Accessibility in the News- September 29, 2017

Jack McElaney

Sep 29, 2017, 1:48:35 AM9/29/17
to tech...@googlegroups.com

Accessibility in the News- September 29, 2017

“I wish for a world that views disability, mental or physical, not as a hindrance but as unique attributes that can be seen as powerful assets if given the right opportunities” — Oliver Sacks

National News (U.S.)

AT&T Experience More Campaign Update

New videos highlighting Erich Manser and Michael Hingson have been posted to http://ExperienceMore.att.com. Check them out then head to Instagram and Twitter to share how you Experience More using the hashtag #ExperienceMore and you may receive some swag!

Exclusive update for this e-news list – you’re the first to know, Emmitt Smith, Dallas Cowboys and NFL Legend, will be taking over the AT&T’s Instagram story this Sunday. Go behind-the-scenes with Emmitt as he highlights the AT&T Experience More campaign with Aira!

1.     ICANCONNECT delivers accessibility to emergency services- September 22, 2017 Source: KUAM.com

Imagine needing to call 911, but not being able to access a cell phone because of the inability to see and hear. That problem has affected thousands of individuals across the nation, leading to a new program in Guam that helps residents access the technology needed to effectively communicate with loved ones and first responders. Free technology and free training to help individuals with hearing and vision loss effectively communicate with those around them...that's the basis of the federally funded ICANCONNECT program which launched in Guam in July...

2.     People with disabilities want to travel, too- September 22, 2017 Source: Runway Girl Network

There are a number of misconceptions about people with disabilities (PWDs) and their desire for travel, and even their wherewithal to do so. Their value as a target market group is vastly underappreciated, despite the fact that people with disabilities – there are over 60 million individuals – are the largest minority group in the US alone. Open Doors Organization (ODO) is a non-profit organization that compiles statistics about travel, tourism and disability. ODO’s 2015 market study on spending showed that, over a two-year period, more than 26 million Americans with disabilities spent $35 billion. That’s an impressive figure. In fact, the organization notes that the true economic impact looks more like $70 billion over two years, since travelers with disabilities usually bring at least one other person on their trips...

3.     Lurie Institute launches the National Research Center for Parents with Disabilities- September 22, 2017 Source: Brandeis University

In recent decades, people with disabilities have become increasingly integrated into mainstream employment, education, housing and public life in the United States. Among them, a growing number are choosing to become parents, and they encounter a lack of support and increased discrimination when they do so. The Lurie Institute for Disability Policy at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management has identified a scarcity of information about parenting with a disability, both for parents themselves and for advocates, policymakers, health care professionals, family members, legal professionals, child welfare workers, and social workers...

4.     Oscar Loreto made a career as a video editor with no hands- September 22, 2017 Source: Circa

Oscar Loreto will tell you that you don't need fingers to edit videos. "I was in my mother's womb," Loreto told Circa. "And while developing, amniotic bands from the umbilical cord wrapped around my fingers, my hand and my left foot, preventing development." "My friends and I made a bunch of home movies with skateboards," said Loreto. "It's a pretty amazing feat to be able to ride a skateboard and hold a camera at the same time. So once I mastered that, I was like, dude, if I can do that, I can do anything." The California native says he had a hard time breaking into the physically demanding world of production...

5.     Satya Nadella Rewrites Microsoft’s Code- September 18, 2017 Source: Fast Company  & Technology should empower people, be accessible: Nadella- Source: Outlook

Satya Nadella’s corner office, on the fifth floor of Building 34 at Microsoft’s Redmond, Washington, headquarters, features a can’t-miss 84-inch Surface touch-screen computer that dominates one wall. But what demands even more attention are the vast quantities of books in the room. They fill rows of shelves and are piled by the dozen on a long table next to Nadella’s desk. The place looks more like a neighborhood bookshop than the command center for the third-most-valuable company on the planet. “I read a few pages here or a few pages there,” Nadella says, in his typically understated manner. “There are a few books, of course, that you read end-to-end…

6.     Accessibility, a need now- September 24, 2017 Source- E-Learn Magazine

When we think of “Accessibility” we could highlight its concept as the breaking of barriers, comprehensive inclusion, elimination of obstacles and equal opportunities for everyone, without any distinctions such as physical, cognitive, socio-cultural, economic, religious, gender, etc., a condition in which anyone can use or enjoy any service or product. However, focusing on Accessibility in the area of education means thinking about the creation of new formats and contents that contribute to developing an inclusive education, which puts an end to the barriers of learning, while encouraging participation of students with hearing, visual, cognitive, speech and/or motor skills impairments...

