Personal concoctions

Katie/faustbanana

Jan 30, 2013, 12:53:38 PM1/30/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Faced with an aging container of cottage cheese, I wanted to top it with something other than my usual canned pineapple. I found this thread on Chowhound about the various things people add to CC:

Lots of good ideas, and some gross ones too.

Do you guys eat cottage cheese? If so, what do you eat with it? Are there any other odd combos you like to eat while you're sitting around in your jammies?

I'll eat almost anything, but am not so creative when it comes to scrounging up snacks. My weirdest is probably carrot sticks dipped in peanut butter (does white wine on ice count as a snack?)

Amanda

Feb 1, 2013, 6:42:04 AM2/1/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I love making grilled cheese sandwiches drizzled in honey as a super unhealthy snack. Adam likes to make a bowl of cereal, then mix in hot cocoa powder to make it chocolatey. Not too sure what to do with cottage cheese... mini cheesecake?

Jenn Hubbs

Feb 1, 2013, 11:41:01 AM2/1/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Inquiring minds want - no, need - to know: does the honey go inside the sandwich, or over it?

Amanda

Feb 1, 2013, 7:55:55 PM2/1/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
Over it, after you're done letting it sizzle away in (a small amount of) butter till it's crisp, browned, and the cheese is nice and gooey. So bad but so good!

Maya

Feb 2, 2013, 4:56:19 AM2/2/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
I made these cottage cheese fritters posted on the awl (http://www.theawl.com/2012/09/lost-food-fritters) over Christmas and they were pretty good with maple syrup on top.  I wouldn't necessarily go out to buy cottage cheese for this dish, but it's definitely an option for leftover cottage cheese, and you could reduce the other ingredients to fit the amount you have.

I also occasionally blend up cottage cheese and use it in place of ricotta in a (hopefully) healthier lasagna.  It looks kinda disgusting once blended, but I can't taste or feel the difference once it's baked up with sauce and noodles.

Other snacks - stove popcorn with parmesan and anything or a spoon dipped in hummus!

Amanda

Feb 9, 2013, 5:48:44 PM2/9/13
to the-billfold-mea...@googlegroups.com
This morning I improvised some awesome scrambled eggs for brunch. They taste a lot like eggs I had while I was in Spain a couple years ago, so I titled them "Spanish Eggs" in my head. I feel like if there was ever a competition like Chopped but was instead called like "Chopped: Muffins and Eggs Edition", I would totally win! Hahaha, not really... But I am pretty great at cooking those things. Here is the recipe in case anyone else wants to make it!:

Spanish Eggs
  • Eggs (2/person)
  • A few small tomatoes cut into wedges
  • A few slices deli ham, diced
  • Half a red onion, diced
  • Spanish paprika (pimenton)
  • Small pat of butter
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat. Once the butter is hot, throw in the tomatoes, ham, and onions, and let sizzle for ~5 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are clear, tomatoes have broken down, and ham is slightly browned. Crack eggs into pan and stir them into the tomato/ham/onion mixture, scrambling them. As they begin to firm up, add in a couple good pinches (~ 1 tsp) paprika, a small pinch salt (~1/4 tsp), and a dash of pepper (~1/4 tsp). Once eggs are cooked, serve.