Inline::Fortran?

Demian Riccardi

Jan 28, 2013, 9:39:32 AM1/28/13
to the-quanti...@googlegroups.com
Hey all you folks,

Do you have any opinions about the inline product line for interfacing with scientific libs?  I search with a full heart of hope for Inline::Fortran every 5 months or so.  Is it a worthy cause for someone with an undying love of fortran?  edit: love of fortran 95.  I don't love fortran 77!  I have a dream of running a simple perl script that feeds a simple inline fortran subroutine the pieces needed to generate a huge matrix that can then be sent of to MKL Lib with OpenMP parallelization on a juicy node (containing 48 internal cores with tons of memory) or two.. probably not two... maybe two!

Demian

David Mertens

Jan 28, 2013, 10:29:26 AM1/28/13
to the-quanti...@googlegroups.com
Demian -

When it comes to managing large matrices, you should at least be aware of PDL: pdl.perl.org. If nothing else, this will be a useful data container for dealing with matrices. There is some prior art connecting PDL data types with Fortran routines, including proper row-wise vs column-wise packing issues. For example, there are Slatec bindings for PDL. In fact, arguably one of the most useful things you might be able to do in this context is help write some PDL bindings for the MKL.

However, to your idea. I am not a Fortran programmer, but I have no beef against it. What little Fortran I have seen was very elegantly written. As I see it, any Fortran bindings---and an Inline implementation that would enable Fortran code and/or bindings---would have two basic steps. First, you would need to compile the Fortran source code to an object file. Then you would need to write XS code that would link to that object file and provide means for calling those functions.

I see how this could work and I would be happy to help, but I'm busy with other projects at the moment. Do you have time and knowledge to put into this sort of project?

David

Demian

--

---

David Mertens

Feb 2, 2013, 11:55:33 PM2/2/13
to the-quanti...@googlegroups.com
Demian -

Just this week there was talk on inl...@perl.org about an Inline::Fortran module. The author just pushed it to github: https://github.com/kenneth-k/Inline-Fortran

I'm sure he would love any feedback from users. If you run into technical trouble using it, let me know. I haven't looked into it myself (again, I don't use Fortran), but I would be happy to assist getting this going!

David

Demian Riccardi

Feb 3, 2013, 7:20:50 AM2/3/13
to the-quanti...@googlegroups.com