7.     Postmortem: Greater accessibility through audio in Killer Instinct- September 25, 2017 Source: Gamasutra

One of the main audio goals for our fighting game reboot Killer Instinct (KI) was player feedback.  We wanted to make sure that someone knew exactly what was going on at any given time using audio alone. In fact, one of the main directives I gave from a sound design standpoint was to make sure each character/game mode was identifiable enough that someone would be able to tell what was going on even if they weren’t in the same room that the game was being played in. This came down to iconic sound design and a clean mix. These became the primary filters that everything else poured through.  They became the lens through which we approached all things audio. These priorities shone a light on something far more important and totally unexpected: accessibility through audio for people with low to zero vision acuity...

8.     University addresses campus accessibility- September 25, 2017 Source: Daily Illini

As one of the most disability-friendly campuses in the country, the University is working on bettering the accessible infrastructures through the Americans with Disabilities Act Transition Plan Supplement. The draft was released in April, following a self-evaluation of primary University sidewalks and building entrances, according to Steve Breitwieser, manager of communication and external relationships from Facilities and Services. “Approximately 400 deficiencies were identified on University property, mainly regarding sidewalk and ramp conditions,” Breitwieser said in an email. Such deficiencies did not go unnoticed by the students...

9.     Hiking With Dad: A Daughter Helps Her Father Explore the Accessibility of the East Bay Parks- September 25, 2017 Source: Bay Nature

As soon as my phone rang, I knew something was wrong. It was a Friday afternoon and I was sitting in my office at the newspaper where I worked in Seattle. My mother was calling, and I knew she wouldn’t bother me while I was at work unless she had a serious reason. Sure enough, my father had had a stroke. I told my boss I needed to go home and would be back the following week. I had no idea that I wouldn’t return. When I arrived at Alta Bates Summit Medical Center in Berkeley the next day, a stone-faced neurologist told me that my father had a totally blocked carotid artery that was preventing vital blood flow to his brain, that another stroke was possible—perhaps imminent—and that nothing could be done. The next few days were a whirlwind of doctors, nurses, social workers, anxiety, and spontaneous sobbing...

10.            Watching Hamilton With Hearing Difficulties- September 25, 2017 Source: Pacific Standard

I'm nervous as we settle into our seats at the PrivateBank Theatre in Chicago. Hamilton is going to be loud. The tickets were expensive. I'm not sure my kids can stay up this late. But here we are. My son, a 10-year-old non-verbal boy with Down syndrome, has been listening to the soundtrack for well over a year, so we finally bought tickets, despite all the complexities of bringing kids to a big-time, late-night theater show. We have an ace in the hole—a $15 pair of bright green hearing protectors, sized for a kid.  Too often, our choices about accessibility are driven by shame and stigma. We live in an "ableist" society that judges people based on how closely they conform to perceived physical and neurological norms. Walking through the theater in bright green headphones is not "normal." But that simple tool turned a trip to see Hamilton into a magical, joyful experience for all of us…

11.  New Lego-Inspired Electronics Could Make the Field More Accessible and Efficient- September 25, 2017 Source: Futurism

New lego-inspired electronics could make the electronics field more accessible and more efficient at the same time. By redesigning circuits such that matching parts have matching shapes, the researchers realized that even visually-impaired people can construct their own computer(s). As satirically demonstrated by Derek Zoolander with his minuscule cell phone, a lot of technological advancements are emerging in tiny packages. And, while this is not always the case, when technologies are downsized, there exists a host of logistical issues. One such difficulty is in aligning and piecing together tiny electrical components. This level of accuracy and precision can be impossible for human hands and even difficult for robot digits…

