Weekly Meal Plan

Amanda

Jan 18, 2013, 10:52:27 AM1/18/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I just got back from a short trip and am feeling super refreshed and energized. I feel like quitting my boring job and moving to a new city right now! But I can't - still working on that $10,000 (although I bet I could do it on $6,000-ish). My fridge is bare bones empty, so I will be shopping today to stock up for the upcoming weekend/next week, with the priority being SAVINGS. Looking to make some big pots of food to stretch out over a few days, some muffins for quick breakfasts, and leftovers for lunch. I'm still pretty terrible at planning out cheap lunches so if you have ideas please tell me what you do! Sandwiches are always a good bet but it's easy to go through deli meats/cheeses at warp speed and they're pretty pricey.

Anyway, so this is what I'm planning on:

Breakfasts: Pumpkin walnut chocolate chip muffins, eggs, cereal, leftover cornbread.

Lunches: Veggie-centric sandwiches (will chop up pertinent ingredients and keep them in tupperwares in the fridge, so one can assemble one's sandwich v. quickly), leftovers from dinner.

Dinner: Huge pot o' chili & cornbread (still looking for #1 chili recipe), chana masala & naan bread, basil kale pesto pasta, this winter greens soup recipe but I'm going to mess with it and sub in chicken and noodles for the chickpeas, and for an emergency dinner, a carton of tomato soup.

Snacks: Popcorn, kale chips.

What are your menus looking like??? Tell me, tell me :)

Camelia Stan

Jan 18, 2013, 4:55:55 PM1/18/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Breakfasts: Luna bars (I know but... so good, and they're only like $1.35 at my grocery store? That's sort of cheap right?)

Lunches: leftovers from dinner OR tortellini with pasta sauce. This is my emergency food I always have some of. It doesn't go bad!

Dinner: Tuna + cannellini salad, salmon avocado salad (salmon + a salad of avocado, cucumber, tomato, rice vinegar), mushroom rice pilaf (something like this but usually with leeks or onions added, and also hilariously large amounts of mushrooms. maybe sriracha. I don't know, go nuts!), unknown, unknown? I usually shop on Sundays so this isn't finalized yet. Maybe chicken Cobb salad, which I usually make without bacon or cheese but with added cucumbers (so... not really a Cobb salad :/ ) I EAT A LOT OF CUCUMBERS OKAY.

Snacks: fruit, pretzels with peanut butter, rooting around the candy stash?

Jenn Hubbs

Jan 18, 2013, 5:03:36 PM1/18/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
My plan for the week:

Breakfasts: Make some more egg muffins this weekend (basically: mix up eggs, sausage if I have any, and veggies, put in lined muffin tins, top with shredded cheese, bake at 350 degrees for 30ish minutes), and eat those or cereal/milk each morning.

Lunches: My usual, a soft taco tortilla filled with lunch meat of the week, cheese, spinach or lettuce, and occasionally a dollop of ranch

Dinners: On Saturday or Sunday, make a big tray of enchiladas; also, eat leftovers from gigantic thing of soup my partner made yesterday; also, use up stuff in my freezer by making an awesome stirfry on Wednesday night (the night I get my CSA box) to put over veggie burgers. Maybe grilled cheese, too, that sounds really good right now.

I am craving sweets lately, but I have some stuff from Trader Joe's in my cabinets and maybe we will also make some bread and some cookies this weekend with stuff we already have. I'm trying to wipe out my stores so we can use things before they go bad!

You know, I budgeted $50 at the grocery store on my weekend estimate and I have no idea whether I'll actually need anything at all this weekend. Awesome.

Julianne Bell

Jan 19, 2013, 1:24:09 AM1/19/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Today I found out what my CSA box will be next week so I'm super excited about the meals I have planned for it!

