The Frontstretch Newsletter: Texas Qualifying Starts Now on FOX Sports 1!

Frontstretch.com

Apr 8, 2016, 2:46:40 PM4/8/16
to The Frontstretch
THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
Apr. 8, 2016
Volume X, Edition XLVII

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NEW POSTING: SALES & BRANDING MANAGER

Frontstretch is seeking a dynamic, creative individual to head our sales team. The individual would be responsible for the following:
- Engaging new partners and taking the lead in brokering agreements for sales & advertising across all Frontstretch outlets: Website, Newsletter, Podcast, and video content
- Responding to exposure inquiries from potential advertisers
- Working with our social media team to enhance the marketing and branding experience for our advertising clients

The position will be a direct report to our Business and Financial Manager, a position that also will work closely with the Majority Owner and Social Media team. A fast-growing website whose writers have won multiple NMPA Awards, the Frontstretch is well-positioned for success in 2016 and has a healthy audience of over seven figures per year. The role, while initially commission-based offers a generous percentage and perks down the road for this startup company. Frontstretch management has, in many cases been in place for nearly a decade before becoming a for-profit website and we're excited to welcome the right person into this family atmosphere.

Interested parties should email tbow...@yahoo.com with a short note on why they're interested and their current resume. Serious inquiries only.

What to Watch: Friday

- Today, the XFINITY Series races in the O'Reilly Auto Parts 300.  However, before that, the Sprint Cup Series qualifies at 1:30 p.m. local time.

FOLLOW THE FRONTSTRETCH THIS WEEKEND IN TEXAS FROM OUR COLLEAGUES:

Beth Lunkenheimer (@Beth_Frntstrtch)

and our own Twitter page, @Frontstretch as well for updates!
~~~~~~~~~~

This weekend's TV Schedule can be found
here.

Top News
by The Frontstretch Staff

Martin Truex Jr. Fastest in Opening Practice at Texas

On Thursday, the Sprint Cup Series held their first 90-minute practice session of the weekend at Texas Motor Speedway.  Martin Truex, Jr. was fastest with a lap of 27.995 seconds (192.892 mph).  Team Penske teammates Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano were second and third, followed by Austin Dillon and Brian Vickers.  Read more

Erik Jones Sweeps XFINITY Series Practice Sessions in Texas

On Thursday, Erik Jones was fastest in both XFINITY Series practices by rather substantial margins.  In the first session, he was nearly a half-second faster than Ty Dillon in second.  In Happy Hour, that margin was down to a quarter-second, but teammate Kyle Busch inserted himself into second.  Read more

Gray Gaulding Signs XFINITY Series Deal with Roush Fenway Racing

Roush Fenway Racing announced on Thursday that Gray Gaulding has been signed to a deal that will see the young racer drive the No. 60 Ford in two races.  Those races are Bristol in August and Richmond in September.  Read more

~~~~~~~~~~~
Frontstretch Folio: Duck Commander 500
by Phil Allaway

This weekend, the Sprint Cup Series returns to action for their first night race of the season at Texas Motor Speedway.  The Duck Commander 500 can be seen on FOX starting at 7 p.m. EDT.  It can also be listened to on PRN Radio and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio (Channel 90).

Records and facts

Last year, Jimmie Johnson passed Jamie McMurray with 15 laps to go and held off the pack to take his fifth career victory.  Kevin Harvick continued his impressive run to start 2015 with another second-place finish.  Dale Earnhardt, Jr. was third, followed by Team Penske teammates Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski.  McMurray ended up in sixth.

Jimmie Johnson is the winningiest driver in the history of Texas Motor Speedway, winning six times at the 1.5 mile quad-oval.  Entering this weekend, he has won the last three Cup races there and four of the last five.  Carl Edwards has three wins at TMS, while Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin each have two wins a piece.

