Removing support for old Python versions

Éric Araujo

Feb 27, 2012, 8:40:27 AM2/27/12
to the-fellowship-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tarek and all,

Someone suggested me that it was not very useful to support Python 3.1.
From memory, I think the arguments were that it is not widely used,
Python 3 adopters may be more prone to updating to 3.2 quickly, many
people go from 2.7 to 3.2 or wait for the memory improvements in 3.3,
and the codebase is more complicated because 3.1 doesn’t have
__pycache__ directories. So, do you think it is worth it to support 3.1?

On the same note, do we still care about 2.4? Having to build _hashlib
is a pain, especially on Windows.

Cheers

Michael Foord

Feb 27, 2012, 10:31:49 AM2/27/12
to the-fellowship-...@googlegroups.com
Quite a few packages (including Django) are now dropping support for Python 2.4.

Michael

Cheers

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil

Tarek Ziadé

Feb 27, 2012, 10:37:01 AM2/27/12
to the-fellowship-...@googlegroups.com
+1
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org

Éric Araujo

Mar 13, 2012, 10:36:09 AM3/13/12
to the-fellowship-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I will remove 2.4 compatibility kludges in the
code in the coming weeks, but keep 2.5 compat. I’m less sure about 3.1,
I think I’ll ask the wider crowd on distutils-sig.

Cheers