12.            #AdaptAndResist: More Than 200 Protesters Demand Senators Reject Graham-Cassidy- September 25, 2017 Source: Common Dreams

More than 200 members of the disability rights group ADAPT forced lawmakers to delay their hearing on the latest Republican attempt to repeal the Affordable Care Act on Monday. Protesters started lining up outside the hearing room in the Dirksen Senate Office Building at 6:00am; the hearing was not scheduled to begin until 2:00pm. The national organization tweeted throughout the morning as protesters waited for the hearing to begin. Demonstrators had traveled from all over the country to demand that senators vote against the bill, which would end cost-sharing subsidies that make healthcare premiums affordable for lower-income Americans, and cut federal funds for states that expanded Medicaid under the ACA...

13.            BartOnline launches ADA approved website- September 26, 2017 Source: Great Bend Tribune

A new version of Barton Community College’s “BartOnline.org” website was created with the Americans with Disabilities Act in mind. The site, which is more accessible for people with vision impairments, is scheduled to launch Wednesday. The website it replaces may not seem to pose much of an obstacle, but a lot of thought went into the changes, said Brandon Steinert, Barton’s public relations director. Everything from back-end code to the choice of colors can make a difference. People who are blind or have visual impairments may use assistive technology when they use computers and access the internet. Some use screen readers, devices that speak the text that would normally appear on a monitor. But a screen reader cannot interpret a piece of artwork. That can create a barrier to someone trying to navigate a page…

14.            DESIGNING FOR DISABILITIES: HOW PARSONS'S OPEN STYLE LAB IS HELPING TO MAKE FASHION ACCESSIBLE- September 27, 2017 Source: Fashionista

Emily Ladau is what many 26-year-old women living in New York City aspire to be like: She's acutely attuned to the ebb and flow of fashion trends, she's a social media influencer who's been featured in the New York Times and is booked for speaking engagements regularly. Plus, she hosts her own podcast, the side hustle of choice for today's trendiest millennials.  But Ladau does it all in a wheelchair. She was born with Larsen syndrome, a joint and muscle disorder that, amongst various impediments, prevents her elbows from extending fully so that she struggles to pull on a t-shirt and has to do a "shimmy shake" ("one butt cheek at a time," she describes) in order to put on buttonless pants. This fall, she is participating as a model in Parsons's Open Style Lab (OSL), a unique nonprofit organization incubated in the famous fashion school that's dedicated to developing clothing for people of all abilities…

15.            Feds, Hidalgo County reach settlement on accessibility for voters with disabilities- September 27, 2017 Source: Monitor

ccess to polls for voters with disabilities is expected to improve thanks to a settlement that was reached between the U.S. Attorney’s Office and Hidalgo County, U.S. Attorney Abe Martinez announced in a news release on Wednesday. At the center of the settlement was Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits state or local governments to discriminate on the basis of disability. This extends to programs and services, including voting. Referring to the right to vote as “the cornerstone of our democracy,” Martinez said in the release that the agreement will ensure equal opportunities for voters “with mobility disabilities and vision impairments” to cast their ballots at their assigned polling locations...

16.            Text-only news sites are slowly making a comeback. Here's why- September 27, 2017 Source- Poynter

A few days before Hurricane Irma hit South Florida, I received a query on Twitter from a graphic designer named Eric Bailey. “Has anyone researched news sites capability to provide low-bandwidth communication of critical info during crisis situations?” he asked. The question was timely — two days later, CNN announced that they created a text-only version of their site with no ads or videos. The same week, NPR began promoting its text-only site, text.npr.org on social media as a way for people with limited Internet connectivity during Hurricane Irma to receive updated information. These text-only sites — which used to be more popular in the early days of the Internet, when networks were slower and bandwidth was at a premium – are incredibly useful, and not just during natural disasters. They’re also beneficial for people with visual impairments who use screen readers to navigate the Internet…

17.            Three Surprisingly Simple Ways to Rethink Accessibility- September 26, 2017 Source: Impark

When you think of accessible parking, what do you see? You’re likely envisioning something like the image above: extra-wide spaces that prominently display the international accessibility icon, with a wheelchair-friendly, sloped curb nearby. But in 2017, maybe it’s time to expand our understanding of what makes parking “accessible.” How, for example, do traditional handicap parking spaces serve patients who experience chronic dizziness? What can chemotherapy patients do when, in the throes of treatment-induced fatigue, they are forced to walk back to their vehicle parked a mile away? Here are three simple ways to rethink parking and transportation accessibility at your hospital...

