Editing the github wiki

Nick White

Nov 9, 2015, 11:10:14 AM11/9/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I just tried to add a page to the github wiki. I expected to be able
to push it to my local fork and then do a pull request, but github
doesn't seem to support that for wikis, as far as I can tell.

Presuming they prefer everybody to just commit to the same
repository, please can someone add me to the list of people who has
write access to that? My username on github is 'nickjwhite'.

I'm writing this on the public mailing list mainly in case I am
misunderstanding how github wikis are supposed to be used.

Thanks,

Nick

Tom Morris

Nov 9, 2015, 3:46:05 PM11/9/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Does your workflow require using git or can you make your edits through the web interface?  Do you have the Edit & New Page buttons available to you on the wiki pages?  (I do and I'm pretty sure I don't have write privileges to the project).

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think there are separate permissions for pushing to the wiki repo and the main repo.  By default wikis are editable by everyone, although you can restrict them to only collaborators with push privileges, but I don't think that necessarily means that anyone can push to the wiki repo.

Tom

Nick White

Nov 11, 2015, 1:16:52 PM11/11/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tom,

On Mon, Nov 09, 2015 at 03:46:04PM -0500, Tom Morris wrote:
> Does your workflow require using git or can you make your edits through the web
> interface? Do you have the Edit & New Page buttons available to you on the
> wiki pages? (I do and I'm pretty sure I don't have write privileges to the
> project).

No, my workflow doesn't require using git. I would rather, because
it's nicer to use my editor of choice, and stay in my shell, but I
can write things and copy them into a web form if that's what I have
to do (which it sounds like it is).

I do have the Edit & New Page buttons available. I'll copy the new
page I wrote over using the web interface soon.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Nick

Nick White

Nov 13, 2015, 5:52:54 AM11/13/15
to tesser...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 06:16:28PM +0000, Nick White wrote:
> I do have the Edit & New Page buttons available. I'll copy the new
> page I wrote over using the web interface soon.

OK, I have used the web interface and successfully copied the page
and changes across to the main wiki.

Nick