The Frontstretch Newsletter: June 12th, 2012

Frontstretch.com

Jun 12, 2012, 9:59:29 AM6/12/12
to The Frontstretch

THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
June 12th, 2012
Volume VI, Edition CVIII

Editor's Note: In yesterday's Newsletter, we noted that Kyle Busch was the last driver to win from the pole (prior to Joey Logano pulling it off on Sunday) when he was victorious in the inaugural Quaker State 400 at Kentucky Speedway.  While he did pull off that feat of strength, he wasn't the last man to do it.  A week after Kyle Busch did it, Ryan Newman won the Lenox Industrial Tools 301 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway from the pole.  We apologize for this mix-up.

What To Watch: Tuesday

- Goodyear is holding a tire test at the recently grinded down Bristol Motor Speedway, starting today in order to test whether the changes will necessitate a new compound for when NASCAR's top-3 series return to the half-mile oval in August.  Tony Stewart, Clint Bowyer and Jeff Burton will be testing both today and tomorrow.  Unfortunately, the test is not open to the public.  We'll have news and speeds here in the Newsletter either tomorrow or Thursday, although the forecast for the next 24 hours doesn't look good; there is an 80 percent chance of showers and/or thunderstorms.

- Today might also bring news about the future of Kurt Busch.  Phoenix Racing owner James Finch has stated that he wants to sit down with Busch for a "Come to Jesus" meeting, which has been scheduled for this afternoon about the driver's recent one-race suspension and how to move forward.  The result of that talk will more than likely determine whether or not Kurt will continue behind the wheel of the No. 51.  If anything big happens, we'll have a Breaking News item at Frontstretch.

Today's Top News
by Kevin Rutherford

Ford to Unveil 2013 NASCAR Fusion, Version 2.0 at Michigan

Changes continue to befall Ford's new Fusion that will debut once the 2013 season begins. After first unveiling the car in January and revealing a team paint scheme Memorial Day weekend, Ford Racing will showcase more updates to the car in conjunction with this weekend's racing at Michigan International Speedway.

According to the manufacturer, the newest adjustments to the Fusion accentuate a heightened brand identity. Actual grille bars will adorn the car's front end, rather than the stickered front grille revealed in January. The updated car also possesses a more detailed headlight area and defined hood lines.

"We had an opportunity to add more personality and detail to the race car," said Garen Nicoghosian, the Ford design manager in charge of the NASCAR project. "We took advantage of this opportunity and sculpted a more aggressive front end and we added grille bars that are identical in design to the production car. We also added more detail to the fog light housings, and created a more detailed headlight area as well. In addition, we also sculpted a more aggressive hood, and were able to achieve a closer look to the production car.

"Our race car is even closer in design to the production car now, and we are very pleased with the results."

A new image of the car can be found on Ford Racing's website.

Matt and Ross Kenseth Competing in Milwaukee ASA Race

Father-son duo Matt and Ross Kenseth have raced each other twice before in competition. Following this Tuesday (June 12th), you can make that three times. The Kenseths will square off in the ASA Midwest Tour Swiss Colony Howie Lettow 150, to be held at the Milwaukee Mile. The two drivers are among 80 entrants for the event which will showcase how far the 19-year-old has come.

"I think it's going to be the biggest short track race in years up in Wisconsin," said the elder Kenseth, the defending Daytona 500 champion. "It will be a pretty cool race and a really big event. I’m excited to go race in the event this year, but it really all came together after we had an extra car in the shop, and I just decided that it would be fun to set it up and race it a few times this summer."

Ross, an up-and-coming young talent, has raced in the ASA series before. He is also a frequent competitor in the PASS South Series.

Says Matt of racing his son: "Of course I want him to do well and I always hope that he’ll outrace me, but I don’t race him any differently than anyone else. Ross has been doing well with his racing career. He had a lot going on catching up from this winter and us moving our shop down to North Carolina, but he’s been working hard and has already won a race this year."

News Bites

- Former Nationwide Series champion Jeff Green will continue to fill in for Eric McClure behind the wheel of the No. 14 Hefty Chevrolet this weekend at Michigan. McClure, the full-time driver for the TriStar Motorsports team is still recovering from a concussion suffered in May's Talladega wreck and has not yet been cleared by doctors to race.