18.            Hundreds of accessible parking permits confiscated after misuse in CNY- September 27, 2017 Source: CNYcentral.com

A crackdown in Onondaga County led to the confiscation of hundreds of accessible parking permits after being misused. The accessible parking permits were abused and misused by people taking advantage of those who really needed them, deputies said; people like Sally Johnston. "It's something I know that exists because I live it everyday of my life. I see that abuse every day," Johnston said. Johnston is an Advocacy Coordinator with Access CNY, and uses a motorized wheelchair to get around. She sees people misusing accessible parking passes all over town, including the grocery story and various shopping centers...

19.            Web Communications Team Tackles Accessibility Design Issues- September 27, 2017 Source: DePaul University

DePaul’s recent website accessibility enhancements are helping to ensure that web content is accessible to a wide range of people with visual impairments and other disabilities, including blindness, photosensitivity and deafness. The enhancements comply with industry standards set by the World Wide Web Consortium’s web content accessibility guidelines, known as WCAG, or more specifically, WCAG 2.0. EMM’s Web Communications department—responsible for top-level depaul.edu site design and navigation, graphic and branding standards, and content management—has made modifications to 78 websites and 19,689 webpages, since the improvement process began in spring 2016. The department has been working with the Office of the General Counsel and the Center for Students with Disabilities as part of a university web accessibility taskforce...

20.            Is wheelchair accessible seating at Williams-Brice truly inclusive?- September 28, 2017 Source: WISTV

Just because seating is wheelchair accessible, is it truly inclusive? That’s the question one couple is raising after their Facebook post garnered thousands of views in just a couple days. “I wanted to bring up the motto ‘no limits,’” said Sophie Keyes. “And here we are, a student who pays tuition, living here, who is limited.” Sophie is referring to her boyfriend, Michal Hoge, who was paralyzed in a swimming accident in the summer of 2015 after his freshman year at the University of South Carolina. He hadn’t been to a South Carolina football game since his freshman year before he was injured. That was until Sept. 16 when he was given two tickets on the 50-yard line for the home opener against Kentucky...

21.            The new Uber wheelchair accessibility plan is not enough- September 28, 2017 Source: New York Daily News & Crain's New York Business & Amsterdam News

It was not until I was forced to rely on a wheelchair, back in 2011, that I understood just how burdensome it can be to get around this city. In that same year, Uber began its operations and has ever since been insulting New York City wheelchair users by refusing to provide accessible vehicles. Now the city's Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) is proposing a plan that it claims would require Uber and other ridesharing companies to start offering accessible rides. It is not nearly good enough. What I remember most vividly about that difficult time in my life six years ago is the shock and frustration when I realized many elevators in subway stations were broken, public entrances with ramps were impossible to find, mechanical lifts in public buses weren't fully functional, and only a limited number of wheelchair-accessible cabs roamed our city's streets...

22.            The World's Biggest Adult Site Gives Blind Users an Upgrade- September 28, 2017 Source: Wired

Accessing the Web presents unique challenges for the blind and visually impaired. Text-to-speech programs can be unreliable. Too many developers don’t follow best practices for navigating sites without visual cues. Destinations that lean heavily on images can prove inscrutable. They don’t have to, though. And Pornhub, the largest adult site on the web, is taking steps toward making its wares available even for those who can’t easily see it. One doesn’t necessarily associate porn sites with conscientious site design. But Pornhub has a recent history of doing just that. Earlier this year, it implemented HTTPS encryption, making it safer to peruse its highly sensitive content. And last year, Pornhub took another major step toward accessibility by introducing a “Described Video” category, in which videos include a scripted voiceover that describes each scene in extensive detail...

