The Book of THoTH Newsletter Issue 153

ReverendChaos

Aug 4, 2009, 2:34:37 AM8/4/09
to The Book Of THoTH
Newsletter for the week of July 27th to August 2th

Hello to everyone! To all of our new subscribers out there, welcome
to the book of THoTH Newsletter and to our Book of THoTH Google
group. Thanks for taking the time to subscribe and thanks for joining
our group. We're glad that you've joined our mailing list and hope
that you enjoy what we have to offer in its pages.

As of this newsletter, we've have had 26 new members to join us at BoT
since last week. To those who've joined, we say thanks for taking the
time to be a part of the greatest paranormal site on the web! Due to
this new addition of members, we now stand at 8,141 members strong. A
huge thanks to each and everyone of you for helping to make this site
what it has become! We couldn't do it without you.

This Week at BoT:
Things are coming along nicely since our forum upgrades, but due to a
few bugs here and there, things still might not be %100 for everyone.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, but sometimes
glitches and downtime are part of the game if we want to take a step
forward.

For those who are experiencing trouble or have questions about our new
forums, please keep all questions in Silversurfer's thread, "The New
Forums! And Help For Using Them".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21226.html

This thread is in our new Announcements and Stickies sub forum in the
Support Forums & Help Desk section of the forum page.

Keeping all of your questions and concerns in Silversurfer's thread
will greatly help in getting your questions answered as quickly as
possible. It will help those who have the same question, and It will
also save our staff and members from having to sift though several
threads of problems and questions.

For those who have any other BoT or tech related question, please use
our Support Forums & Help Desk:
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/forum-8.html

In the BoT GoldStar news, congratulations again goes out to THoTH for
receiving the most prestigious GoldStar Award! He's had it a little
longer than he's supposed to, but we'll forgive him because of all the
work he's accomplished in the past two weeks. Both a huge thanks and
an applause of gratitude goes out to him.

In the BoT LabCoat news, no one could answer Silversurfer's question
of, "what craft, and when, produced the first pictures of the moon?
For bonus points, name the originating country as well." As a result,
Minifang was awarded the LabCoat for putting in the effort to answer.

Minifang's question is:
"How much gold has been discovered worldwide to date?"

If you want a shot at answering Minifang's question, take a look at
the "BoT LabCoat Quiz Part IX" thread in our new BoT LabCoat Quiz! sub
forum.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/forum-58.html

This Week in the Forums:
"New UFO video from Mexico" is Kira's thread that gives us the link to
an excellent video shot in Mexico. In it, the UFO appears to be
emitting some sort of objects. What is it? To see for yourself and
to join in on the discussion about it, see Kira's thread in the UFO
section.
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21098.html

Phoenix has a thread going in the Aliens/Extraterrestrial section that
tells of the Russian Navy declassifying documents related to Cold War
UFO sightings. To read about some of the things described in the
documents and to add your comments, see "Russian Navy Declassifies
Cold War Close Encounters".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21282.html

In the Ghost & Spirits section, GnosticLady has an interesting
experience to tell about. It seems that she caught a ghost in the act
of petting her cat. To read more, ask questions, or to relay a
similar experience, see her thread "Something petted my cat".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21294.html

Does Magnetic Therapy Work? That's the name of Unexplained's thread
in the Phenomena section that asks that very question. They've been
used for ailments such as depression, back pain, muscle soreness, and
arthritis. Do they really work? To read more about magnetic therapy
and to let us know your views on it, see "Does Magnetic Therapy Work".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21207.html

Our resident cryptozoologist, jdw, is telling us about his new book in
the Animal Kingdom & Cryptozoology section. If you want to read about
his latest finds, or have a question for him, be sure to see "New
Cryptozoology Book On Living Pterosaurs".
http://www.book-of-thoth.com/ftopict-21348.html

Random Site Feature of the Week:
If you're looking for some funny videos to watch, we've got a page
full of them. From people to pets and lots in between, there's
something for everyone. Check out the FunVideos page and you can
browse through hundreds of side-splitting videos!

http://www.book-of-thoth.com/modules.php?name=Funvideos

Strange Fact of the Week:
A Chicago housewife was reported to have subconsciously made a
grandfather clock top on three different occasions that were
significant events in her life. The first time, the clock stopped at
the exact moment that her mother died. The second time was three
years later when it stopped at the time her first grandchild was
born. The final (as of now) time the clocked stopped was the exact
moment that her daughter and son-in-law exchanged their wedding vows.
Paranormal researchers believe that the woman was "unknowingly marking
emotionally meaningful events".

Trivia Question of the Week:
What controversial 18th century remedy was invented by British
physician Elisha Perkins?

Answer to Last Weeks Trivia Question:
What was it that descended from the trees and caused a frightened
police officer to faint in Guadalupe, Mexico?