- 2012 FOX Ratings for NASCAR, finalized Monday were a disappointment for officials down in Daytona Beach. Over 13 races this season, the network's Sprint Cup telecasts dropped to a 4.8 average rating in the Nielsens, which works out to about 7.9 million viewers tuning in per race. That ties broadcast lows for the series since the contract moved to Rupert Murdoch's network in 2001. While the Daytona 500 suffered an eight percent decline, in part due to its first ever rainout only the Bristol race, run on the same weekend as 2011 could claim a direct increase over year-to-year numbers from the previous season.

Have news for Kevin and the Frontstretch? Don't hesitate to let us know; email us at ashl...@mail.com with a promising lead or tip.

~~~~~~~~~~

Got NASCAR-related questions or comments?
Send them John Potts' way at john....@frontstretch.com; and if you're lucky, you'll get your name in print when he does his weekly column answering back to you – the fans that keep Frontstretch afloat. Potts' Shots will run on Thursdays with a whole new set of Fan Questions and Answers!

~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Featured Commentary
Joey Logano: Finally Figuring Out How to Win
Sitting In The Stands: A Fan's View
by S.D. Grady

Joey Logano is still so damn young!  But you know, that final maneuver on Mark Martin Sunday afternoon was no rookie deal.  It takes a focused, hungry racer who will see a veteran stumble and chose that moment to push -- push the one who slipped, pushing his car right on by and into Pocono's Victory Lane.  Logano made it all look real easy, like he's been there before.  But he hasn't... not really.

It has been almost three years since Joey took the checkers in his Home Depot machine at Loudon, NH for his lone career win.  And, well, when you stumble into a fuel mileage / rain-shortened miracle as a rookie, there won't be too many generous NASCAR fans out there who will say you earned that one.  The stigma of a "gimme" remained firmly glued to the native Connecticut driver's career ever since.  Sliced Bread became moldy toast and with fickle NASCAR fans' usual disinterest in giving their adoration to a sainted son, it soon became the favorite pastime of the campgrounds to poke fun at the shooting star.

Over in the infield, there was a different story.   Everybody, it seemed, just couldn't say enough good things about the Gibbs development driver, shooting him right to the top of the firmament before he could even order a beer.  Yes, Logano could smile at the camera on cue and give a good interview -- having practiced that talent well and hard in the now K&N Pro Series East -- but what about the ability to win a race?  When he drove the best piece of machinery back in the development series garage, he had no trouble aiming the car in the right direction and taking home all the hardware.  I sat in the stands and mumbled things about monkeys and bulletproof machinery.

But when Joey climbed behind the wheel of the Cup version of the No. 20, winning didn't come so easily.  Not at all.  He didn't own the vocabulary on how to fix a loose car -- it simply hadn't been a problem in the past.  Wheeling next to drivers who were more confident, with better equipment didn't help the teen any, either.  Nobody, it seemed, was on his side anymore.  And so the "next best thing" slipped down and out, often lingering below the media radar while his future drifted into troubled waters.  Wasn't it just last year we all wondered if he would still have a ride at Gibbs in 2012?  Things just didn't look good as he failed to keep his Toyota inside the top 20.

Then again, another young man had been busy tearing up every kind of pavement in any vehicle he could put his hands on.  Joey's teammate, Kyle Busch, had spent these same past four years building the kind of reputation a talk-show host drools to earn.  Nationwide, Cup, Trucks, meltdowns, so many wins it's hard to count... it didn't stop.  No wonder Wonder Bread appeared such a bad investment as a Cup driver.  Nobody, save for Mr. Five-Time was collecting the sort of records that the younger Busch was racking up.

In any other decade, the now 22-year-old Joey Logano would have still looked like the next great up-and-comer.  He knew how to make noise, be gracious, and even pick a fight when push came to shove (just ask Kevin Harvick).  He seemed to have everything the M&M boy had -- just no wins.

But after all that time, we -- the fans -- just sort of got tired of waiting for the fireworks.  Maybe they just weren't going to come.  This wouldn't be the first time we got all excited about a promising youth only to be disappointed.  I'll admit I dismissed any rumblings about the continually underperforming Home Depot car this year; the deal was done.  Joey was toast. My head began to turn in another direction, except...

Joey's name kept popping up in the Nationwide Series recently.  He's notched four victories this year, and more than once used his chrome bumper to gain what has been so elusive on the Cup level.  In the closing laps of the Darlington race, Elliott Sadler suffered from Logano's impatience -- altering the complexion of the series points race.  At Dover, Joey capitalized on Ryan Truex's inexperience and the interference of lapped traffic to steal that win in the closing laps.  At Talladega, the No. 18 rode the high side around his Cup stablemate Kyle Busch to snap a photo finish.

When those four Nationwide Victory Lane appearances are strung together, there is a common thread that runs down the list -- late-race pushes.  Hungry moves.  A little bit of a chip on Joey's shoulder and a big engine combining to land the pilot exactly where he loves to be.

Which, if you compare those performances to Sunday's, the similarities rise to the surface, yet again.  Logano scored the pole, so you know he liked how the machine felt in the corners.  He ran a strong race, leading 49 laps, and never lost sight of that clean air.  There was only that last restart with Mark Martin which captured our imagination and threatened to ruin the afternoon.  But, it also lit the fire burning bright in Mr. Logano's belly.

A little wiggle by the No. 55 resulted in a loss of momentum, and the No. 20 didn't hesitate to make the most of the error by the revered veteran.  Logano nudged Martin's rear bumper, essentially moving the Aaron's machine over, and drove off into the sunset.

That, folks, is how you win in the Sprint Cup Series.

Joey Logano finally broke through the way he'd always meant to rise up.  It looked an awful lot like many of his other victories in a relatively short but lucrative racing career -- just on the level he'd always dreamed of doing it.  And, considering how often he has achieved wins like this one in recent weeks, I'm thinking it's possible he may have finally figured out how that toaster works.

Welcome back, Sliced Bread.

Sonya's Weekly Danica Stat
The GoDaddy Merchandise hauler came in last as it commuted from Eldora Speedway to Pocono earlier this week.  The tractor trailer was rear-ended by another truck, which resulted in extensive damage to the GoDaddy vehicle (First seen on SB Nation).

Danica did not race this week.

S.D. Grady is a Senior Editor for Frontstretch.com.  She can be reached via e-mail at sonya...@frontstretch.com.  Follow her on Twitter at @laregna.