23.            The Complicated Quest To Redesign Braille- September 28, 2017 Source: Fast Company

According to the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), just 1% of the blind population is born without sight; the vast majority of the estimated 10 million Americans who are blind or visually impaired lost their vision later in life. In 1987, Andrew Chepaitis’s grandmother became part of that statistic: She started to lose her vision due to macular degeneration. It was this experience that would lead Chepaitis, 13 years later, to found ELIA Life Technology, a company that wants to mass-produce an easy-to-learn tactile reading system based on the Roman alphabet.

24.            Jefferson project provides more accessibility to church, school- September 28, 2017 Source: Catholic Herald

“It’s like heaven now taking my mother to church.” A bold statement, but fully expressive of the joy some parishioners are feeling in Jefferson. The above quote was feedback heard at St. John the Baptist Church, part of St. Francis of Assisi Parish. It came near the close of a yearlong project to make the church more accessible to people with disabilities or other physical challenges to walk or enter buildings. Now, there is added accessibility to the church and school. Steve Donley, member of the parish Building and Grounds Committee, said there had been growing instances of “people having trouble getting into church.”...

25.            Michigan State University's Wharton Center to implement sensory-friendly theater performances- September 28, 2017 Source: The State News

Michigan State University's Wharton Center for Performing Arts will introduce new sensory-friendly performances this season for viewers with autism spectrum disorder and other sensitivity issues. People on the autism spectrum have a wide range of symptoms; the neurological disorder affects the way people communicate, learn, and interact with others, among several other essential sensory functions. Bob Hoffman, Wharton Center public relations manager, said that while the center’s goal is to reach out and engage with communities, they have been excluding many people that have sensory ailments. “I think there was a large population of people that really felt uncomfortable maybe coming to the theater because there weren’t these accommodations for them,” Hoffman said...

26.            Pasadena group helps people with disabilities find jobs- September 28, 2017 Source: Pasadena Weekly

Twenty-eight years ago, just before passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the city hired Robert Gorski as its first Accessibility Coordinator. At that point, Pasadena, like so many other cities, had essentially ignored the plight of disabled people and offered little access for those in wheelchairs. During his time in Pasadena, Gorski — who was left in a wheelchair after a childhood bout with polio — made the city more accessible for disabled people by leading the city to install curb ramps, accessible parking spaces, improved crosswalk controls, assistive listening systems and equal opportunity for employment. His work paid off and in 2005 Pasadena was recognized by the National Council on Disabilities for becoming one of the most accessible cities in the nation...

27.            Department of Interior investigating ADA complaint in Clyde- September 28, 2017 Source: Port Clinton News Herald

The Department of Interior's Civil Rights Division has asked the city to address park accessibility issues raised in an American with Disabilities Act complaint filed by residents John and Jan Brewer. In a Sept. 19 letter, the department asked City Manager Paul Fiser to address the alleged ADA violations and provide a timeline for fixing possible deficiencies by Oct. 31. Concerns raised by the Brewers included multiple inclusion issues involving parking and ADA accessibility at Gus Wolf Park, Limerick Park, Community Park's upper and lower levels, Hurd Park's trail, Hendricks Park and the Anderson Depot Plaza. The Brewers provided 31 examples to the Interior Department of ADA-related access issues...

Jack Fact There are currently 56.7 million – or nearly one in five Americans – who live with some form of disability. One third of the total U.S. workforce are also beginning to experience age-related disabilities — “a group that may number 115 million by 2020.” U.S. Census Bureau

International News

1.     'I feel like a second-class citizen': readers on navigating cities with a disability- September 22, 2017 Source: The Guardian- UK