Leonardo Samaniego Gallegos was a police officer who supposedly
fainted after an encounter with a witch. Described as wearing a black
dress with black eyes and no eyelids, this "witch" according to
officer Gallegos descended from the trees above and chased his patrol
car. He said that he fainted when the witch landed on the patrol
car's windshield and looked in at him.

This Week in History:
August 2, 1943: PT-109, a torpedo boat commanded by Lt. John F.
Kennedy, was sunk off the Solomon Islands by a Japanese destroyer.

August 2, 1990: The Persian Gulf War broke out when Iraq invaded
Kuwait.

August 3, 1492: Columbus set sail from Palos, Spain.

August 3, 1958: The nuclear-powered submarine Nautilus became the
first vessel to cross the North Pole underwater.

August 4, 1735: Printer John Peter Zenger, defended by Andrew
Hamilton, was acquitted of libel in a case that helped foster freedom
of the press.

August 4, 1892: Lizzie Borden's father and stepmother were killed
with an axe in Fall River, Mass.

August 5, 1861: For the first time, the U.S. government levied an
income tax.

August 5, 1969: The U.S. space probe Mariner 7 transmitted pictures
of Mars.

August 6, 1806: The Holy Roman Empire ended with the abdication of
Emperor Francis II.

August 6, 1962: Jamaica gained its independence within the Britain
Commonwealth.

August 7, 1947: The wooden raft Kon-Tiki, which carried Thor
Heyerdahl and five companions more than 4,000 miles, crashed into a
reef in the Pacific.

August 7, 1959: The United States launched Explorer 6, which sent
back a picture of Earth.

August 8, 1588: English forces attacked the Spanish Armada,
permanently crippling Spain's "invincible" fleet.

August 8, 1876: Thomas Edison patented the mimeograph machine.

This Week's Birthdays:
Elisha Gray (August 2, 1835) - Gray was an electrical engineer and is
best known for his patenting of many electrical devices having to do
with the telegraph. He developed a telephone protoype in 1876 but was
beaten to the patent by Alexander Graham Bell who registered his just
a few hours earlier.

Elisha Otis (August 3, 1811) - Otis invented a safety device in 1852
that prevented the fall of hoisting machinery. It was from this that
he developed the first passenger elevator in 1857.

Robert Hayden (August 4, 1913) - Robert Hayden was an American poet,
essayist, and educator. He was appointed as Poet Laureate Consultant
in Poetry to the Library of Congress in 1976.

Neil Armstrong (August 5, 1930) - A former American astronaut, test
pilot, university professor, and naval aviator, Neil Armstrong is the
first person to have set foot on the Moon. Before becoming an
astronaut, he was an aviator for the U.S. Navy and saw action in the
Korean War. He served as a test pilot at what is now the Dryden
Flight Research Center and as a research pilot, he served as project
pilot on almost a dozen aircraft.

Alexander Fleming (August 6, 1881) - Alexander Fleming was a Scottish
biologist and pharmacologist. He published many articles on
bacteriology, immunology, and chemotherapy. He is most known for the
discovery of the enzyme lysozyme in 1922 and for isolating the
antibiotic substance penicillin from a fungus in 1945. It was for
this latest discovery that he shared a Nobel Prize with Florey and
Chain.

James Randi (August 7, 1928) - Randi is a former stage magician and
current skeptic who is best known as a challenger of paranormal
claims. He is the founder of the James Randi Educational Foundation
which claims to offer one million dollars to anyone who can prove
paranormal abilities. He is also one of the founding members of
CSICOP (the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of
the Paranormal), an organization that he resigned from after his words
and actions resulted in lawsuits against the organization.

Emiliano Zapata (August 8, 1879) - Emiliano Zapata Salazar was a
leading figure in the Mexican Revolution, which broke out in 1910, and
which was initially directed against the president Porfirio Diaz.
Zapata formed and commanded an important revolutionary force, the
Liberation Army of the South, during the Mexican Revolution. Today,
he remains one of the most revered national heroes of Mexico.

This week, we only have one BoT birthday to celebrate and that's
Halfrida's. Her birthday is on August 8th. Happy Birthday Halfrida!
Here's to a fantastic day of celebration and a wonderful year ahead!

Tech Tip of the Week:
Have you ever been playing a game on the computer where you're hitting
several keysrepeated, and all of a sudden you have a box to pop up and
ask you about enabling Sticky Keys? Or maybe Filter Keys? These
boxes will pop up after hitting the Shift key five times fast, or
holding it down for several seconds, and can be annoying to those who
don't use Sticky or Filter Keys. This week, we'll tell you how to
disable this notification.