Breakfast: Greek yogurt topped with citrus compote (recipe from thekitchn.com, basically just a sauce made out of oranges and honey, I'm gonna make a batch and keep it around in the fridge)
Lunch: Mollie Katzen's winter frittata with thinly sliced potatoes, red onion, goat cheese, and chard (will make it and eat leftover wedges throughout the week)
Dinner: A salad from the Smitten Kitchen cookbook with farro and roasted parsnips and carrots, or various kinds of roasted veggies, paired with baked chicken thighs (I eat way too many chicken thighs...cheap, flavorful, easy!)
Snacks: Pears, apples

rhgol...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2013, 4:22:28 PM1/21/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I figured out this week's meal plan today and did a grocery run (about $50, I might need more snack-things over the course of the week but this should take me to Friday).

Basically, I'm cooking this chard and white bean stew from Smitten Kitchen tonight and kheema tomorrow night. I'm also baking pumpkin chocolate chip muffins tonight. So breakfasts all week are my choice of muffins or something with eggs when I feel like actually cooking. Tomorrow's lunch will be leftover stew. Wednesday/Thursday/Friday I'll have my choice of which kind of leftovers, and I also bought a couple things for quick meals when I don't feel like leftovers- pasta, frozen Gardein "chicken" tenders, etc. That should get me to Friday!

Jenn Hubbs

Jan 29, 2013, 8:45:13 AM1/29/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
What is everyone making this week? I am feeling kind of directionless.

My vague plan: Try out making tortillas tonight. If it works, eat some with uninspiring leftover stirfry and/or make more enchiladas. Get CSA veggies tomorrow. Do... something. I don't know. I ate out three times last weekend for no good reason; I gotta get back into cooking!

Emily

Jan 29, 2013, 5:51:50 PM1/29/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
For breakfast, I made a batch of banana blueberry muffins, which should last me through the week.

I made homemade frozen burritos this weekend and brought the whole bag in to work.  I've been forgetting my lunch in the fridge a lot lately, and now I don't have to remember lunch because it's already in the freezer at work.

I made a big batch of chipotle turkey meatballs, and I'll have them for a couple of dinners and freeze the rest.  I'll probably do rice and roasted veggies with them.  I'm planning to have spaghetti with beans and kale one night, and I'll probably wing it with some sort of pasta thing one other night.

Jenn Hubbs

Jan 30, 2013, 8:33:33 AM1/30/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
The frozen burritos sound awesome! I might need to do that. I have some Amy's frozen burritos in my freezer for when I get lazy, but I'm down to just breakfast ones. I'll eat those for dinner, too, but I prefer to have a variety. The chipotle turkey meatballs sound delicious, too.

I did get around to making my own tortillas, and while they were good, I wouldn't have been able to use them for enchiladas or burritos, so those will wait until next week. I did use them for super-simple in-the-microwave spinach quesadillas last night, though.

Tonight we get our CSA box with beets, fennel, rutabaga, carrots, strawberries, and lots of greens (arugula, lettuce, I already have some spinach). I plan to make one big mixed salad and take some of it to work the next few days topped with cheese and the chicken salad I have in the fridge already (I didn't know I'd be getting this when I made myself sandwich bread for the rest of the week last night... oh well) and maybe also eat it with dinners, though we usually don't remember to eat side dishes.

With the rest of it I'll be making a veggie-filled lentil soup tonight and eating on that for the rest of the week. I'll throw in some leftover veggie Italian sausage for extra protein. I'll probably use the rest of my sandwich bread for breakfasts, but if I run out I'll just eat cereal & milk like usual. Snacks will be hummus with bread or chips.

We also plan to make calzones for lunch on Saturday - yum! I suspect that between that, the 2-4 servings of leftover stirfry already in the fridge, and this soup, I'm fine all the way through the weekend. Next week I'll definitely get store-bought tortillas and make enchiladas, but I'm not sure beyond that.

Karen Bowness

Jan 30, 2013, 11:46:19 AM1/30/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
i made a big batch of slow-cooker chili last week, and ate the end of the leftovers on some polenta last night (polenta is a miracle!).

tonight i am making budget byte's teriyaki meatballs with some kind of veggie (whatever looks good when i go to the store). they look like they'll be good leftovers, too. thursday i'm eating out, and friday night will be my SO's turn at dinner, so that's the week for me.

i do want to recommend 101 cookbook's red lentil coconut curry soup though, which is what has been lunch all week - i made it with chicken broth, and added frozen peas and paneer - definitely do that, if you make it. soooo good.