Sandwich boards on pavements, a crowd of smokers blocking the disabled entrance, bins or vans parked over lowered pavement edges, disabled toilets being used as performers’ changing rooms or storage, ‘accessible ramps’ being far too steep or only available on request, scaffolding on both sides of the street, pushchairs filled with shopping in the wheelchair space on the bus, the housekeeping trolley left in the lift – you get the picture!” One Guardian Cities reader painted a vivid picture of what it’s like to navigate a city in a wheelchair. Following our report on Chester, Europe’s most accessible city, we asked readers with a disability to share their experiences of accessing cities, good and bad…

2.     Banks encouraged to keep services accessible for people with blindness and low vision- September 22, 2017 Source: Bendigo Advertiser- Australia

The introduction of a new tactile $10 note has been welcomed by people with low vision, but they say the banking sector needs to keep in mind other ways to keep services accessible. Vision Australia’s general manager of advocacy and engagement, Karen Knight, said tactile currency had given people with a vision impairment more confidence and security when using cash, as they were able to more easily identify notes. But she said the use of such technology as touchscreens posed a challenge for people with low vision and blindness...

3.     A disability need not be a barrier to business success- September 22, 2017 Source: Telegraph- UK

Ross Linnett was not diagnosed with dyslexia until he was  22-years-old, which was a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. He thought that he might be dyslexic when he was at school, but his teacher replied that he must not be trying hard enough. Mr Linnett always wanted his own business, and he was encouraged to learn that successful entrepreneurs, such as Sir Richard Branson and Lord Sugar, also had dyslexia. His business idea came from the frustration of using assistive technologies designed to help with tasks such as reading and writing. While helpful, they were only usable on the particular devices that had them installed. To solve the problem, he started Recite Me, a cloud-based web accessibility tool that works across all devices...

4.     Opening doors for physically challenged- September 23, 2017 Source: BC Local News- Canada

An advisory committee of Lake Country district council wants to raise awareness of access challenges facing local residents with physical disabilities. The access and age-friendly committee recently conducted a series of site visits to better understand the concerns and issues brought to its attention by community members who have physical disabilities. "Unfortunately, a lot of the time people don't think about these things unless it impacts them directly or a family member or someone close to them," said Marie Molloy, a member of the access and age-friendly committee…

5.     Wearable assistive technology will hit the runway at Invictus showcase- September 24, 2017 Source: Toronto Star- Canada

Electronic glasses for the visually impaired — including people who haven’t been able to see their entire lives — will be among the 48 exhibits at this week’s Accessibility Innovation Showcase, an official event of the 2017 Invictus Games. The free, two-day showcase begins Monday and will feature new tech designed for people living with disabilities. Some products will also hit the runway at the showcase’s wearable technology fashion show at 10:45 a.m. Monday. Companies were selected based in part on how their product helps increase the user’s independence, said Morris Milner, a doctor of biomedical engineering and a professor emeritus at the University of Toronto...

6.     A campus of hurdles- Three student perspectives on accessibility issues at U of T- September 25, 2017 Source: Varsity- Canada

The University of Toronto remains inaccessible to its students in a number of ways. Comment contributors reflect on access to campus spaces, note-taking through Accessibility Services, and the need for comprehensive and detail-oriented accommodation. Considering the number of laptops you see in any given class at U of T, you’d think that finding a note-taker would be pretty easy. This is false. I am 17 credits into my degree and, at my personal estimate, about 60 per cent of my courses have had note-takers. That means the other 40 per cent of the time, if I’ve had to miss class for disability-related reasons, I am without notes. Certain professors agree to send their personal lecture notes to make up for the gap, which I am very grateful for, but often I am left with nothing...

7.     Prominent Durga Pujas in Kolkata inaccessible to disabled: NGO- September 25, 2017 Source: Daijiworld- India

A city-based NGO on Monday said that over 70 per cent big banner Durga Pujas here have failed to provide adequate equipment and accessibility for the disabled which goes against the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act passed in 2016. Claiming that the puja organisers were mostly reluctant to provide infrastructure like wheelchair and ramp inside the marquees for the convenience of the disabled, the organisation said there was a lack of sensitivity for the disabled. "Though some of the pandals (marquees) have been disabled-friendly, 71 per cent of the big banner pujas in Kolkata are falling behind in providing adequate equipment and a common pandal-going experience for all. There has been a prominent discrimination against the disabled persons," a release from the Civilian Welfare Foundation said...

