Wi-Max by Augere gets delayed, Wi-tribe moves ahead

Mudassar

Mar 27, 2009, 6:02:08 AM3/27/09
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
According to sources, Augere Pakistan has been refrained by the
international court located in Singapore from starting WiMax
operations in Pakistan. Sources close to Augere have confirmed that
Telecard’s litigation with Wi-Tribe (previously Burraq Telecom) has
resulted in a decision which goes in the favor of later.
This litigation has created a much tensed environment within Augere
and as a result of recent proceedings in the international court
senior management is no more interested in future operations of the
company. When called at company’s office, it was revealed that few
decision makers including the CEO has left the company and the post is
lying vacant.

The restraining order against Telecard was first issued on February 19
2008 by a local court at the instance of Wi-Tribe Limited, which
claimed to have entered a joint venture agreement with Telecard.
In its petition, Wi-Tribe Limited had claimed that it had executed a
joint venture with Telecard Limited under which Telecard was required
to apply for the splitting of its 14 licences into a total
of 28 licenses, out of which 14 would have been then transferred to a
Telecard subsidiary for eventual transfer to Wi-Tribe Limited.

According to the scheme agreed between Telecard and Wi-Tribe, Telecard
was to have the licenses split in such a manner that 14 of the 28
newly issued licences would have assigned to Telecard the 3.5 GHZ band
frequencies only. These 14 licenses were then to be transferred to
Telecard subsidiary Broadband Services (Pvt) Limited, 90 percent of
which would have then been bought by Burraq Telecom Limited and Wi-
Tribe Limited.

The value of the licenses was agreed at US $22.5 million, which would
have been paid by Broadband Services Limited to Telecard as the sale
price of licenses.

Wi-tribe officially avoided to give details on the recent decision but
sources at the company confirmed that legally Augere can not start its
business as Telecard has not executed the joint venture conditions
fully. Telecard must have deceived Augere as well at the time of
agreement by not disclosing them the exact details of the venture
between Telecard and Wi-tribe.

Mudassar Jehangir
www.apnatime.com

Syed Naveed Ahmed

Mar 28, 2009, 5:28:09 AM3/28/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
When TCL had already sold the spectrum to WiTribe, why they resold again to Augere just because a higher price was on the table. Thats no fair!! What would happen to so many employees of Augere who were recently hired and were actually, most of them, old employees of Supernet and Telecard who are extreme loyal to the Arfeens.

Pakistan Zindabad.

tariq qureshi

Mar 28, 2009, 9:25:43 PM3/28/09
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
As former GM- WLL Division of Wateen and was later VP-Commercial (P&S)
at PTCL I am exceptionally familiar with the terms of the WLL licenses
issued in 2Q-2004, and all players in telecom market. I am back in US
and consulting with companies and regulators in other countries and
Pakistan/ Bangladesh/ Malaysia regulatory models are excellent
learnings. Here are solutions for PTA and Witribe and Augere. PTA's
objective is to open the market, and Witribe/Augere objective is to
launch services.

1. There is provision in WLL licenses of 'use-it-or-loose it" .
Stipulated period to go into operations was 2 years--- later extended
to 12/07. All who didn't start operations and can be send cancellation
notices to make spectrum available for the serious players (like
Augere and Witribe).
3. I talked to quite a few of the license holders and their desire was
to get a refund in USD for the amount paid. The smart ones sold off
their companies at 10X-20X. just like Telecard is trying to do, or
what DVCom, Dancom and others did.

Augere & Witribe need 21+21MHz FDD or 42MHz TDD to have a commercially
feasible network. The following companies are not utilizing the
allocated spectrum:
4. PTCL, Worldcall, Cybernet are amongst the few, and should surrender
the spectrum and get refunded.
5. PTA will be able to recover the 2.5G spectrum from SunTV that was
allocated for MMDS as the 15-year license should be expiring in 2010.
The 190MHz license was issued can be used by 6 separate operation.
6.PTA should skip 3G licensing and go to 4G for LTE with 10MHz like
the rest of the world.. Within 12-18 months mergers will leave 3-4
operators.

Solutions are there, provided each party deals in good-faith!
Regards

On Mar 28, 5:28 am, Syed Naveed Ahmed <syed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When TCL had already sold the spectrum to WiTribe, why they resold again to
> Augere just because a higher price was on the table. Thats no fair!! What
> would happen to so many employees of Augere who were recently hired and were
> actually, most of them, old employees of Supernet and Telecard who are
> extreme loyal to the Arfeens.
>
> Pakistan Zindabad.

Haris Shamsi

Mar 29, 2009, 6:38:12 AM3/29/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Thanks tariq sb for such a wonderful round up of the situation.
--
Sent from my mobile device

Shahzad Alam

Mar 29, 2009, 9:53:23 AM3/29/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Dear Tariq sb,

Thanks. Lot of things have swept to a state where below suggestions are very difficult to get aligned.

Regards
Shahzad

Shahzad Alam

Mar 29, 2009, 9:55:17 AM3/29/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Nothing is confirm yet. We should avoid to behave like "GEO".

-SA

Rehan Jafry

Mar 30, 2009, 1:36:14 AM3/30/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com
Shahzad bhai,

                       I think we all need to be more patriotic and focus on nationalism. After all it is our PAKISTAN rising in the telco world.

Best Regards,
Rehan Jafry

Murtaza Hussain

Mar 30, 2009, 2:05:52 AM3/30/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Tariq for these solutions & futuristic views!

I do understand your points but CYBERNET is already using their license for their WiMAX services, though very limited but focusing only to corporate at the moment. May be I am wrong but as far as I know, PTCL has deployed 1 WiMAX base station at each region of their license and current doing ATP. Not sure what Worldcall is doing, any updates?

Regards/Murtaza Hussain

Tariq J Qureshi (TQ)

Mar 30, 2009, 3:10:04 PM3/30/09
to Telecom Grid Pakistan
Murtaza,

Sorry.... as i said, my info may be outdated, if Cybernet is already
using the spectrum, then obviously PTA cannot enforce the terms of the
license.
Right now, what is needed is a out of the box solution and not
politics.

Regards
Tariq Qureshi (TQ)

On Mar 30, 2:05 am, Murtaza Hussain <murtazahma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tariq for these solutions & futuristic views!
>
> I do understand your points but CYBERNET is already using their license for
> their WiMAX services, though very limited but focusing only to corporate at
> the moment. May be I am wrong but as far as I know, PTCL has deployed 1
> WiMAX base station at each region of their license and current doing ATP.
> Not sure what Worldcall is doing, any updates?
>
> Regards/Murtaza Hussain

Murtaza Hussain

Mar 31, 2009, 12:22:18 AM3/31/09
to telecom-gr...@googlegroups.com

What about Fascom? I believe they also have WLL license, not sure what they are doing?