Can tesseract read shiny metal surfaces?

Mark Greally

Jul 21, 2016, 10:41:43 AM7/21/16
to tesseract-ocr
Hi.

I have just started using tesseract and have successfully read printed text on paper. However I want to be able to read from a shiny surface. In the image below I have tilted the camera to reduce the reflection and glare and gives the best contrast.

Is it possible for tesseract to read such images?

Thanks,

Mark.

Allistair

Jul 21, 2016, 10:58:27 AM7/21/16
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Tesseract doesn't care about whether things are metal or plastic or cotton, it tries to turn whatever image it is given into text via a pipeline of rules and shape classifiers for text. It succeeds when the text is distinct enough from the background so that it can do that job, and I suspect you will struggle a lot with this image unless you do some preprocessing.

I worked on a project using Tesseract for scanning airplane decals and we had a preprocessing pipeline consisting of gaussian blurring, adaptive thresholding and more.

You might look into background removal as a preprocessing stage for this kind of image to give Tesseract a better chance of seeing just the text:

Cheers