Track Facts
Track / Race Length: 1.5 mile quad-oval, 334 laps (501 miles)
Banking: 24 degrees

Frontstretch: 2,250 ft., banked 5 degrees

Backstretch: 1,330 ft., banked 5 degrees

Grandstand Seating: 128,655 (total capacity 181,655)
Pit Road Speed: 45 mph
Pace Car Speed: 55 mph
Opened: 1997

Website: http://www.texasmotorspeedway.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/texasmotorspeedway

Twitter: http://twitter.com/TXMotorSpeedway

Remaining Pre-Race Schedule:

Qualifying: Friday, April 8, 2:45 p.m. on FOX Sports 1

Happy Hour: Friday, April 8, 6:30 p.m. - 7:50 p.m. on FOX Sports 1

Say What?!

"We’ve had really fast cars at Texas the last few times we’ve been there. I’m looking forward to going back. I’ve said it over and over -- I like this new package. It’s great. Every week has been fun. The cars are fun to drive, slipping and sliding. It’s a good challenge and I’m enjoying it. I think the fans are going to see good racing again this weekend." - Dale Earnhardt, Jr.

"It’s crazy to think that we have won all those races in a row (at Texas. Why? I don’t know, really (laughs). I think part of it is the surface at Texas is seasoned. It's older, so it just fits my driving style and the No. 48 Lowe’s team. Plus, it’s such a long race and we have all that time to make the right adjustments. It’s fun – they always put on a good show at Texas." - Jimmie Johnson

"I think Texas should be a lot like Atlanta because that track is getting slicker every time we go there. I think in qualifying you’re going to see the lines move around more than just sticking to the bottom. And during the race, I think the cars are going to be running all over the racetrack. Should be another great show with a lot of side-by-side racing. The fans are going to like it." - Landon Cassill

"I really love going to Texas.  It has been such an important track for my career. We made our first Cup start here and won our first XFINITY race. It really motivates you to do well when you have a history at a track like I have here.

"Getting to race in AdvoCare’s backyard is definitely something I look forward to each year.  It really provides an extra incentive knowing that AdvoCare is based so close to here. Hopefully we will make them proud on Saturday night." - Trevor Bayne

Phil Allaway is the Newsletter Manager and a Senior Writer for Frontstretch.com.  He can be reached via e-mail at phil.a...@frontstretch.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TODAY ON FRONTSTRETCH:

by Zach Catanzareti

by Sean Fesko

by Joseph Wolkin
as told to Mike Neff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:

Q: During Thursday's coverage of Sprint Cup practice from Texas, Jeff Gordon described how the track flattens out significantly at the exit of turn 4.  However, Gordon was referring to the revised setup.  When was turn 4 at Texas re-profiled to make the corner less likely to throw drivers into the wall?

Check back tomorrow for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!

Thursday's Answer:

Q: You've probably seen the clip of Dale Earnhardt running to meet his son in Victory Lane at Texas in 2000 after Dale Earnhardt, Jr. won his first Winston Cup race.  Who did Earnhardt shove out of the way and deposit on his tokhes in order to get to Dale Jr. first?

A: Earnhardt basically knocked over Jade Gurss, Earnhardt Jr.'s PR rep at the time (today, Gurss is an accomplished author of books (In the Red: The 2001 Season with Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Beast: The Top Secret Ilmor-Penske Engine That Shocked The Racing World At The Indy 500) and a PR representative for Mazda).  In the book Driver #8 (written by Dale Earnhardt, Jr. and Gurss), the situation was described thusly: "As [Gurss] is within reach of the cockpit, a huge hand grabs him by the shoulder, throwing him backwards like an empty can of Bud.  The team owner has arrived, and nothing and no one is standing between Dale Earnhardt, Sr. and me."

COMING MONDAY
In The Frontstretch Newsletter:
We'll have recaps of the Sprint Cup and XFINITY Series events from Texas Motor Speedway.  There will also be an update on the points and any other news that breaks this weekend.

On Frontstretch.com:
We'll have a series of post-race commentaries breaking down this weekend's action in Texas.

Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2016 Frontstretch.com