Textwrangler privilege problem

wilco menge

Jan 15, 2011, 9:45:18 AM1/15/11
to TextWrangler Talk
Hi,

I'm trying to setup Apache and PHP on Mac OS X and I'm trying to use
Textwrangler to edit the configuration files. I run into a problem
however when trying to save the /private/etc/apache2/httpd.conf file:

From the terminal, I can edit the file using the sudo command followed
by an terminal editor like vi or pico). When opening the file in
Textwrangler I the following message:

Are you sure you want to unlock httpd.conf? (You aren't a member
of the group wheels).

When I choose unlock, the dash in the pencil icon is removed. When I
try to save the file, I get the following error:

The operation could not be completed, because an error occured.
(You do not have sufficient privileges to perform this operation
(MacOS Error code: -5000)

Any ideas? My account has administrator rights, I am on OS X 10.6.6.

Thanks in advance

Tom Robinson

Jan 15, 2011, 12:12:57 PM1/15/11
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
Did you download TextWrangler from the Mac App Store? That version unfortunately can't do authenticated saves, whereas the version from Bare Bones's website can:

http://www.barebones.com/store/macappstore.html

Cheers

Sent from my iPad

wilco menge

Jan 16, 2011, 6:22:13 AM1/16/11
to TextWrangler Talk
Thanks, just the info I need. Has this got something to do with
complying to the app store policy?

regards,

On 15 jan, 18:12, Tom Robinson <barefootg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you download TextWrangler from the Mac App Store?  That version unfortunately can't do authenticated saves, whereas the version from Bare Bones's website can:
>
> http://www.barebones.com/store/macappstore.html
>
> Cheers
>
> Sent from my iPad

Tom Robinson

Jan 16, 2011, 11:33:39 AM1/16/11
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
Read the link--bottom of page 8-)

wilco menge

Jan 17, 2011, 4:34:45 AM1/17/11
to TextWrangler Talk
Thanks! (note to self: first read, then post) ;)

On 16 jan, 17:33, Tom Robinson <barefootg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Read the link--bottom of page 8-)

Will

Jan 23, 2011, 7:30:24 PM1/23/11
to TextWrangler Talk
I'm encountering the same issue, however I didn't get my copy from the
app store, and the command line installer will not run on my comp.

any other ideas? I've already deleted TextWrangler from my machine
and reinstalled it.

wrecksdart

May 26, 2012, 5:46:29 PM5/26/12
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
Will,

I've got the same issue--I dl'ed the .dmg from BB's website (not from the App Store), and I've tried removing the app every way possible but the error persists (and I'm really tired of having to Force Quit every time I need to use the app).  I keep hoping for a solution to pop up here...I guess hope springs eternal.

Good luck to both of us,

wd

wrecksdart

May 26, 2012, 5:51:31 PM5/26/12
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
Disregard my last post--I figured it out.  Go to TW's settings --> Applications, and uncheck "Reopen documents that were open at last quit".  That should get rid of the error code (it did for me).

wd

Felipe Caballero Gil

Jan 4, 2014, 5:37:51 PM1/4/14
to textwr...@googlegroups.com
I tried downloading the barebones file and it worked for me.