Fwd: [Perldl] Proposal: MAT-File reading module

David Mertens

Dec 18, 2012, 12:26:17 AM12/18/12
to the-quanti...@googlegroups.com, John Lapeyre
Ben -

In case you didn't get this, see the forwarded message below. I do not use Matlab files myself, but apparently John Lapeyre does, and has even written a module to parse MAT files into PDL data. You should probably rib him into pushing his module onto CPAN, and then both of you can include the other in your "SEE ALSO" sections.

Actually, the best approach might be for both of you to combine your parsing code into one underlying MAT parser. John could then include anything PDL-specific in PDL::IO::Matlab, and Ben could include anything Perl-array specific into Data::MATFile. Or something like that.

David

Dec 18, 2012, 1:10:37 AM12/18/12
to the-quanti...@googlegroups.com
The motivation behind Data::MATFile is that ".mat" files are used a
lot in something called "machine learning". Basically the point is to
get the data directly out of those files.

The PDL::IO::Matlab is based on a C library called Matio. I think it's
just a C program. The Data::MATFile is a Perl library for reading
MATLAB files without C parts, just in Perl using "unpack".