The Frontstretch Newsletter: New NASCAR Rules, Dale Jr. Engaged

Frontstretch.com

Jun 17, 2015, 9:53:56 AM6/17/15
to The Frontstretch
THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
June 17, 2015
Volume IX, Edition XCIX

~~~~~~~~~~
What to Watch: Wednesday

- Today, an open test will be held at Richmond International Raceway.  The four drivers on hand Tuesday (Trevor Bayne, Brian Scott (in place of Paul Menard), Kyle Larson and David Ragan) will have company for the second day.  Scheduled to turn laps are Jeff Gordon, Carl Edwards, Sam Hornish, Jr., Joey Logano, Jeff Green (for The Motorsports Group) and Clay Rogers (for Beard Motorsports, which has not attempted a race in 2015).

~~~~~~~~~~
Wednesday's TV Schedule can be found in Couch Potato Tuesday here.

Top News
by the Frontstretch Staff

Dale Earnhardt, Jr. Gets Engaged

Thursday morning, Dale Earnhardt, Jr. announced on his Twitter feed he was "looking forward to spending the rest of his life" with longtime girlfriend Amy Reimann. Turns out NASCAR's Most Popular Driver proposed late Wednesday while the pair were on a trip to Europe with friends and family. Read more

NASCAR Announces New, Separate Rules Package for Kentucky

On short notice Tuesday, NASCAR announced a new rules package that will be used at Kentucky during Quaker State 400 weekend.  The rear spoiler will be cut to 3.5 inches in height, the tires will be grippier while both the splitter and radiator pan have been reduced in size.  Read more

Viva Motorsports Shuts Down Operations

Earlier this week, Viva Motorsports announced that they will cease operations, effective immediately.  The XFINITY Series team, which fielded the No. 55 Chevrolet this year for team owner Jamie Dick, Jeffrey Earnhardt and Brandon Gdovic, has already sold their equipment to an unknown buyer.  That unknown entity is expected to bring the No. 55 team back at some point in the future.  Read more

David Spade to Give Command for Coke Zero 400 at Daytona

Daytona International Speedway announced Tuesday that David Spade, former Saturday Night Live regular and star of the upcoming Crackle film Joe Dirt 2: Beautiful Loser, will serve as the Grand Marshal at the Coke Zero 400.  Read more

Have news for The Frontstretch? Don't hesitate to let us know; email us at phil.a...@frontstretch.com with a promising lead or tip.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Featured Commentary
Simple as Child's Play
Professor of Speed
by Mark Howell

For those of you who are regular readers of my essays in the Frontstretch Newsletter, you likely noticed my absence last week. I enlisted the help of a colleague (thanks again, Clayton!) to cover my spot while I made a quick trip to North Carolina. While I’d love to say that I was in Mooresville consulting with Team Penske or JR Motorsports, I was actually there visiting my two teenaged daughters. Both have jobs that will keep them from making their annual trek to Northern Michigan this summer, so it seemed simpler to take our parental show on the road and head south.

One advantage to having family in the Mooresville/Charlotte region is that such visits enable me to mix business with pleasure. While spending time with my children, I am able to check the pulse of NASCAR Nation right from its own backyard. My wife and son had recently ended their school years, so we found an ideal time for family travel.

My son just finished second grade, a year when he and his friends were obsessed with the Lego-based video game called Minecraft. This game is a creative one that requires players to exist within a natural setting. Players have to build shelter, find food, protect themselves from predators, and pretty much manage all facets of their daily lives. Minecraft is also what’s called a “sandbox” game, meaning that it is all about the playing; there are no points to earn or levels to achieve. It also teaches some pretty interesting lessons about the difficulties of life.

This analogy is where NASCAR enters the picture.

Soon after returning home from North Carolina, my son walked around the house with a “pickaxe” made from Tinker Toys. When I asked him what he was doing, he said that he was a miner, like a character from Minecraft, who had to dig for things.

My maternal grandfather spent most of his life working in the anthracite coal mines of Northeastern Pennsylvania, so I assumed my son was mining for coal to generate heat his character needed to survive cold nights.

It turned out my son was mining for diamonds that could be used to create swords and protective armor (don’t ask). As he saw it, mining was as simple as jabbing your axe into the ground. After a few swings, you would hit diamonds and your problems would be solved.

Tell that to your late great-grandfather, I thought….

Video games like Minecraft, while encouraging some level of problem solving, also tend to oversimplify life. Mining is as easy as swinging a pickaxe, just like building a house is as simple as stacking some blocks. The ends overshadow the means because advances in technology have allowed this phenomenon to happen.

