The Frontstretch Newsletter: NASCAR - We Support Removal Of Confederate Flag

Frontstretch.com

Jun 24, 2015, 1:04:21 PM6/24/15
to The Frontstretch
THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
June 24, 2015
Volume IX, Edition CIV

~~~~~~~~~~
What to Watch: Wednesday

- Today, the transit to Sonoma continues.  If news breaks, keep your browser on Frontstretch and we will update you on it.

- Also, Cole Pearn, crew chief of Martin Truex, Jr.'s No. 78 Chevrolet for Furniture Row Racing, is conducting an AMA (Ask me Anything) in Reddit's NASCAR subreddit today at 1 p.m.  Anything is fair game, so go right ahead and ask pointed questions about racing, or even just random questions.
~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday's TV Schedule can be found in Couch Potato Tuesday here.

Top News
by the Frontstretch Staff

NASCAR, ISC Release Statements on Governor Haley’s Confederate Flag Position

On Tuesday, both NASCAR and ISC released separate statements pledging support for Governor Nikki Haley's opinion that the Confederate Battle Flag should be removed from the grounds of South Carolina's State Capitol.  Read more

Bobby Pierce Joins MB Motorsports for NCWTS Debut at Eldora

The addition of Eldora Speedway to the Camping World Truck Series schedule starting in 2013 has resulted in a number of drivers making their debut on the dirt.  2015 will be no exception as MB Motorsports has signed dirt late model racer Bobby Pierce to drive one of their entries as a teammate to Jake Griffin.  Read more

Pit Crew Member Ernest Pierce Indefinitely Suspended by NASCAR

On Wednesday, NASCAR announced that Ernest Pierce, a crewmember in the Sprint Cup Series, tested positive for an unnamed banned substance.  As a result, he has been suspended from NASCAR indefinitely.  Read more

Chicagoland Speedway and Groupon to Offer Fans With “NASCAR Fantasy Camp” Package

Tuesday, Chicagoland Speedway announced an unusual promotion that will be available in September during the opening weekend of the Chase for the Sprint Cup.  Chicagoland Speedway and Groupon are partnering to offer fans a "NASCAR Fantasy Camp" for 60 lucky fans.  It includes tickets, weekend credentials, Pit Zone access, a meet-and-greet with Rusty Wallace, a pace car ride, and more.  Read more

Have news for The Frontstretch? Don't hesitate to let us know; email us at phil.a...@frontstretch.com with a promising lead or tip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Featured Commentary
The Future is Now
Professor of Speed
by Mark Howell

It’s a brave new world.

The announcement this week that Microsoft is beginning a long-term relationship with both NASCAR and Hendrick Motorsports came as excitingly-ominous news.

Maybe the “good ol’ days” of tobacco, beer, and motor oil sponsorships are shorter lived than we think?

Technology has always enjoyed an intimate relationship with motorsports. Computers and smartphones have become as familiar as jackstands and wrenches in the garage area. Test sessions look more like computer workshops as engineers assume a greater role within racing organizations.

This development is not new, by any means but it’s certainly one that’s becoming more and more apparent. Notice the lack of NASCAR inspectors standing along pit road. Humans have been replaced by cameras in search for greater control over teams and more regulation over competition.

I’m not sure that has been the smartest of innovations, however. We are seeing an increase in the number of Sprint Cup drivers who complain of wheel vibrations and need additional pit stops to correct the problem. Back when carbon-based inspectors roamed pit road, missed lug nuts were often caught and corrected before they turned into potential accidents.

This new era of Big Brother in racing has been accelerated by advances in technology, much as it has in our everyday lives. My iPhone allows me to be tracked, traced, and followed as if I had a personal bodyguard or internal microchip. Am I OK with such transparency? I guess so, given the benefits of access to life-changing technology.

And now those benefits come – in even larger amounts than we currently see – to NASCAR.

Microsoft’s new agreement with NASCAR involves a significant relationship with the sanctioning body, as well as a two-race primary sponsorship (at Sonoma and Pocono) of Dale Earnhardt, Jr.’s No. 88 Chevrolet. Sonoma is a relevant location for the start of this deal given its proximity to both Microsoft and Apple headquarters.

Should we be surprised by such an arrangement? Probably not.

