How TestNG works

Srinivas Aditya

Aug 28, 2015, 10:29:32 AM8/28/15
to testng-users
Hi

I am pretty new to testng and junit. I am learning these tools as part of the dev ops initiative in my organization. I would like to know how testng works .

1) There are two things in testng. One is the testng jar file and the other is the testng software package which comes as a .zip file. What is the difference between the two. I assume the zip package is the software that you download from Eclipse / Help/Install new software.and it gets integrated with Eclipse. Does the zip package include the testng jar file as well?

Regards
Srinivas

Hubert Grzeskowiak

Aug 31, 2015, 10:04:14 AM8/31/15
to testng-users
Hi.

The JAR is what you need to write and run your tests. However, it's hard to do without proper IDE integration, which is why there's Plugins for all IDEs. The Plugin adds a new view for running tests and a few new menu entries, .e.g. "run
class as testng test". Instead of downloading the Plugin yourself, however, I'd suggest you use Eclipse's builtin plugin management tool to download and install it. This way you get automatic updates and a version that is compatible with your Eclipse version for sure.

Cheers
Hubert Grzeskowiak