8.     Kerala State Central library soon to be accessible to visually impaired- September 25, 2017 Source: Deccan Chronicle- India

Thiruvananthapuram: The 188-year-old Kerala State Central Library, one of the oldest book houses in the country will soon have a separate wing for visually challenged bibliophiles. An exclusive 'Braille wing' will be opened soon adjacent to the main library building, located in the heart of the state capital, as part of the authorities' plans to make the 19th century institution differently-abled friendly. Popularly known as 'Trivandrum Public Library,' the heritage structure, housing one of the finest collections of rare titles starting from 16th century, was established in the year 1829. According to authorities, steps are already on to convert a room of the three-storey new building, being set up in front of the heritage Gothic style main structure, into the Braille wing...

9.     Accessible India Campaign: Centre raps State for delays- September 26, 2017 Source: The Hindu- India

Following a strong reminder from the Centre, the State government has decided to accelerate the implementation of the Accessible India Campaign, a Central scheme to make all State structures disabled-friendly. Senior State government officers issued a warning to all departments on Monday, asking them to identify 50 most important buildings in the State and and making them accessible to persons with disabilities. Maharashtra been lagging in parameters set by the Centre for the national scheme, under which an audit has been done of 1,662 of 1,707 structures in 50 cities across the country. The State is falling short in making transport systems accessible for the physically challenged…

10.            Let's ensure contraceptive accessibility for people with special needs- September 26, 2017 Source: New Vision- Uganda

Men in Buhasaba subcounty always wanted to engage Mary in sexual practices and that’s why her grandparent decided to opt for family planning, what caught my attention is that the health workers at the facility had no skills in sign language to help them know the family planning choice that Mary would want and they applied the choice they felt, am not sure whether she even knew she they had even inserted an implant to her for family planning. Despite having a national policy on disability and the Persons with Disabilities Act, many women in Uganda with disabilities face many barriers in accessing reproductive health services including contraception...

11.            Web accessibility for universal access to information and SDGs- September 26, 2017 Source: Global Accessibility News- Bangladesh

UNESCO has announced 28th of September as the ‘International Day for Universal Access to Information’ (IDUAI) adopting a resolution on 17 November 2015. By declaring the day, in keeping with Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) target 16.10, WSIS, relevant initiatives of UNESCO, etc., it hoped for more countries with access to information legislation, diversity in the cyberspace, and integration of women and men with disabilities. people with vision disabilities accessing websitesAccess to information is getting tempo as a human right, has great prospects if supported by advanced Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs). Though some limiting laws (security and anti-terrorism mainly) are still perplexing in many countries, a better policy environment is evident in recent years in more than 100 countries in relation to adopting freedom of and/or access to information laws…

12.            Ontario Taking Steps to Increase Employment for People with Disabilities- September 27, 2017 Source: Government of Ontario News- Canada

Ontario has established a new Employers' Partnership Table to advise the government on innovative ways to connect more people with disabilities to jobs and businesses to talent. Tracy MacCharles, Minister Responsible for Accessibility, was in Toronto today to make the announcement at the Accessibility Innovation Showcase Employer Forum.  The Employers' Partnership Table supports an important pillar of Access Talent: Ontario's Employment Strategy for People with Disabilities by engaging employers as champions of inclusion in the workplace. The expert advice supplied by members will move the strategy forward, helping to increase employment opportunities for people with disabilities across diverse economic sectors and regions...

13.            Toronto continues to 'lag behind' on making city accessible, councillor says- September 27, 2017 Source: 680 News- Canada

As hundreds of athletes with disabilities compete in the Invictus Games this week in Toronto, a push is on to make the city’s businesses more accessible. Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam, chair of the Accessibility Advisory Committee, introduced a motion Wednesday asking the city to consider grants for business owners to retrofit their entrances to make them accessible. The motion also suggests the city look into guidelines to allow private ramps on public sidewalks. “We’ve struggled with accessibility in our city for the past 20 or 30 years,” said committee member Mike Layton...

