Re: Problem with ViewerDebugging with tesseract 3.02.02

zdenko podobny

Nov 16, 2012, 3:36:51 PM11/16/12
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:05 AM, Linda Li <codingpo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Version: tesseract 3.02.02
Ubuntu 12.04, Eclipse Juno

I am trying to use ViewerDebugging.
Following the instructions in http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/ViewerDebugging

I installed javac
download piccolo-1.2.jar, piccolox-1.2.jar, and make ScrollView.jar

Then I use export to set the SCROLLVIEW_PATH, e.g. export SCROLLVIEW_PATH=/home/tesseract-ocr-3.02.02/java

edit svutil.cpp to remove the ">/dev/null 2>&1" from the cmd_template string.
When I run:
java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=$SCROLLVIEW_PATH -cp $SCROLLVIEW_PATH/ScrollView.jar:$SCROLLVIEW_PATH/piccolo-1.2.jar:$SCROLLVIEW_PATH/piccolox-1.2.jar com.google.scrollview.ScrollView
I see
Socket started on port 8461.

Now I am ready. I run:
tesseract phototest.tif test1 segdemo inter

Now the tesseract debugging window pops out.
In the terminal window, it says:
ScrollView: Waiting for server..

I can see nothing in the tesseract debugging window.

Can you post screenshot where is visible console with messages +  tesseract debugging window?

How can I solve the problem?
Did you tried unmodified source?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Actually yesterday I tried to post the same message on tesseract-dev, but not succeed.
If it happens to appear on tesseract-dev at some point of later time, sorry for that. I just do not want to wait for too long; eager to know the answer : )
If somebody tells me we need to wait for that long, I apologize for that and will wait later on.

Zdenko Podobný

Nov 18, 2012, 12:14:18 PM11/18/12
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Did you compile tesseract by yourself? If yes, did you use standard
compilation process(autotools)? What kind of options you used? Can you
send me config.log? Or did you used version from your distribution?
Do you have only one installation of tesseract in your system?

--
Zdenko

On 18.11.2012 01:19, Linda Li wrote:
> Here are some more details
>

> (1)
> Use the original svutill.cpp (not remove ">/dev/null 2>&1" )
> export SCROLLVIEW_PATH
> then run:
> tesseract temp.jpg output segdemo inter
>
> The terminal ouput is:
> ----------------------------
> Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.02.02 with Leptonica
> ScrollView: Waiting for server...
> ScrollView: Waiting for server...
> ----------------------------
>
> The viewerdebugging window pops out, but with no segmentation picture in it.
> see the attachment.
>
> I use Ctrl+C to terminate the procedure.
> I use quit of the icon of the ViewerDebugging window to close the window.
>
> I run the command on terminal:
> java -Xms512m -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=$SCROLLVIEW_PATH -cp
> $SCROLLVIEW_PATH/ScrollView.jar:$SCROLLVIEW_PATH/piccolo-1.2.jar:$SCROLLVIEW_PATH/piccolox-1.2.jar
> com.google.scrollview.ScrollView
> The output is:
> ----------------------------
> java.net.BindException: Address already in use
> at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
> at
> java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.bind(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:353)
> at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:336)
> at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:202)
> at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:114)
> at com.google.scrollview.ScrollView.main(ScrollView.java:397)
> ----------------------------
>
> Now if I try to input the command "tesseract temp.jpg output segdemo inter"
> again, the window will not pop out any more.
>
> I log out, then log in.
>
> (2)
> Now I have logged in again.
> export SCROLLVIEW_PATH=/home/tesseract-ocr-3.02.02/java
>
> Now following the troubleshooting instruction I remove ">/dev/null 2>&1" in
> the svutill.cpp file.
> It would be like below.
> ----------------------------
> const char* cmd_template = "-c \"trap 'kill %1' 0 1 2 ; java "
> "-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -Djava.library.path=%s -cp %s/ScrollView.jar:"
> "%s/piccolo-1.2.jar:%s/piccolox-1.2.jar"
> " com.google.scrollview.ScrollView"
> " & wait\"";
> ----------------------------
>
> The output in the terminal window is:
> ----------------------------
> Tesseract Open Source OCR Engine v3.02.02 with Leptonica
> ScrollView: Waiting for server...
> ----------------------------
>
> The viewerdebugging window pops out, but with no segmentation picture in it.
> Same as the one in (1) (in attachment)
>
> (3)
> Have no idea what is wrong. Thanks in advance.

raakeshvara rao

Feb 1, 2013, 5:30:17 AM2/1/13
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, zde...@gmail.com
Me too have same problem.
The ScrollView works only once. Once I close it , it does not work anymore.

On Sunday, November 18, 2012 11:06:37 PM UTC+5:30, Linda Li wrote:
>> Or did you used version from your distribution?
I follow the instruction in http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/wiki/Compiling
The version is 3.02.02

>> Do you have only one installation of tesseract in your system?

Before that I installed 3.01.

In the terminal, I confirmed that it is the new 3.02.02 working
$ tesseract --version
tesseract 3.02.02
 leptonica-1.69
  libgif 4.1.6 : libjpeg 8b : libpng 1.2.46 : libtiff 3.9.5 : zlib 1.2.3.4

>> What kind of options you used?
Sorry I do not understand what option you referred to.

>> Can you send me config.log?
It is attached.  (It seems when I tried to attach it, there was error with the server)

Thanks for your help.

raakeshvara rao

Feb 2, 2013, 12:32:20 AM2/2/13
to tesser...@googlegroups.com, zde...@gmail.com
If I kill java manually from the processes, I can relaunch scrollview though.