Katie/faustbanana

Jan 30, 2013, 12:47:20 PM1/30/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I've been good this week about cooking my own food instead of buying. This weekend I made a gluten-free coffee cake, which is... actually pretty gross, but I eat it with some yogurt in the morning and it's OK. Definitely one of those dishes you would not share with anyone else lest it reflect poorly on your cooking skills! I blame the GF flour I used, and the two sticks of butter (!!!) called for in the recipe.

I also made a big pot of lentil soup (Martha Stewart's recipe - I like her tendency towards simple but flavorful recipes), which was good even though I forgot to add the tomato paste and the 2 extra cups of water. So it's more like just lentils. But it's still good! I added some kale as well, and have been eating it with brown rice - that lasted me four days.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to do a simple lemon and herb-roasted chicken and eat that for the rest of the week with various accouterments (quinoa, sweet potato, maybe some other roasted veg or greens)

Snacks: I bought a bulk carton of roasted cashews that I've been munching on, along with some 2% cottage cheese. Nothing too exciting!

Amanda

Jan 30, 2013, 6:56:53 PM1/30/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I have been sick since Sunday and haven't been able to go grocery shopping, leaving it to Adam to get what he wants. So far he's gotten sandwich ingredients, two thick steaks, carrots, kale, and a thing of tomato soup. All very delicious but I am looking forward to going grocery shopping again and maxing out savings vs. meals.

Adam has made a complaint that many of the recipes I choose take a lot of time to prepare and clean up from (a valid complaint!). He dislikes the fact that both he and I have to come home from work to more work (housework) and especially that kitchen housework is eating into laundry/bathroom/vacuuming housework (it is!) for both of us, and that we both have better things to be doing than to be cleaning up vegetable trimmings and loading the dishwasher for the nth time that day, not to mention all the other chores and tasks lurking around every corner.True, true, all very true.

ALSO somehow (and I will get to this in my next update article, coming soon), somehow EVEN WITH extra grocery savings this month, all our money kind of evaporated this way and that way and we barely saved ANY MONEY. AGAINNNNNN!! *furious angry typing*. I need to figure this out! Argh!

SO. THIS week, to kick off February, I'm going to take his complaint into consideration as well as putting strong emphasis on $$$ SAVINGS when it comes to cooking. What I'm thinking is on the weekend I will make a big pot of _____ to get us through most of the week, plus throughout the week make some stuff that converts into grab-n-go food (pasta, muffins, pizza?, etc still thinking about it) and clean up very thoroughly afterward instead of leaving a small mountain of dishes for Adam to tackle when he gets home after a long day (ugh, guilty of this). Grab-n-go is the best when it comes to packing lunches, or in Adam's case, a quick stop home for a bite to eat on his break, since obviously it requires zero prep time.

So, back to actual food, what does that entail, Amanda?

Breakfasts: Muffins have turned out to be an awesome idea, as they are very portable, quick to eat, and nutritious if you make the right kind. Oh, and cheap! So, muffins, eggs, cereal.

Lunches: More sandwiches. Super easy to throw together in a hurry, lots of cheap but yummy toppings pre-sliced by me. Also some boxed soup in the pantry for a quick hot lunch. These ingredients can also transform into a pretty yummy emergency dinner. Also, leftovers. I really wanted to try this citrus compote to eat over yogurt that someone linked to earlier but it may be a little off-objective.

Dinners: These croquetas look cheap and delicious and I can make cheese ones, too. I love croquetas. A huge pot of this crema de garbanzos soup again I think, especially since I already have tomato puree and garbanzos in my pantry. More spicy tuna pasta. Maybe a pizza with sliced sausage, olives, and cheese? I already have olives. I feel like that should do it for the week, but I might need a little more protein in there for Adam's job since it involves physical labor. Baked chicken thighs and cuban rice to eat with garbanzos soup? I have like 2 bags of long grain rice languishing.

