Problem with running (debuging) testNG tests in Eclipse 3.3

Jiří Mareš

Aug 29, 2007, 9:59:48 AM8/29/07
to testng-users
Hi,

after upgrade to Eclipse 3.3 I hav starting to struggle with the
unpresens of "TestNG Tests" in "Run As" and "Debug As" menus. After
few experiments I realized, that when the Eclipse is started the menus
are there. But after the first hitting the "Run As" button in toolbar,
not its drop down menu, the following stack trace going into .log file
and the "TensNG Tests" is no more in the menus.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.debug.ui 4 0 2007-08-29 15:58:20.044
!MESSAGE Launch shortcut 'org.testng.eclipse.shortcut' enablement
expression caused exception. Shortcut was removed.
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: No property tester contributes
a property isTest to type class
org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.File
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.TypeExtensionManager.getProperty(TypeExtensionManager.java:
109)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.TestExpression.evaluate(TestExpression.java:
95)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:
53)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.IterateExpression.evaluate(IterateExpression.java:
150)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:
53)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.WithExpression.evaluate(WithExpression.java:
69)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.CompositeExpression.evaluateAnd(CompositeExpression.java:
53)
at
org.eclipse.core.internal.expressions.EnablementExpression.evaluate(EnablementExpression.java:
43)
at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchShortcutExtension.evalEnablementExpression(LaunchShortcutExtension.java:
282)
at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationManager.getApplicableConfigurationTypes(LaunchConfigurationManager.java:
714)
at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.launchConfigurations.LaunchConfigurationManager.getApplicableLaunchConfigurations(LaunchConfigurationManager.java:
747)
at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.contextlaunching.LaunchingResourceManager.getResourceLabel(LaunchingResourceManager.java:
303)
at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.contextlaunching.LaunchingResourceManager.computeLabels(LaunchingResourceManager.java:
207)
at
org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.contextlaunching.LaunchingResourceManager
$2.run(LaunchingResourceManager.java:125)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.expressions 4 201 2007-08-29 15:58:20.045
!MESSAGE No property tester contributes a property isTest to type
class org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.File

Jirka

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Aug 29, 2007, 10:38:02 AM8/29/07
to testng...@googlegroups.com
I've seen this too... but I cannot reproduce it so that I can figure
out what's going on.

Is the scenario you're describing repeatable?

tia,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
TestNG co-founder

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Aug 29, 2007, 9:11:46 PM8/29/07
to testng...@googlegroups.com
I think I've finally figured it out:

in Eclipse 3.3 one very important aspect of launching has been
changed: in previous versions when pressing the Run/Debug button or
using the corresponding Run/Debug shortcuts the last run sessions was
launched.

In 3.3, this is not anymore valid: check Window -> Preferences ->
Run/Debug -> Launching -> Launch Operation, which is currently set to
"Launch the selected resource or active editor. If not launchable
Launch the associated project". The 3.2 behavior is equivalent to the
first option in there: Always launch the previously launched
application.

It will take me a while to figure it out what's happening with the 3.3
behavior, but I must confess that once I realized this change I was
pretty much ready to give up Eclipse and move to Idea, till I've found
it.

bests,

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
TestNG co-founder

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Aug 29, 2007, 9:34:09 PM8/29/07
to testng...@googlegroups.com
Got something:

if you can edit the plugin.xml and replace (at line 196 or around) the
following:

<propertyTester
properties="isSuite"

with

<propertyTester
properties="isTest"

the exception will go away. However, if you press Run/Debug the class
with not be launched as TestNG test. I will further investigate this
part.

./alex
--
.w( the_mindstorm )p.
TestNG co-founder

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Aug 29, 2007, 10:32:24 PM8/29/07
to testng...@googlegroups.com
WARNING: Please DO NOT apply the previous posted change. It will break
running XML suite defs.

I am on it, and I will post as soon as I got something working (but
don't hold your breath as it is already 5:30am).

Jiří Mareš

Aug 30, 2007, 2:46:27 AM8/30/07
to testng-users
Hi,

finally reading ... ok, I change the settings about the "Run As/Debug
As" toolbar button behaviour, waiting for the patch ...

Jirka

On 30 Srp, 04:32, "Alexandru Popescu "

<the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WARNING: Please DO NOT apply the previous posted change. It will break
> running XML suite defs.
>
> I am on it, and I will post as soon as I got something working (but
> don't hold your breath as it is already 5:30am).
>
> ./alex
> --
> .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> TestNG co-founder
> EclipseTestNG Creator
>

> On 8/30/07, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Got something:
>
> > if you can edit the plugin.xml and replace (at line 196 or around) the
> > following:
>
> > <propertyTester
> > properties="isSuite"
>
> > with
>
> > <propertyTester
> > properties="isTest"
>
> > the exception will go away. However, if you press Run/Debug the class
> > with not be launched as TestNG test. I will further investigate this
> > part.
>
> > ./alex
> > --
> > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> > TestNG co-founder
> > EclipseTestNG Creator
>

> > On 8/30/07, Alexandru Popescu <the.mindstorm.mailingl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I think I've finally figured it out:
>
> > > in Eclipse 3.3 one very important aspect of launching has been
> > > changed: in previous versions when pressing the Run/Debug button or
> > > using the corresponding Run/Debug shortcuts the last run sessions was
> > > launched.
>
> > > In 3.3, this is not anymore valid: check Window -> Preferences ->
> > > Run/Debug -> Launching -> Launch Operation, which is currently set to
> > > "Launch the selected resource or active editor. If not launchable
> > > Launch the associated project". The 3.2 behavior is equivalent to the
> > > first option in there: Always launch the previously launched
> > > application.
>
> > > It will take me a while to figure it out what's happening with the 3.3
> > > behavior, but I must confess that once I realized this change I was
> > > pretty much ready to give up Eclipse and move to Idea, till I've found
> > > it.
>
> > > bests,
>
> > > ./alex
> > > --
> > > .w( the_mindstorm )p.
> > > TestNG co-founder
> > > EclipseTestNG Creator

Alexandru Popescu ☀

Aug 30, 2007, 5:21:15 AM8/30/07
to testng...@googlegroups.com
On 8/30/07, Jiří Mareš <Jiri....@svt.cz> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> finally reading ... ok, I change the settings about the "Run As/Debug
> As" toolbar button behaviour, waiting for the patch ...

The good news is that I have the fix :-). The bad news is that I don't
know how to distribute it. Please let me know if you are willing to
receive it offline for testing.

Jiří Mareš

Aug 30, 2007, 8:29:20 AM8/30/07
to testng-users
Ofcourse I'm ... you can contact me on mine email to organize the
testing ...

Jirka

On 30 Srp, 11:21, "Alexandru Popescu "