The Book of THoTH Newsletter Issue 162

ReverendChaos

Oct 8, 2009, 2:00:45 AM10/8/09
to The Book Of THoTH
Newsletter for the week of September 28th to October 4th

Hello to everyone! To all of our new subscribers out there, welcome
to the book of THoTH Newsletter and to our Book of THoTH Google
group. Thanks for taking the time to subscribe and thanks for joining
our group. We're glad that you've joined our mailing list and hope
that you enjoy what we have to offer in its pages.

As of this newsletter, we've have had 30 new members to join us at BoT
since last week. To those who've joined, we say thanks for taking the
time to be a part of the greatest paranormal site on the web! Due to
this new addition of members, we now stand at 8,360members strong. A
huge thanks to each and everyone of you for helping to make this site
what it has become! We couldn't do it without you.

This Week at BoT:
Thanks to everyone who attended the BoT Quiz last Saturday! It was a
great success with many in attendance and fun was had by all. A huge
"thank you" goes out to THoTH and Angel for hosting the quiz and for
staying up late with all of us.

As mentioned in earlier newsletters, the points won will be added to
points from future quizzes. These will go toward a grand prize,
runners up, and a booby prize. So if you want to get in on the action
and possibly win a fantastic prize, be sure to keep your eyes open in
our Main News section for when our next quiz will be.

The GoldStar has been passed along agin this week. Sid, our last
holder of the GoldStar, has decided to pass the most prestigious award
to Nightlighter. Sid has deemed Nightlighter worthy of this shining
award due to the fact that he's "true to his name" and "shines light
and love in dark corners and creates healing whether he's aware of it
or not!" Congratulations, Nightlighter! You're a great contributor
to BoT, so wear it proudly and keep it spinning and shining brightly.

We've had three BoT LabCoat winners since our last newsletter.
WhiteTiger posted a question for the LabCoat Quiz last week and
Homer16 was the one with the correct answer. Tiger's question was:
"Under what circumstances do the numbers 90 and 130 refer to exactly
the same thing and produce exactly the same outcome?

For bonus points, why are they identical under those circumstances?"

Homer answered with "a microwave. The heat to time ratio".
Congratulations, Homer16! He then had the privilege of posting the
next question. That question was:
"What will eventually happen to Saturn's rings?"

Katsmeow came in quickly with the answer of "the orbit of the debris
with deteriorate and will be absorbed into the planet". As a result,
she won the BoT LabCoat. Well done, katsmeow!

Katsmeow then posted the question of:
"What was the greatest hindrance to developing the hard drive? It is a
basic physics question, I believe. Prolly not unknown to our techie
friends."

Once again, Homer was quick with an answer. Congratulations again!
His answer was, "Centrifugal force" and has again won the BoT
LabCoat. He hasn't posted a new question yet, but if you want a shot
at winning it, keep your eyes open for Homer's next question in the
"BoT LabCoat Quiz Part IX" in the Science section of our forums.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopic-21115-150.html

This Week in the Forums:
In the UFO section, Phoenix has posted a thread about a Connecticut
man who photographed 3 saucer shaped UFOs with his IPhone. To see the
pictures and to join in on the discussion, as well as talking a look
at other photos of UFOs in the same type of formation, see "Man Uses
IPhone to Photograph 3 UFO Saucers".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21779.html

"Another missing link?" is a thread by Lonecat that tells us about the
recent news of Ardi, the remains of a human like creature found in
Ethiopia in 1992. What impact will this have on what we believe about
evolution? To read more about this interesting find, be sure to see
Lonecat's thread in the Science/Ask the Scientist section.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21787.html

If aliens land, and they are friendly, should we welcome them? That's
the subject of HeroGuy's thread, "We should welcome the aliens". What
are your thoughts on the subject? To join in with your two cents, be
sure to catch HeroGuy's thread in the Aliens/Extraterrestrial section.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21763.html

"Zetetic Scholar Magazine available online" is Tiger's thread that
informs us of the availability of the first few issues of Marcello
Truzzi's magazine. Covering a variety of subjects, these PDF files
are excellent reading for anyone with an interest in the paranormal.
To find out more about these magazines, don't miss Tiger's thread in
the Phenomena section.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-13644.html