Desserts: Just realized I have a huge sack of masa de harina in pantry and strawberries are in season, perhaps some kind of strawberry shortcakes? Or is this me getting carried away again? (yes.)

Snacks:  More kale chips, more popcorn. Both cheap and yummy.

Sorry for all this extraneous updating, I've been hack-coughing and housebound for 3 days and am going stir-crazy.

Amanda

Jan 30, 2013, 7:35:55 PM1/30/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
...ooh or that lentil soup you guys mentioned. That with chicken thighs added for extra protein would hit all of what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Amanda

Feb 1, 2013, 7:04:02 AM2/1/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
(Oh yeah & never mind about the money part, apparently I'm bad at math.. we did good this month, yay!)

Amanda

Feb 17, 2013, 3:15:18 PM2/17/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Another week. Feeling really uninspired and quite moody! (what am I doing with my life???, etc.) Trying to snap out of it and get productive.

Breakfast: Pumpkin muffins. Thinking of making blueberry oatmeal muffins to switch things up a bit as well. Eggs, cereal.

Lunch: I've been on a peanut butter sandwich thing, so I think I'll keep that going.

Dinner: The recipe for lentil soup that someone linked to earlier sounds great. I really want to make some proper shakshouka as well. Still want to make croquetas. This creamy tomato tuna pasta recipe looks pretty awesome and I have all the ingredients already. Perhaps I will even try my hand at these apple endive treats with some chicken on the side?

Snacks: Roasted chickpeas, popcorn, kale chips.

Emily

Feb 19, 2013, 7:59:09 PM2/19/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I have serious February doldrums, but here's what I came up with:

Breakfast: banana muffins.  They're cheaper than the banana blueberry muffins that I've made for the past couple of weeks, but I think I like the blueberry ones better.  I'm going to see if Aldi has cheap frozen blueberries for next week.

Lunch: I made burritos to take to work.  This week I made barbacoa burritos using this recipe.  They're ok, but not great.

For dinner, I made tuna noodle casserole over the weekend and have been eating the leftovers.  I made some things that are basically shredded chicken wrapped in puff pastry.  I've got some tofu and I'll probably do some sort of stir fry.

Snacks: my usual apples, pears and baby carrots.  Oh, and for some reason I made lemon curd and have been eating it with a spoon.

Amanda

Feb 24, 2013, 5:25:57 PM2/24/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I want to start making things from The Essential New York Times Cookbook which is exciting/overwhelming to flip through - every other page contains something that makes my mouth water. I've been craving tomatoes, vegetables, and springtime flavors. I dream of growing a kitchen garden but I live in a tiny apartment and also suck at gardening or growing plants, so. oh well.

Breakfast: Muffins. Blueberry-bran-oatmeal, apple-cinnamon-sugar-oatmeal?

Lunch: Malaga Gazpacho - a simple gazpacho that can be prepared ahead of time and doesn't need to be heated up at work (I have an unreasonable hatred for microwaving things). I could eat it with hunks of fresh baguette torn off and dipped- yum. Also, sandwich ingredients.

Dinner: Definitely making Martha Stewart's lentil soup again (thank you Katie/faustbanana, that soup is amazing). Spicy tuna pasta is a good quick dinner. Fish tacos. Ismael Merchant's Very Hot Chicken Soup.

Snacks: Breaded & fried tuna-stuffed olives? Croquetas?? :) I will if I'm feeling ambitious, otherwise it's the usual (popcorn, kale chips)

Emily

Feb 25, 2013, 10:39:46 PM2/25/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
For breakfast I made and froze baked oatmeal.  It's ok.  I might go back to muffins next week.

For lunch I have leftover freezer burritos from last week.  I made a big batch.

For dinner, I made a pasta salad with roasted fennel, eggplant, and olives.  It's delicious, and I'm feeling very smug now that the study about the Mediterranean diet has come out, but the ingredients were super expensive.  I also got stuff to make cold sesame noodles with tofu.  And I've got some leftover chili and lentil soup in the freezer that I can use up if that doesn't get me to Saturday.

