Error code -1701 when trying to use Replace command

Jim Constant

Jan 13, 2014, 7:27:14 PM1/13/14
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm using TW 4.5.5 on Mavericks and when I try to use the Replace command I get:

This operation couldn't be completed, because an error occurred.

(MacOS Error code: -1701)

[Copy to Clipboard]     [OK]

Anybody know what this error code means and how to fix it? I've searched for the answer and have found fixes for other error codes, but not this one.

Thanks,
Jim

Steve

Jan 13, 2014, 8:23:14 PM1/13/14
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2237?viewlocale=en_US suggests that -1701 means

-1701 errAEDescNotFound Descriptor record was not found

What kind of file are you accessing, and on what filesystem (such as a file on a thumb drive or network drive)?

Is your search/replace using Grep, and if so, what is your search/replace field? There could be an invalid character, look-ahead/behind, or bracket issue.

Also, if you're searching Google for an error code that starts with a minus sign, remove the minus sign (so search for "Error Code 1701" instead of "Error Code -1701". Otherwise, it strips out all sites where "1701" gets mentioned.

Tony Chung

Jan 13, 2014, 9:25:54 PM1/13/14
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
You could also wrap the -1701 within quotes. "-1701". I found a lot of hits based on that.

One was from 2009 and related to TW

But it doesn't look resolved.

-Tony

Thomas Fischer

Jan 14, 2014, 3:07:24 AM1/14/14
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jim,

I can create the message "MacOS Error code: -1701" when I use a replace with grep where there is a back reference (like \1) which wasn't filled in before, e.g. when I use a "replace" before I actually searched and found anything.

Does this help?

Best
Thomas

--
This is the TextWrangler Talk public discussion group.
please email "sup...@barebones.com" instead of posting here.