In the Alternative History & Civilizations section, teri107 has posted
a topic about the mysterious creature that is featured on pictures of
ancient Egyptian scepters. Is it a Pteranodon? If not, what is it
supposed to depict? To take a look at the information that teri107
brings to us and to give your views on the matter, be sure to see
"Pteranodon on a Stick: Ancient Egyptian Scepter".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21815.html

Random Site Feature of the Week:
If you love Crosswords, then we just might have a few paranormal
themed ones written by our very own members that you'd like. Take a
look at the ones we have and see if you can get into our Crossword
Hall of Fame.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/crossword-list.html

Strange Fact of the Week:
In 1985, a huge pyramid was located just off of the coast of the
island of Yonaguni-jima, Japan. Believed by some to be completely mad
made and by others to be a natural formation that was hewn by man, the
structure is dated to be 5,000 years older than the Egyptian
pyramids. It was first discovered by a dive tour operator by the name
of Kihachiro Aratake.

Trivia Question of the Week:
Why did Union General Ulysses S. Grant not go to Ford's Theater on the
night that U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated?

Answer to Last Weeks Trivia Question:
In the cases where alleged alien implants have been removed from
people's bodies, what are they usually attached to while inside the
bodies?

Largely found in the hands, feet, arms, and legs, most of these
implants have been found to be attached to nerves.

This Week in History:
October 4, 1957: The Soviet Union launched the first artificial
satellite, Sputnik, into orbit around the earth, ushering in the Space
Age and Space Race.

October 4, 1965: Pope Paul VI made the first visit to the Western
Hemisphere by a reigning pope. He came to New York to address the UN
General Assembly.

October 5, 1947: In the first televised White House address,
President Truman urged Americans to refrain from eating meat on
Tuesdays and poultry on Sundays to help starving people in other
countries.

October 5, 1962: The Beatles released their first hit, "Love Me Do,"
in Britain.

October 6, 1927: "The Jazz Singer," the first full-length talking
picture, starring Al Jolson, debuted.

October 6, 1949: Japanese-American broadcaster, Iva Toguri D'Aquino
(Tokyo Rose), was sentenced to 10 years in prison and fined $10,000
for treason.

October 7, 1765: The Stamp Act Congress convened in New York to draw
up colonial grievances against England.

October 7, 1949: The Republic of East Germany was formed.

October 8, 1871: The Great Fire of Chicago started. That same day in
Peshtigo, Wis., the worst forest fire in U.S. history also began.

October 8, 2005: A 7.6 magnitude earthquake centered in the Pakistani-
controlled part of the Kashmir region killed more than 80,000 and
injured 65,000.

October 9, 1635: Religious dissident and Rhode Island founder, Roger
Williams, was banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony.

October 9, 1930: Aviator Laura Ingalls became the first woman to make
a solo transcontinental flight across the United States.

October 10, 1886: The tuxedo dinner jacket made its debut at a ball
in Tuxedo Park, N.Y.

October 10, 1911: Sun Yat-sen's revolutionaries overthrew the Manchu
dynasty in China.

This Week's Birthdays:
Frederic Remington (October 4, 1861) - Frederic Remington was an
American painter, illustrator, sculptor, and writer who specialized in
depictions of the American West. Related to Indian portrait artist
George Catlin and cowboy sculptor Earl W. Bascorn, he studied at the
Art Students League of New York and began his career by submitting
illustrations and other works with western themes for publication. He
was also a war correspondent and illustrator for the Spanish-American
War. Of his works, the painting "Shotgun Hospitality" and "The Bronco
Buster" sculpture are perhaps the most well known.

Louis Lumiere (October 5, 1864) - Along with his brother Auguste, this
team was among the earliest filmmakers. Their first private screening
of a projected motion pictures was held on March 22, 1895. Their
first public screening charging admission was held on December 28,
1895. It is believe that their first film was actually recorded in
that same year with Leon Bouly's cinematography device, which was
patented the previous year.

George Westinghouse (October 6, 1846) - American inventor and
engineer. Friend of Nikola Tesla and a rival of Thomas Edison, he was
best known for Inventing air breaks for trains and his connection with
the development of the alternating current system for light and
power. Westinghouse' system of using alternating current eventually
prevailed over Edison's insistence on direct current. In 1911, he
received the AIEE's Edison Medal "For meritorious achievement in
connection with the development of the alternating current system for
light and power."