Amanda

Mar 14, 2013, 6:37:42 AM3/14/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
This week:

Chocolate sablé cookies (already made these-sooo bad but so good!)

Mark Bittman's minimalist paella ( http://www.nytimes.com/recipes/8539/The-Minimalists-Paella.html)

Sicilian mushroom soup

Eggplant involtini

Dark Tuscan duck spaghetti

Spaghetti with fried egg and roasted pepper

Roman-style meatballs

And I think that's it! All recipes from my new cookbook which ive been poring over at work on my down time beacause I'm a dork. The recipes might sound fancy but the ingredient lists are pretty basic- the fanciest thing is the duck pasta but even that isn't so bad. I got 1 fresh duck breast for ~$5.00 and the other pricy-ish ingredient is red wine. Not bad at all.

It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I have done a proper shopping trip. My last stockup lasted quite a while and we supplemented with 2 small trips for basics. The last two days we ate out though and although it was just 2 work lunches and 1 pub dinner out (inexpensive), I felt really guilty about it! Now our fridge and pantry are packed to the gills again and the peaceful feeling of well-being it's giving me is weird yet satisfying. Aaah, preparation.

Amanda

Mar 14, 2013, 5:55:48 PM3/14/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
(oh yeah also baked goat cheese and mixed greens salad)

Amanda

Mar 24, 2013, 4:16:43 PM3/24/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Back to healthy basics this week.

BUT I was inspired by this video from Alain Passard of carrots, baby beets, and baby turnips with orange and saffron and this video of a carrot salad with pureed herb dressing and I really want to make something similar? They look so appropriate for the tail end of winter / beginnings of spring. I don't have a mandolin though hmm.

So:

Breakfasts: Cereal. Eggs. Muffins. Possibly making danishes with almond filling if I feel motivated? I have ingredients already and it would be a fun challenge although not very healthy.

Lunches: PB&Js. Ham & cheese sandwiches. Leftovers.

Dinners:
- Hamburgers with onion & tomato on the grill (have some ground beef leftover for this)
- Carrot, onion, garbanzo, tomato, garlic and jamon serrano soup with pan frito - gigantic vat of this
- Carrot salad with fresh sage (can I even buy this idk), chervil (I'll use parsley), coriander, and rosemary dressing with lemon chicken
- I want gazpacho again! so damned tasty and fresh.
- Hummus with pita; eat with some sliced cured sausage maybe?
- Pizza with goat cheese, onion, spinach, and ham

Snacks: Popcorn.

Drinks: We mostly only drink water, coffee, and a glass or two of beer or wine at night. I think this week will be a wine week.

Jenn Hubbs

Apr 2, 2013, 12:32:41 PM4/2/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I've been feeling uninspired lately, and thus have eaten out WAY too much and planned way too little.

My meal-week generally starts on Wednesday, when I get my CSA box. The last few weeks have been largely lettuce, cilantro, and chard, which has been disappointing (I dislike all three), so I'm hoping for something a little more varied this week. Maybe a little more broccoli or something? We got one glorious stalk of broccoli last week, which went into the lasagna I've been eating for lunch this week. If you asked me based on the last month if I'd do a CSA again, I'd say no. We'll probably take a year off and see how it goes - still go to the farmer's market for interesting produce but shop around some. Lately too much has just gone into the compost bin.

Anyway. I have the stuff for enchiladas - pork, black beans, sauce, red onions, tortillas, and whatever comes in the box that I want to put in. I just need to buy cheese. That will cover dinner Wednesday and Thursday, plus lunches the rest of the week.

Friday I want to make a pizza. Again, I need cheese, plus sauce, but I'll use the breadmaker for dough, I have pepperoni, and we'll add whatever other veggies we get that seem pizza-appropriate at the time.

Saturday I will be running a race 45 minutes outside town, then heading to the beach with my dude to collect shells for a class he's in. I expect eating out for all three meals, sadly.