~~~~~~~~~~

Numbers Game: Pocono 400
by Garrett Horton

3
There have been three lead changes at the top of the points this season among three different drivers.  Matt Kenseth took the top spot for the second time in 2012, bumping Greg Biffle, who had held onto the position since Vegas.  Denny Hamlin is the only other driver to have the led the points, occupying the top spot for one week after his victory at Phoenix.

4
Joe Gibbs Racing now has four wins on the Cup circuit this year, more than any other team. Hamlin has two, while Kyle Busch and Joey Logano have one apiece.

5

Since nearly winning Kansas in April, Martin Truex, Jr. has faded five spots in the standings in the six races since, dropping from second to seventh.

6
Denny Hamlin has led 19 or more laps in the last six Pocono races.

7
Mark Martin has now finished second at Pocono seven times, yet has failed to visit the winners' circle at the Tricky Triangle.  Sunday was the first time he has finished runner-up here since 2004 and first top-5 result since he finished third in 2005.

9
Logano’s victory on Sunday made it nine times a Joe Gibbs car has won at the 2.5-mile triangle, matching Atlanta and Richmond for most wins at a track.

9th
After finishing inside the top 10 in three of the first four races, Paul Menard finally got his fourth top 10 of the year with a ninth-place effort on Sunday.

10
Landon Cassill, whose BK Racing is not a start-and-park entry, has completed just ten out of 560 laps the past two weeks.  He managed just one lap at Pocono before crashing out and went nine laps at Dover before contact with Tony Stewart ended his day early.

10
Joey Logano’s win on Sunday made it ten different winners in 14 races this year.  Tony Stewart, Hamlin, Brad Keselowski, and Jimmie Johnson are the only two-time winners in 2012.

11

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. already has 11 top-10 finishes in 2012, more than any other driver and just one short of his total for all of last year.

12.5
Despite leaving one of NASCAR's top teams in Richard Childress Racing for a rookie team at Michael Waltrip Racing, Clint Bowyer is having a career year from a consistency standpoint.  His 12.5 average finish this season would eclipse his previous best of 13.8 back in 2007 when he finished third in the final point standings.

19
There were a total of 19 lead changes in the Pocono 400 on Sunday in the race's first running of 400 miles.  In last June's 500-mile affair, there were only 18 lead changes.