Desmond Tutu (October 7,1931) - Desmond Mpilo Tutu is a South African
cleric and activist who rose to fame during the 1980s as an opponent
of apartheid. In 1984, he became the second South African to be
awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. He was also the first black South
African Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town. TuTu chaired the Truth and
Reconciliation Commission and is currently the chairman of The
Elders. Vocal in his defense of human rights, he uses his high
profile to campaign for the oppressed, to fight AIDS, tubercolosis,
homophobia, poverty, and racism. In addition to the Nobel Peace
Prize, he's also received the Albert Schweitzer Prize for
Humanitarianism, the Gandhi Peace Prize, and the Presidential Medal of
Freedom.

Emily Blackwell (October 8, 1826) - Born in Bristol, England; Emily
Blackwell was the second woman to earn a medical degree at what is now
Case Western Reserve University, and the third woman to earn a medical
degree in the United States. In 1857 she, along with her sister
Elizabeth, established the New York Infirmary for Indigent Women and
Children; helped organize the Woman's Central Association of Relief,
which trained nurses for service in the Civil War; and started the
Women's Medical College in New York.

John Lennon (October 9, 1940) - Lennon was a singer and songwriter who
is best known as the founding member of The Beatles. Along with Paul
McCartney, he was part of the band's famous Lennon-McCartney
songwriting team throughout the 60s. After the break up of The
Beatles, he enjoyed a solo career, painted, wrote, and was a peace
activist until he was murdered in 1980.

Henry Cavendish (October 10, 1731) - Henry Canendish was a British
scientist noted for his discovery of hydrogen, or what he called
"inflammable air". He described the density of it in a 1766 paper "On
Factitious Airs". Cavendish was also known for his measurement of the
Earth's density and for early research into electricity.

Tech Tip of the Week:
If you're visiting websites and they don't display properly (with
errors, missing buttons or images, links that don't work, or incorrect
layouts), the cause might not be the website, but the security
settings on your browser. These settings can block parts of a website
that it decides are potentially unsafe. Even though there's really
nothing wrong with the site, your security settings are just being
cautious.

To change your security settings in Internet Explorer, click on the
Tools menu and then click Internet Options. Click on the Security tab
and then click on "Internet". Then try clicking "Default Level",
click Apply, and then OK. Try the Default Level first to see if that
helps. Many times it will if your settings have been tweaked in the
past. If this is no help, click on "Custom Level". There, you'll see
a scroll down list of various settings that you can disable, enable,
or prompt. If you're aware of what these various settings are far,
you can try enabling them from here. If you're a relatively novice
user then you may want to stick to the small drop down menu at the
bottom. Here, you can select from Medium, Medium-Low, or Low. Chose
the one next lowest to the one your currently set on (if your on
Medium, select Medium-Low, for example). Click on Reset and then
click on OK. Click Apply and then OK on your Internet Options box and
then close your browser and reboot your computer.

If you're using Firefox, click on Tools, Options, and then the
Security tab. Unfortunately, Your security options with Firefox
aren't as varied as with Internet Explorer. But you can click on
"Exceptions" near the top of the Options box to make sure that the
site that you are trying to visit isn't being blocked for some
reason. If it is, only unblock it if you know for certain that the
site you are trying to visit is safe.

Before trying to tweak your settings due to parts of a site not being
available, it is always best to wait a while to see if the site you're
having trouble with is simply having problems. Many times all will be
fine with a few minutes or possibly the next day. If not, the problem
could lie with your security settings.

One more word of warning, be very careful when changing your security
settings, as changing to a setting that is too low could jeopardize
your security and let unsafe content though to your computer.

Quote of the Week:
"A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance."
- Anatole France

That concludes this week's edition of the BoT newsletter. We hope
that you've enjoyed it, found it a nice change in your inbox, and are
looking forward to receiving the next one. As always, we should have
lots more waiting in store for you.

Until next time, keep your eyes to the skies and the door to your mind
unlocked. You never know who might drop by for a visit.