Sunday I hope we will have enough leftovers for lunch (or that I'll have had time to make bread for sandwiches), then we'll either make pasta + meatballs for dinner or have family dinner at his mom's house - we'll see. Monday will either be the pasta mentioned for Sunday or something yet to be determined.

I guess I haven't done a full week, but I'm going to try baby steps. Since I haven't adequately planned in over a month, I don't want to overwhelm myself and give up. :)

Meredith

Apr 2, 2013, 12:55:14 PM4/2/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Love this group! Just what I need to get myself organized.

Last night had some folks over for dinner: roasted a massive chicken (7.5 lbs! stuffed with lemons and using this rub), made a wild rice/brown rice pilaf (with a dressing of lemon & orange zest, touch of sesame oil, sauteed onions, honey & dijon mustard - so good!), Budgetbytes no knead bread, and green beans with roasted garlic. So much chicken leftover which I was hoping for! Going to try to make stock with the bones too...at some point....

Need something lighter tonight after a weekend of easter feasts and last night. Have some leftover spicy and cumin-y black bean/corn salad that has been looking at me from the back of the fridge since last week, think I will make soup with leftover chicken, stock, the bean salad with some sauteed onions & garlic.

Wednesday & Thursday will be out to celebrate my boyfriends birthday, then friday I'm planning to make some snap pea risotto & salad. And since I still have a lemon or two left over and a ton of roasted garlic, and hopefully some chicken still, might try to throw together a lemon-garlic-chicken pasta dish on Saturday. And Sunday this baked falafel recipe and this pita bread. The best discovery I've made trying to cut down on my grocery budget is how easy & delicious making your own bread is! And I love the budgetbytes recipes because she posts photos of every step so I can reassure myself that I'm not messing things up.

I usually take leftovers for work lunches, but love the idea of whipping up some muffins and taking to work for breakfast each day.

Amanda

Apr 7, 2013, 12:39:54 PM4/7/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Went shopping Friday night. Ate sushi for dinner. Yesterday I grilled out with my sisters but I suck at making hamburgers so they were like little beef hockey pucks. Will need more hamburger practice.

This week:

Breakfasts: Same as usual. I have ingredients for pumpkin muffins and danishes with almond filling if I feel like it. I need to figure out how to bring a decent breakfast to work with me, it makes mornings so much better but I can never make the time to cook and eat a hot breakfast before I go.

Lunches: I got some deli herb roasted turkey slices, some spicy chorizo deli slices, some peanut butter, some jelly. So, more sandwiches.

Dinners:
- I found this mustard roasted fish with lentils, peas, and spinach recipe, which sounds healthy and filling and wholesome. I bought salmon to make it with.
- A fryer chicken (tiny, like 4 lbs) to roast with fingerling potatoes and asparagus.
- My Lazy Spanakopita from The Wednesday Chef (totally looking forward to this one)
- Some fresh sausages (chorizo and andouille) to grill, cut in half lengthwise and insert into toasted kaiser bun to create yummy sandwich. Will eat with salad.
- I think that's it. I still have leftover garbanzo-carrot-potato soup but it's not looking too appetizing after 3 days of huge bowls of it.

Snacks:
Popcorn, duh.

Dranks:
Beer. Water. Coffee. Tea.

Karen Bowness

Apr 7, 2013, 2:02:55 PM4/7/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Amanda, you should try breakfast burritos - makes ahead, freeze, and then reheat when you get to the office. No extra work in the morning! Also, I freeze portions of soup that is good, but not good enough to eat again. Most soup reheats fairly well.

Meredith

Apr 8, 2013, 11:58:59 AM4/8/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Mustard fish sounds so tasty! Have some pickerel (whitefish) that's been sitting in my freezer for ages, think I will try that recipe next week. Karen, can you recommend a breakfast burrito recipe? Do you put eggs in it?

This week:
 - leftover falafel
 - lemon & roasted garlic pasta w/ leftovers from last weeks roasted chicken
 - calzones stuffed with whatever is kicking around (think I have some chorizo in freezer)
 -  teriyaki meatballs, rice, salad or some sort of veg, which I didn't think about while grocery shopping on the weekend. guess I could make a lettuce, cucumber, grated carrot salad? Need some easy homemade salad dressing recipes if anyone has suggestions to share.
-stuffed red peppers (stuffing: ground beef, red onion, garlic, brown rice, spices, cheese), baked at 350 for 30 minutes.

