Automatic Video Stream Analysis using Tesseract

joshyjosh...@gmail.com

May 21, 2017, 9:19:43 AM5/21/17
to tesseract-ocr

Hello,

I have integrated the Tesseract OCR capability in an Augmented Reality software application (Unity3D|C#) where an Android tablet recognizes a product's serial-number upon taking a picture of it.

Now, I would like to "automate" this process, so that the user would not have to zoom the device's cam on the serial-number and press a button to take a photo, etc... but instead just hover the tablet on the product until Tesseract has recognized the serial-number's text.

In other words, I would like Tesseract to analyze the incoming video stream and perform recognition constantly on all frames until the text is recognized.

Of course, initially I had no idea if this would be possible, so as a first solution, I wrote a program to emulate the "photo-button-press" + "text-string-recognition" processes and repeat then every 1 second.

The performance is OK and the whole thing gets the job done, but I still wonder if Tesseract might be able to work on a live stream of video coming in through a tablet's cam and perform OCR on the incoming frames...

Joshua

Zdenko Podobný

May 21, 2017, 9:28:57 AM5/21/17
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
IMO it was one first example app I saw (several years ago):

Also I saw app (on youtube) that do OCR+translation:

...so it should be possible.

Zdenko

Zdenko Podobný

May 21, 2017, 9:34:26 AM5/21/17