sprint Unlimited and break down pole qualifying for the Daytona 500

On Frontstretch.com:
We'll have a series of post-race commentaries breaking down Saturday night's Sprint Unlimited and what it could predict for the rest of Speedweek0s.
Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2015 Frontstretch.com