Devel::IPerl v0.006 release: support for Chart::Clicker; an update on IPerl development

Zakariyya Mughal

Aug 3, 2015, 2:48:08 AM8/3/15
to The Quantified Onion
Salutations,

Devel::IPerl v0.006 is out on your nearest CPAN mirror!

This release comes with a plugin created by (Zhenyi Zhou)++ that adds
support for displaying Chart::Clicker objects automatically. An example
of the output can be seen at <https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/94489/9028043/061b6e7e-3931-11e5-86df-a9936833a335.png>
using code provided by Zhenyi Zhou[^chart-clicker]:

```perl

IPerl->load_plugin( "ChartClicker" );
my $cc = Chart::Clicker->new;

my @values = (42, 25, 86, 23, 2, 19, 103, 12, 54, 9);
$cc->add_data('Sales', \@values);

$cc;
```

----

Since I had not sent out any release announcements since last
February, the last few releases saw the following features:

- Better compatibility with IPython language kernel spec which means
it is possible to use Jupyter Notebook and switch between IPerl and
other language kernels such as IPython, ITorch, or IJulia. Thanks to
(Björn Grüning)++ for pointing out this feature[^kernel-spec].

- Update of the messaging protocol for Jupyter to version 5.0. This
allows for sending more useful messages such as code completion. IPerl
now uses the Reply REPL's code completion capability.

- Thanks to (Demian Riccardi)++ and the (Matthias Bussonnier)++ (from
the Jupyter team), we were able to find a long-standing bug in the
Jupyter Notebook code[^jupyter-nb-syntax-bug].

This didn't require changes to the IPerl code, but it was great to
see an improvement that affects the larger scientific computing
ecosystem.

If you have any questions or ideas, please let me know either on-list,
off-list, or on the GitHub bug-tracker. More changes are planned in the
following months[^milestones].

Finally, if you haven't seen it yet, the Perl Onion is featured on the
Jupyter website: <http://jupyter.org/>!

Hope you have wonderful week!

Cheers,
- Zaki Mughal

[^chart-clicker]: <https://github.com/EntropyOrg/p5-Devel-IPerl/pull/50>

[^kernel-spec]: <https://github.com/EntropyOrg/p5-Devel-IPerl/issues/37>

[^jupyter-nb-syntax-bug]: <https://github.com/EntropyOrg/p5-Devel-IPerl/issues/40>

[^milestones]: <https://github.com/EntropyOrg/p5-Devel-IPerl/milestones>

Joel Berger

Aug 3, 2015, 8:42:44 AM8/3/15
to Zakariyya Mughal, The Quantified Onion

Excellent work!

--

---