22.4

AJ Allmendinger’s average finishing position for the year, one he called a "nightmare" on Sunday after crashing out for Penske Racing.

93
Of the 198 laps Joey Logano has led in his career, 93 of them have come at Pocono.

Garrett Horton is a Contributor for Frontstretch.com.  He can be reached via e-mail at
garrett...@frontstretch.com.

~~~~~~~~~~

Are you looking to advertise your website, product or brand?  A good way to get your name out there is via direct advertising here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!  Interested parties can contact us at frontstretcheditors@googlegroups.com for details.

~~~~~~~~~~~

TODAY ON THE FRONTSTRETCH:

From Runner-Up To Running Ragged: What's Wrong With Carl Edwards?
by Matt Stallknecht

Five Points to Ponder: Record Speeds, 'That' Last Win And A Rejuvenated Racetrack
by Danny Peters

Couch Potato Tuesday: A Tale Of Two TNTs In 2012 NASCAR Debut
by Phil Allaway

Tech Talk: Darian Grubb Unravels Michigan Mystery Of High Speeds, New Pavement
by Mike Neff

Information Impossible: NASCAR's Twitterlicious Weekend
by Kevin Rutherford

~~~~~~~~~~~

FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:

Q:  This weekend's Quicken Loans 400 at Michigan International Speedway will be run on brand-new pavement, which replaced blacktop that had been used for 17 seasons starting in 1995.  How long did the pavement at Michigan prior to the last repavement last?

Check back Wednesday for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!

Monday's Answer:

Q:
  Joey Logano ended a 104-race winless streak at Pocono on Sunday, while Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s streak jumped up to 143. But among the top 30 in the current Sprint Cup standings, who has the longest current drought?

A:  That driver would be Bobby Labonte, who is currently 26th in points.  Labonte's last Cup Series victory came in the 2003 Ford 400 at Homestead-Miami Speedway, the first Cup race on the current configuration of the 1.5-mile oval.  That was 302 races ago.

Frontstretch Trivia Guarantee:  If we mess up, you get the shirt off our backs!  If we've provided an incorrect answer to the Frontstretch Trivia question, be the first to email the corrected trivia answer to tri...@frontstretch.com and we'll send you a Frontstretch T-Shirt ... FREE!

~~~~~~~~~~
Coming tomorrow in the Frontstretch Newsletter:
-- Top News from Brad Morgan
-- Full Throttle by Mike Neff
-- Links to your favorite Frontstretch articles, and more!

~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow on the Frontstretch:

Did You Notice?... by Tom Bowles
Did You Notice that the high speeds at Michigan may carry far more risks than Pocono? Tom explains the difference, looks at Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s Pocono race from a championship standpoint, has a surprising superstar who's heading into the weekend unsponsored and more with this list of small but important observations from around the NASCAR circuit.

Mirror Driving by the Frontstretch Staff
Your favorite Frontstretch writers are back to discuss a variety of different topics, including the rash of pit road speeding penalties on Sunday, which young gun will be next to score their first career win in the Camping World Truck Series, whether Kurt Busch will be canned (and if so, who should replace him), and much more.

Frontstretch Top Ten by Jeff Meyer
Our Tennessee transplant will have a top ten list that will tickle your funny bone, guaranteed.

Who's Hot / Who's Not in Sprint Cup Presented by StarCoach Race Tours: Pocono-Michigan Edition by Brett Poirier
With one freshly repaved track in the books, Brett looks at what positive trends are developing in NASCAR's two top series and which drivers need a breather heading into Sunday's race at the freshly repaved Michigan International Speedway.

Sprint Cup Power Rankings compiled by Summer Bedgood
Last weekend saw Greg Biffle fall out of the points lead after running 24th in Pocono.  How far did that bad finish make him fall in our Power Rankings?  You'll have to check it out in order to see where the drivers stand going into Michigan.

Beyond The Cockpit: Brandon McReynolds as told to Mike Neff
The Talladega ARCA winner stops by to chat about his season thus far and his future exploits behind the wheel.

Open-Wheel Wednesday by Matt Stallknecht
It's a new weekly article here at Frontstretch covering the Izod IndyCar Series.  And yes, the name is very similar to the themed day on rpm2night back in the 1990s.
Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2012 Frontstretch.com