My son’s “mining for diamonds” reminded me of an interview I heard back in May with Greg Biffle. The Roush Fenway Racing driver was talking about the new rules package and how it changed the basic nature of Sprint Cup race cars. A reduction in overall horsepower, coupled with changes in aerodynamics, weight, and new tires from Goodyear produced the current cars NASCAR Nation loves to hate.

Biffle – an experienced veteran in the Sprint Cup Series – said that the new cars were almost impossible to spin, which reduced the number of accidents and affected all sorts of race day dynamics, including pit strategy and the infamous inability to pass other cars because of “dirty” air.

The current Cup cars have an excessive amount of sheet metal behind the rear wheels, he explained, and that extra metal changes aerodynamics to the point where cars are pretty much glued to the track surface. This seriously affects the air flowing over the cars and creates many of the issues we grumble about each week.

Advances in car design reduced the difficulty of going fast while also reducing the legitimate chances of passing your competition.

The evolution of stock car design is easily charted by a walk through the NASCAR Hall of Fame. On the day of our most recent visit, there were multiple school groups there on end-of-year field trips. One of the first exhibits you see is the “Glory Road” display of famous stock cars from the 1940s through the present era.

Even a novice NASCAR fan can readily see the changes in sheet metal and body design as they walk the “road,” moving from yesterday to today. Fenders give way to splitters, spoilers, sideskirts, and shark fins running from door to bumper.

Maybe this trend explains why so many young drivers begin their NASCAR careers with high hopes, decent finishes, and rapid climbs to the big time.

Design advances involved more than just the shaping of sheet metal. Consider the benefits of improved tire construction, more reliable engines, and the added safety measures following Dale Earnhardt’s death in 2001. From seats to belts to helmets, NASCAR is far from the sport it once was.

I remember when Geoff Bodine ran Cup races using power steering and full-face helmets. I remember when his brother Brett used something called a HANS Device that made him move about like Darth Vader. Think about how those developments changed NASCAR for the better, and how suddenly driving a stock car became just a little bit easier (and safer) to do.

It’s like mining for diamonds in Minecraft versus mining for coal in Swoyersville, Pennsylvania. They are similar activities, but yet totally different in range and scope.

Now, we face more differences as NASCAR tweaks its Cup design yet again at midseason. Reducing downforce by half a ton will put drivers back into the competitive equation which should, in theory, improve the ability to pass other cars. More passing will mean better racing. Better racing will mean happier fans. Happier fans will mean a more popular response to NASCAR as a mainstream sport. We (and Brian France) can only hope.

It’s as simple as mining for diamonds with a Tinker Toy pickaxe….

Dr. Mark Howell is a contributor for Frontstretch. He can be reached via e-mail at mark....@frontstretch.com.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TODAY AT FRONTSTRETCH:
by Tom Bowles

by Greg Davis

by Amy Henderson

by Matt McLaughlin

compiled by Michael Mehedin

by Joseph Wolkin
~~~~~~~~~~
FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:

Q: In the 1994 Molson Indy Toronto, Mauricio Gugelmin was having a great race in his Hollywood Cigarettes-sponsored No. 88, maintaining a spot in the top 5.  However, an over-aggressive move led to the end of his day.  What happened?

Check back Thursday for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!

Tuesday's Answer:

Q:  In the early 1980s, Brett Hearn was considered to be an up-and-coming talent that could have had a long career in NASCAR; his success was born out of the Dirt Modifieds in the Northeast.  Ultimately, he started 20 races in what is now the XFINITY Series with a best finish of tenth at Dover in 1985.  He hasn't raced in NASCAR since 1989, but has since settled into an incredibly productive career on dirt.  How many feature wins has the New Jersey native racked up in his career?

A:  As of Saturday night, the 56-year-old Hearn has 869 career feature victories on 48 tracks in a career that dates back to the late 1970s. Over 400 of those wins are between two tracks, Orange County Fair Speedway (Middletown) and Albany-Saratoga Speedway (Malta), both in New York.
COMING TOMORROW
In The Frontstretch Newsletter:
We'll have any news that breaks in the world of NASCAR. In addition, John Potts returns with another interesting commentary.

On Frontstretch.com:
Toni Montgomery is back with another look at the NHRA in Nitro Shots. Plus, our Beth Lunkenheimer has an inside look at MAKE Motorsports' Truck Series effort in Truckin' Thursdays.
Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2015 Frontstretch.com