Make reporting more verbose

garvitag...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2017, 12:29:27 AM12/4/17
to testng-users
Hi,

My test suite is integrated to CI, when CI run is complete- allure report is generated in the end. Is there any way to make reporting more verbose- that can explain in layman language what is happening. Please see attached snapshot for example.

A test is sequence of steps- as i have designed , i know what is happening when i see log on console. But is there a way to add more description to console for each step that can help others to understand what is happening in test.

Thanks !!

log.PNG

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Dec 4, 2017, 12:32:30 AM12/4/17
to testng...@googlegroups.com
What do you mean when you say add more description ?

You seem to be running Cucumber Tests. Here TestNG can only act as a TestRunner [ a mechanism to basically blend your feature file and your glues together and run the scenarios iteratively ]. TestNG doesnt have any role beyond that to play.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

garvitag...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2017, 1:11:07 AM12/4/17
to testng-users
By adding more description means- like in snapshot there are comments in green that are describing kind of user story. The snapshot attached is just a sample that came as requirement if we can also incorporate something like this with selenium.

When my test suite is run- console displays text that i have mentioned using Reporter.log(). For simple test, its fine. For test containing many functions, is there a way that console displays comments regarding to that.

Example :
@Test
makePiechart()
{
 // select pie chart from dropdown
// select parameter 1 = company
// create chart
// assert chart labels
// assert chart title
// get tooltips
}

All this is happening in one test. How can i add these comments to console ?

Thanks !!

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:59 AM, <garvitag...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

My test suite is integrated to CI, when CI run is complete- allure report is generated in the end. Is there any way to make reporting more verbose- that can explain in layman language what is happening. Please see attached snapshot for example.

A test is sequence of steps- as i have designed , i know what is happening when i see log on console. But is there a way to add more description to console for each step that can help others to understand what is happening in test.

Thanks !!

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Dec 4, 2017, 1:25:14 AM12/4/17
to testng...@googlegroups.com
I believe you would need to look at a gherkin.formatter.Formatter or a gherkin.formatter.Reporter from Cucumber (I forget which exactly), implement it and then wire it in via @CucumberOptions annotation.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

garvitag...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2017, 1:28:09 AM12/4/17