Been able to create tessdata from a text and a font, but can I do it from an image?

Ernesto Borio

Feb 15, 2018, 3:03:20 AM2/15/18
to tesseract-ocr
I used jTessBoxEditor to create tessdata for a text and a font file.
It works pretty well.
But as I need to OCR photos of printed labels, the font is very similar to the one used in the labels, but I guess it would be better to directly train tesseract with the label letters themselves.
It's actually only digits, so I only need 10 symbols, I can cut them and prepare a TIF training file by hand, but jTessBoxEditor doesn't seem to accept that, it only generates a TIFF from text and a font.
Is this possible to do with tesseract?

or jTessBoxEditor? (I know this is not part of tesseract, but maybe some of you use it?)

Thanks!

ShreeDevi Kumar

Feb 15, 2018, 3:09:51 AM2/15/18
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Depends on what version of tesseract you are using.

tesseract can be used to make box files which work well with 3.0x. Training with images is not supported for 4.0alpha.

ShreeDevi