Improve electric meter

Niklas Schütrumpf

Aug 28, 2016, 3:06:59 PM8/28/16
to tesseract-ocr
Good evening everyone,
I currently trying to programmatically build a raspberry pi automatically reads our electricity meter.
Unfortunately tesseract ocr cant read the digits properly.
I have tried to improve the image with imagemagick and PIL.

Hopefully somebody can help me, to improve the image(s).

My current Code:

available components:
  • Python 3
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Debain 8 packages
raw_example.jpg
tessdata.zip

Ashish Goel

Aug 30, 2016, 12:18:14 AM8/30/16
to tesseract-ocr
Can you be specific on what kind of image processing did you do using imagemagick?
Is this you original image? What image goes to tesseract?
If this is your original image, then I would have to at least rotate, crop and resize this image to localize it to the meter reading area of the image.

If you have done that, then share your processed image so that someone can suggest improvements.

Ashish