Serious computer technology has been part of Formula One and IndyCar racing for years. Recent Microsoft advertisements celebrating “cloud computing” tout the fact that the Lotus F1 team uses such innovation to streamline their operation. NASCAR uses Microsoft technology in an ongoing effort to improve the inspection process, so signing with Sprint Cup’s most popular driver seems like a natural next step.

According to Microsoft’s official statement, as published on Jayski.com:

"NASCAR and Hendrick Motorsports are perpetual innovators in motorsports,” said Steve Guggenheimer, Corporate Vice President, Developer Experience and Evangelism at Microsoft. “This sport demands constant innovation, to have its boundaries pushed, so that the sport delivers the exciting experiences expected by fans…. We're looking forward to the next solutions that we can deploy with both NASCAR and Hendrick Motorsports to push each of our organizations forward."

Is it just me, or does the title of “Developer Experience and Evangelism” sound a tad unsettling?

Will Junior’s next win come with him thanking Bill Gates for a safe race?

Let’s get back to semantics here. Microsoft’s new agreement calls for the company to become an “Official Technology Partner” with NASCAR. The company will also be a “major technology partner” with Hendrick Motorsports.

If I was affiliated with a non-HMS operation, I think I’d be, in the famed parlance of Elmer Fudd: “Vewwwwwy afraid”….

Does Microsoft’s explicit deal with Hendrick reduce other teams to “minor” partner status? I know from experience this "prioritization" has long been a suspicion regarding race engines.

From 2001 through '03, I was affiliated with a Cup Series team that leased motors from both Robert Yates Racing and Roush Racing. Even though the tuners who came with the engines (to help oversee their performance) swore that the power plants were exactly the same as those used by the builder’s flagship teams, there were weeks when it seemed otherwise. A balky engine under our hood would struggle in comparison to one that carried the builder’s own “in-house” car to Victory Lane.

So will Microsoft better NASCAR while also helping to better the particular fortunes of Hendrick Motorsports? Given the success of HMS, I don’t see how that kind of improvement is possible….

What seems most possible is that the “blessing” bestowed on stock car racing by Microsoft will lead to additional technology-based relationships within our sport. Computer culture is such a common part of NASCAR Nation that the new "Daytona Rising” complex at Daytona International Speedway will feature Wi-Fi-enhanced “neighborhoods” dedicated to the accepted use of social media. Going to the 2016 Daytona 500 will be a heavily connected experience. Gone are the days when being “connected” meant knowing someone who could get you a pit pass.

So is Microsoft’s newly-signed agreement with NASCAR (and HMS) truly a great development? It can be as long as the relationship benefits all parties involved, from the engineers at the track to the fans in the stands. If money buys speed, NASCAR should look to make more direct connections with the high-tech sector.

By the grace of Bill Gates, it should be an improvement….

Dr. Mark Howell is a contributor for Frontstretch. He can be reached via e-mail at mark....@frontstretch.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TODAY AT FRONTSTRETCH:
by Tom Bowles

by Greg Davis

by Amy Henderson

compiled by Michael Mehedin

as told to Joseph Wolkin
~~~~~~~~~~
FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:

Q: Dave Rezendes ended up redeeming himself after getting bounced from what should have been his Winston Cup debut earlier in the year by winning the 1996 Kragen 151 at then-Sears Point Raceway.  One of his main competitors, Mike Skinner, took himself out of contention on a restart.  What happened?

Check back Thursday for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!

Tuesday's Answer:

Q:  Staying on the topic of Sonoma in 1996, you might notice that Ricky Craven qualified third for the race.  However, he did not qualify the car.  Who did and why?

A:  Craven's Kodiak Chevrolet was qualified by Ron Hornaday, Jr.  At the time, Sonoma was the week after the spring race at Talladega on the schedule.  Talladega saw Craven take his infamous ride into the catchfence.  Craven started the race in the rear of the field, then put Hornaday in the car at the end of the first lap.
COMING TOMORROW
In The Frontstretch Newsletter:
We'll have any news that breaks in the world of NASCAR. In addition, John Potts returns with another interesting commentary.

On Frontstretch.com:
Toni Montgomery is back with another look at the NHRA in Nitro Shots.
Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2015 Frontstretch.com