Emoticons?

SRguy

May 22, 2015, 2:24:31 AM5/22/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Might Tesseracts be trained to recognize emoticons, such as the new iPhone ones?
Thanks.

Allistair C

May 22, 2015, 2:51:33 AM5/22/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Use opencv pattern matching

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 May 2015, at 02:35, SRguy <sander...@gmail.com> wrote:

Might Tesseracts be trained to recognize emoticons, such as the new iPhone ones?
Thanks.

SRguy

May 23, 2015, 4:17:43 AM5/23/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Isn't that a library for video processing? I'm a little confused...

Allistair

May 23, 2015, 4:49:03 AM5/23/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
OpenCV is a computer vision library. It has advanced features for computer vision in general.

If you think about it, a frame of a video is just an image.

So no, it does not need to be used for video, it can be used on static images also.

Cheers

On 23 May 2015 at 09:17, SRguy <sander...@gmail.com> wrote:
Isn't that a library for video processing? I'm a little confused...

SRguy

May 23, 2015, 12:21:18 PM5/23/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
That is FASCINATING, but since the emoticons to which I'm referring are already represented in Unicode wouldn't I just train T. in the conventional manner (for which I was hoping there were already files available )?

Allistair

May 23, 2015, 12:43:50 PM5/23/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
When you train tesseract you provide it with loads and loads of text in the font/language of your choice. It then turns this into outlines effectively that it can match to incoming images with text.

Now I am not 100% sure but I am quite certain that if you attempted to train Tesseract with a bunch of emoticons in TIF files (needed for training) it would not be able to break them down into shapes that give you the matching you're looking for. Best case it would see every emoticon as a circle shape and they'd all look the same to Tesseract.

This is just my guess from what I know.

Cheers