Best way to write and save test specs?

icewariya swaminathan

Aug 20, 2015, 7:30:41 PM8/20/15
to testng-users
I am using testng for writing tests and was wondering which would be the best way to save test specs other than excel sheets. Wouldn't it be better if we could have it in the same place as tests?

Krishnan Mahadevan

Aug 20, 2015, 11:17:17 PM8/20/15
to testng...@googlegroups.com
Can you please elaborate as to how is this question related to TestNG ?
It would be good if you could please help to keep this forum relevant and post queries that are ONLY related to TestNG.

I believe your query is more of a testing practice question that a TestNG related question.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 5:00 AM, icewariya swaminathan <icewariya....@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using testng for writing tests and was wondering which would be the best way to save test specs other than excel sheets. Wouldn't it be better if we could have it in the same place as tests?

icewariya swaminathan

Aug 21, 2015, 2:38:21 AM8/21/15
to testng-users
I understand all questions in this forum must be relevant to testng but I don't think it's fair to expect all the questions to be straight forward. I am sure this forum would encourage any kind of discussion related to enhancements which can be done to testng. My question was specific to testng related solutions.
I wanted to know if testng itself provides a way to tie a test case to its test spec. Even if it doesn't is there a way I can enhance testng to do that? Or are there any testng plugins which already does that. Any ideas/suggestions?

Krishnan Mahadevan

Aug 21, 2015, 3:09:47 AM8/21/15
to testng...@googlegroups.com
I hear you. But I only agree with you partially in terms of "its not fair to expect all questions to be straight forward queries related to TestNG" because the moment we start getting side-lined with questions that are in no way directly related to TestNG, we are in-fact opening up the forum for a plethora of queries that may in-fact add noise in this forum and thus make it a bit more difficult for TestNG enthusiasts/users etc., to search for answers in this forum for their TestNG specific queries.

TestNG by itself doesn't associate itself with any test case management systems/approaches etc., at-least that is my understanding.

So expecting a solution that is built on TestNG to solve a particular problem, in a forum that is related to only TestNG and its uses, IMO kind of sounds a bit off.

To answer to your question :

>>>I wanted to know if testng itself provides a way to tie a test case to its test spec.
To the best of my knowledge, NO, TestNG doesn't provide any way in which you can tie a test case to its test spec.

That IMO, would be the job of a test case management system that supports test runners such as TestNG.

With respect to any testng plugins, again, I don't think there are any that is provided out of the box by TestNG. Googling for it would be a good start IMO.

You can try looking at cucumber-jvm for writing your test-specs and then try and map them to TestNG tests.

PS : I have never tried doing any of this, nor do I possess any SME knowledge in any of this, so your mileage may vary.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan