OER reuse, revise, and remix processes for developing custom built OER derived digital textbooks

Deepak Prasad

Nov 5, 2013, 5:19:09 AM11/5/13
to the-open-textb...@googlegroups.com
I am a doctoral student and the aim of my research is to explore OER reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute processes for developing and disseminating OER derived digital textbooks through developing and disseminating a assistive technology compatible custom built OER derived digital textbook to replace two commercial prescribed textbooks in a postgraduate generic research methods course and then to evaluate the impacts and adoption factors of OER derived digital textbook use on students and teachers at the University of the South Pacific.

I am a bit worried about the novelty of my work considering the open textbooks initiatives that is currently taking place. However, during my search I was not able to find any information on the actual detailed processes for developing OER derived digital textbooks.

Appreciate, if I can please have your opinions regarding originality of my proposed study.

Thank you in advance,
Deepak

David Wiley

Nov 5, 2013, 10:39:42 AM11/5/13
to Deepak Prasad, the-open-textb...@googlegroups.com
Deepak,

We have published a white paper on our process for revising and
remixing open textbooks for use in middle and high school science
courses at http://www.lumenlearning.com/whitepapers. In the paper, we
describe our process for supporting a statewide initiative for
remixing open science textbooks which are now used statewide in grades
7-12. You can see the final results here -
http://www.schools.utah.gov/CURR/science/OER.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,

David