First, go to the Control Panel in Classic view. Open up "Ease of
Access Center" and then click on "Make the keyboard easier to use".
This will take you to the "Set Up Sticky Keys" box. Once there, make
sure that the boxes for "Turn on Sticky Keys" or "Turn on Filter Keys"
are not checked. This means the feature isn't active at the moment,
but it doesn't mean the popup 'Sticky Key' box will go away. To do
that, you will have to click on either "Set up Filter Keys" or "Set up
Sticky Keys" (or both).

On either the "Set up Filter Keys" or the "Set up Sticky Keys" box,
remove the check from "Turn on Filter (or Sticky) Keys when right
SHIFT is pressed...". Click Apply and Then OK.

This tip applies mostly to Windows Vista or Windows 7 users. If you
have Windows XP, you can find a similar method of disabling this popup
under "Accessibility" in your Control Panel.

Unsolved Question of the Week:
This week's unsolved question of the week deals with the intriguing
subject of UFOs. What are they?

The term UFO started out as a military term which stood for
unidentified flying object. It's that unidentified part that leaves
us with all of the questions. Are they some type of unknown weather
or astrological phenomena? Are they secret military craft? Visitors
from another galaxy? Or perhaps time travelers that will later
resided here on earth? Or are they something that we've yet to even
consider?

Contrary to popular belief, UFOs have been reported throughout
recorded history, not just since the "craze" after the Roswell
incident. There are numerous stories and legends that report strange
things in the sky. Some skeptics write these off as ancient
descriptions of natural phenomenon, and some perhaps are. But even
the ancients had astronomers who were familiar with the skies, many of
which were far more educated in regards to the skies as the average
person is today. However, most modern ufologists prefer to
concentrate their studies on more modern reports due to the fact that
it is impossible to determine the accuracy and check the facts of such
long past incidents.

Then there are more recent historic sightings. There are several that
took place in the 1800s for example. Some by astronomers and some by
ordinary people. One of the most famous reports was in the 1890s
where people all over North America reported seeing some type of
strange aircraft with bright searchlights flying above farms and
towns. Some of these people even reported meeting the pilots. Were
these hoaxes designed to sell newspapers? Or honest sightings?

In more modern history we have even more reliable accounts. Many
World War II pilots say that they saw strange balls of light
intelligently flying beside their planes (the famous Foo Fighters).
It was believed at first by the Allied command that these were secret
German surveillance craft or weapons. That theory only lasted until
after the war when it was learned that several German pilots also
reported these strange objects. They of course thought it was
American or British secret craft.

Later in the 1940s the UFO phenomena really took a turn after the
sighting by pilot Kenneth Arnold who reported seeing nine crescent-
shaped objects flying along the Cascade Mountains in the U.S. state of
Washington. Although he only saw them for three and a half minutes,
he knew that they were not normal airplanes. He later described the
movement of the objects as "like a saucer would if you skipped it
across the water". From this, intrigued press reporters coined the
term "flying saucer". Then we have Roswell. Was it a saucer? Was it
a weather balloon? Was it an even more advanced weather balloon? How
about a secret craft designed to detect Soviet activity? The stories
by the military at the time of the incident changed quite often.

In more modern times, the UFO sightings get even more interesting.
This is largely due to the large number of professional airline
pilots, military pilots, and even astronauts who have reported seeing
unidentified craft in the skies above us. Many researchers have no
doubt that they are indeed witnessing something out of the ordinary.
After all, these are people who are trained to observe and document
anything unusual. One of the most famous recent incidents involved
large numbers of witnesses (both passengers, employees, and pilots)
who spotted an unknown object hovering and then shooting off to pierce
a hole through a cloud above Chicago's O'Hare Airport. Skeptics say
that this was a weather phenomenon. If it is, it would still be
classed as a UFO sighting because a weather phenomenon like that is
simple unheard of and has yet to be explainable.

What are these UFOs though? Many do make honest mistakes and are
seeing planes and planets. But what about the UFOs that travel at
extraordinary speeds, making turns and movements that by current
understanding are impossible for modern aircraft? Sure we can break
the sound barrier. But how about breaking the sound barrier while
making a 90 or 180 degree turn?

From all of the documented cases, there really is no doubt that UFOs
are out there. The fact that some appear to have intelligent movement
is even more exciting. Everyone from professionals to laymen have
reported seeing them. And of course everything from Venus to secret
military craft get the blame. But until one of these balls of light
or saucer shaped objects lands, or until our governments come clean
with what they may know, the true identity of these unidentified
flying objects will remain one of those unanswered questions.

Quote of the Week:
"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction."
- General Douglas MacArthur

That concludes this week's edition of the BoT newsletter. We hope
that you've enjoyed it, found it a nice change in your inbox, and are
looking forward to receiving the next one. As always, we should have
lots more waiting in store for you.

Until next time, keep your eyes to the skies and the door to your mind
unlocked. You never know who might drop by for a visit.