The Frontstretch Newsletter: Kurt Busch Receives a Restraining Order

Frontstretch.com

Feb 17, 2015, 9:20:29 AM2/17/15
to The Frontstretch
THE FRONTSTRETCH NEWSLETTER
Presented by Frontstretch.com
The Best Seat at the Track, The Best View on the Net!
Feb. 17, 2015
Volume IX, Edition XII

~~~~~~~~~~
What to Watch: Tuesday

- As of this writing, the XFINITY and Camping World Truck Series teams are making the trip down to Daytona Beach for their season openers.  As for the Cup teams, the teams forced to return home to prep backup cars (Team Xtreme Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing, etc.) are in the same boat.  On-track activity resumes tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday's TV Schedule can be found in Couch Potato Tuesday here.

Top News
by the Frontstretch Staff

Court to Kurt Busch: Stay Away from Patricia Driscoll

On Monday, a restraining order was given to Kurt Busch by a Kent County judge as a result of the ongoing assault investigation into Busch.  Busch must not attempt to contact ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll and must stay at least 100 feet away from her or her residence.  Read more

Dylan Lupton Scores Partial XFINITY Series Ride

On Monday, Athenian Motorsports announced that former K&N Pro Series West racer Dylan Lupton will drive the team's No. 25 Chevrolet in the XFINITY Series for seven races starting at Phoenix in March.  Lupton will split the ride with Camping World Truck Series regular John Wes Townley.  Read more

Chad Boat to Make Truck Debut with Father’s Team

Billy Boat Motorsports announced on Monday that team owner Billy Boat's son, Chad, will drive a second entry for the team in the Camping World Truck Series on a part-time basis in 2015.  Chad Boat will attempt to make his series debut at Charlotte in May.  Read more

James Jakes Joins Schmidt Peterson Motorsports for 2015 Indycar Campaign

On Monday, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports announced James Jakes as the new full-time driver of the No. 7 in the Verizon IndyCar Series, replacing Mikhail Aleshin, who is planning on competing in the World Endurance Championship this year.  Sponsorship was not announced.  Read more

XFINITY Series Alert Today Florida 300 Entry List Released

On Monday, NASCAR officially released the entry list for the season-opening Alert today Florida 300.  47 cars will battle for 40 starting spots.  Read more

Camping World Truck Series NextEra Energy Resources 250 Entry List Released

On Monday, NASCAR also officially released the entry list for the season-opening NextEra Energy Resources 250.  34 trucks are entered in the race, but the starting field has been cut to 32 for this season, meaning that two trucks will go home.  Read more

Have news for The Frontstretch?  Don't hesitate to let us know; email us at phil.a...@frontstretch.com with a promising lead or tip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Featured Commentary
Knockout Qualifying... Literally
Sitting in the Stands: A Fan's View

by S.D. Grady

Last year, NASCAR introduced a version of qualifying and called it a “knockout” format. Sunday afternoon in Daytona, it appeared that the drivers took the name literally. Clint Bowyer’s No. 15 ended up a crumpled mess when he was cut off by the No. 44 driven by Reed Sorenson in some kind of blocking maneuver meant to achieve…I’m not sure. The wreck was beneficial to nobody, except the people who sell parts for new cars.

After the ill-timed red flag (caused by a Big One an entire week before the actual Daytona 500 is scheduled to run,) that segment was essentially cut short as teams were denied a chance to lay down a new time. Then, the next group of wanna-be polesitters lined up on pit road—or should we call it more of a gaggle? The cars inched, edged, and nudged one another out of the way as they sought temporary teammates in an effort to enter the track with a friend. Fans at home and in the stands started to nod off as nothing else happened.

It’s not new. We sat through numerous similar performances last year as the teams sorted out how they are exactly supposed to approach beating somebody else to the red and black flags without being the first one on the track. Everybody hurries up and waits, and waits, and waits. Suddenly, the end of pit road looks more like a gathering from a “Cars” movie poster rather than an organized approach to setting the field for the most popular form of auto racing in America.

In short, knockout qualifying is a compact means to broadcasting a NASCAR event, but without a meaningful conclusion. The network figures if they fill up the airwaves with enough traffic from the scanners it will help the lack of physical motion. After an eternity of babble, everybody piles onto the track and two minutes later it is all over, leaving some angry drivers, one happy pole sitter and a breathless collection of commentators while the booth tries to sort out what happened. Meanwhile, I went to get something to eat.

And Clint Bowyer? In this instance, he made a beeline to the media corral to let everybody at the track, on-air, and the nice uniformed officials in the Big Truck understand just how stupid this format is — especially at the plate tracks. Do we really need to offer up yet another opportunity for the drivers to make origami out of their vehicles during weeks when we know the repair bills will shoot into the millions? No. No, we don’t.

Yes, it’s great to be able to set up your car for racing instead of a single fast lap. It’s nice to experience how your machine will perform in traffic. It’s even meaningful to have the savviest drivers and crew chiefs put their heads together and come up with a strategy that leaves the second and third-tier teams, well, where we expect them to be; it keeps the waters unmuddied.