Karen Bowness

Apr 8, 2013, 12:47:23 PM4/8/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
The Pioneer Woman has a hearty eggs-sausage-potatoes breakfast burrito, and someone in the comments has successfully frozen them.
Happy Simple Living has a pretty similar version.
Iowa Girl Eats does a bacon-egg-cheese version (if the potatoes seem to carby/time consuming).
Shutterbean has a vegetarian-friendly version (zucchini!)
Budget Bytes makes them with black beans!

I haven't made all of these, but they're sort of a variation on a can't-go-wrong theme. Eggs/Cheese/Protein/maybe a veggie. Yum! I'd be happy eating these for lunch, too.

Meredith

Apr 15, 2013, 2:31:42 PM4/15/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! I will check those out. Will have some leftover tortillas this week so that works perfectly.

This week's plan:

-black bean & cheese quesadillas, salad
-Slow cooker shredded pork tacos, with black beans & fixins
-Lemon-roasted garlic chicken pasta (did not do this last week).
-empanadas with black beans & ground beef
-leftovers, glorious leftovers. We were hoping to barbeque this week, but are currently in the middle of a snowstorm (I live in Winnipeg, Canada) so I doubt that will happen.

Amanda

Apr 17, 2013, 11:31:32 PM4/17/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I went shopping yesterday, and partly inspired by you guys' suggestions, my plans for this week are:

For breakfast:
- Cereal
- Yogurt with walnuts, strawberries, or bananas
- Eggs & toast
- I have ingredients for pumpkin muffins

For lunch:
- Sandwiches, como siempre

For dinners:
- Beans & rice ( well, black beans, tomatoes, red onion chopped, mixed with salt, pepper, & cumin, pour over tilapia & cook, eat with lemon squeezed over & cilantro)
- Pita & hummus, homemade
- Chicken, potato, carrot & lentil soup (just winging it, no recipe)
- Sausage simmered in tomatoes, garlic, & paprika with bread

Snacks: popcorn. Drinks: water, beer, tea, coffee

This stuff is not the cheapest possible stuff but the bill was only $100! As opposed to true usual $150ish. So that is good! Hopefully we won't have to do any mid-week stock up trips.

Amanda

Apr 27, 2013, 3:03:28 PM4/27/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Big changes are afoot!

I am alone for the month so am back to eating for one. Now that Adam is no longer working at Fancy Organic Grocery Store Whose Initials are W.F., and thus I am no longer in possession of a functioning discount card, I feel at liberty to shop for food anywhere.

I went to Dekalb Farmers Market today and it was BEAUTIFUL and god, was it CHEAP. Amazing. I forgot how much I love shopping there. The piles of infinite varieties of fresh veggies inspired me to make for this week:

- Mustard greens + kale + pine nuts + garlic pesto with tuna, olives, rigatoni pasta, red wine.
- Red wine sauced baked button mushrooms, rice, marinate chicken thighs in garlic, lemon, seasonings, bake, sriracha.
- Mild italian sausage, fresh tomatoes, garlic, wine? cooked down into sauce, eat on more pasta.

Breakfasts/lunches will be blueberry muffins, toast with avocados mashed on top & seasoned, bananas, pb&j sandwiches, eggs, or grilled cheese sandwiches.

Oh my god I am set for food for like 2 weeks. Which is one less thing to think about, happily, because I am overwhelmed with things to get done!!!! aaahhh

Katie Wilson

May 21, 2013, 4:14:12 PM5/21/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Is anyone still reading around here?  Maybe if our fearless leader is in transition then the board won't be as widely used.

But I did just want to point to a link from theKitchn.  They posted a whole weekly meal plan that actually seems doable:
http://www.thekitchn.com/a-work-week-menu-you-can-do-189485

It's not completely vegetarian, but the same idea could apply.