But if the France franchise thought this knockout format was the next best thing in NASCAR entertainment, they were mistaken. An entire year of watching teams walk away from qualifying while scratching their heads is a clear indication not many people “get” what was supposed to happen. Are we at a professional racing competition or some odd version of Robot Wars?

It’s a mess. It’s not an incentive to hit the track a day or a week early. It’s barely a reason to have the DVR record the three-ring disaster. And to think we have two mini-races on Thursday so we can attempt to crumple even more metal—it’s mind-boggling.

How about we ask the drivers and teams how they want to get it done? What would make the most sense to the men behind the wheel? I can guarantee it wouldn’t resemble anything close to what the think-tank came up with. That can only be a good thing.

Sonya's Scrapbook

1996 Daytona 500

Jeff Gordon started his career at Daytona in style, finishing fifth, fifth, fourth, eighth, 22nd, and first in his first six appearances at the superspeedway. But his seventh event, the 1996 Great American Race may be a better reflection of everything restrictor plate. On lap 8, Jeremy Mayfield in the No. 98 tapped the rainbow-emblazoned No. 24. After slamming the wall, Gordon limped behind it. He managed a few more laps after repairs, but finally accepted a DNF, submitting "handling" as his reason for going home for the day.

How quickly your race can be demolished through none of your own devices. The more things change -- even in NASCAR -- the more they stay the same.

S.D. Grady is a Senior Editor for Frontstretch and runs a NASCAR blog called the S-Curves. She can be reached via email at sonya...@frontstretch.com. Follow her on Twitter at @laregna and on her Facebook page (she's an author, too!) at https://www.facebook.com/Author.SDGrady.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Numbers Game: Sprint Unlimited/Daytona Qualifying
by Tom Bowles

0
Fords that made the final round of Daytona 500 qualifying. No Ford has sat on the front row for the Daytona 500 since Carl Edwards won the pole in 2012.

1
Laps run by Jeff Gordon in five minutes of final round qualifying to earn his Daytona 500 pole.

1
Laps led by Martin Truex, Jr. throughout the entire 2014 season.

2
Sprint Cup “Wins” by Matt Kenseth since the start of the 2014 season, both of which were in non-points events. He took Saturday night’s Sprint Unlimited and was also victorious in a 2014 Budweiser Duel.

3
Straight top-6 finishes for Joey Logano in the Sprint Unlimited. He has finished no lower than sixth in the race since moving over to Roger Penske’s operation.

4th
The second straight such finish by Casey Mears in a Cup race at Daytona. Mears, who ran fourth Saturday night in the Sprint Unlimited was also fourth in last July’s Coke Zero 400.

4
Drivers that chose not to participate in Saturday night’s Sprint Unlimited due to sponsorship or other reasons. They were AJ Allmendinger, David Gilliland, Brian Scott and Brian Vickers.

8
Cars in the top 12 of Daytona 500 qualifying that were either from the Hendrick Motorsports or Joe Gibbs Racing stables, respectively.

13
Cars that failed to finish Saturday night’s Sprint Unlimited… all due to crashes. That number was a slight increase over the 10 DNFs we saw in the 2014 event.

28
Laps led by Martin Truex, Jr. during Saturday night’s Sprint Unlimited.

$198,475
Money won by Matt Kenseth Saturday night.

$38,450
Money won by fourth-place Casey Mears.

TODAY AT FRONTSTRETCH

by Tom Bowles

by Matt McLaughlin

by Jeff Wolfe

by Danny Peters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FRONTSTRETCH TRIVIA:

Q: This one is easy. Jeff Gordon is attempting to win the Daytona 500 from the pole. When was the last time that happened and has Gordon himself ever done it?

Check back Wednesday for the answer, here in the Frontstretch Newsletter!

Monday's Answer:

Q:  In 2007, James Hylton attempted to become the oldest driver to ever qualify for a Cup race when he attempted the Daytona 500 in a No. 58 Chevrolet with sponsorship from Retirement Living TV.  Where did that No. 58 come from?

A:  Hylton's car was a 2005-spec Chevrolet Monte Carlo that had previously been a No. 31 Cingular Wireless Chevrolet for Jeff Burton.  The car was purchased from Richard Childress Racing.  While the chassis was good, the engine was not.
COMING TOMORROW
In The Frontstretch Newsletter:
We'll have more news from NASCAR Nation in Daytona while Mark Howell returns with his Professor of Speed commentary.

On Frontstretch.com:
Amy Henderson returns with her award-winning Frontstretch 5 column, where she'll take a look at Speedweeks so far and Alex Bowman stops by in our weekly edition of Beyond The Cockpit.
Talk back to the Frontstretch Newsletter!
Got something to say about an article you've seen in the newsletter? It's as easy as replying directly to this message or sending an email to edi...@frontstretch.com. We'll take the best comments and publish them here!
©2015 Frontstretch.com