14.            City Hall – “I've heard it's really pretty”- September 27, 2017 Source: Fernie Free Press- Canada

Of the 113 businesses in Fernie’s downtown core, 48 are not accessible to physically disabled persons. This includes individuals who are elderly or wheelchair bound. Twenty-one-year-old Grace Brulotte was born in Fernie with a rare condition known as Arthrogryposis. This condition has caused her to be wheelchair-bound since the age of four, as the condition stiffens her joints, giving them only a few degrees of flexibility. It also decreases muscle tone and removes muscle memory. She describes the wheelchair accessibility in Fernie like ‘living in the 60s’...

15.            Blind people need €45 a week extra for basic standard of living- September 27, 2017 Source: Irish Times- Ireland

Blind people need an additional €45 a week just to enjoy a minimum standard of living, according to new research which for the first time quantifies the additional cost of living with sight impairment. Health, communications and household service costs account for most of the 18 per cent gap in the costs incurred by a person with impaired vision and those with full sight. A blind person needs almost €286 a week to be able to afford the additional goods and services for a minimum acceptable level of living, according to the research published today by the National Council for the Blind of Ireland (NCBI) and the Vincentian Partnership for Social Justice...

16.            Disability benefits: top 10 tips for managing your money- September 28, 2017 Source: Disability Horizons- UK

Two years ago I was diagnosed with severe rheumatoid arthritis. Since then I have been unable to work. Before I became ill, I was very lucky. I loved my job, made a good living, and I was used to being paid bi-weekly. I started working when I was just 15, and have always been good at saving money, which means I had always been financially independent – up until my diagnosis. I originally worked in the banking and finance industry, where I stayed for more than 15 years. When the economy took a downturn, I decided to change career to something more stable...

17.            Nightclubs need to be way more accessible for disabled clubbers- September 28, 2017 Source: Mixmag- UK

This summer, I made a clubbing pilgrimage to the White Isle, Amnesia my final port of call. Ticket in hand, I joined the throng – only to find the door shut in my face unless I paid double. My crime? I use a wheelchair and need a carer to help me on nights out. At some clubs, the fact that I need a qualified carer with me to help me transfer to the toilet, navigate stairs and – perhaps most importantly – reach the bar to order drinks – is a burden I must, literally, pay the price for. Disability and clubbing, it seems, still causes trouble in paradise. Amnesia have since apologised, saying that, where possible, “full details” of carers should be given in advance. For spontaneous visits, Amnesia requires “some type of ID proving the position of the carer”. Given that such ID is not standard practice, it remains unclear what exactly would be accepted…

18.            Tech is helping the blind to see- September 28, 2017 Source: Wired- UK

As soon as Robin Spinks picks up the phone, he tells me to stop speaking. In the silence, he connects his wireless AirPod headphones to his iPhone for the first time. So far, nothing unusual. But Spinks, who has a visual impairment, has trouble seeing. The use of technology by the blind and visually impaired has been a mess of clunky software and chunky hardware. Screen readers, which read everything on a webpage including URLs and date stamps: "Tech is helping the blind to see twenty eight september two thousand and seventeen w w w dot w i r e d dot c o m f o r w a r d s l a s h...", have become a necessary evil. But, finally, assistance technology is catching up. Artificial intelligence is powering rapid developments in computer vision and voice recognition, taking much-needed accessibility features mainstream. In doing so, people with disabilities are able to achieve more. For Spinks, a digital accessibility manager at the Royal National Institute Of Blind People (RNIB), that means "tremendous liberation"…

19.            Many products aid accessibility in home- September 28, 2017 Source: The News- Canada

According to the latest information about the nation’s population, by 2031, almost one in four Canadians could be 65 or older. The 2016 census from Statistics Canada, released in May, noted that new census numbers show seniors now outnumber children for the first time in the survey's history. And because the number of senior citizens is increasing, the need for items to assist with daily living is also growing. “Most definitely this year the trend is a big increase in people looking for products to allow them to stay at home,” said Travis Gunn, director of home health care for Lawtons...

Accessibility Blogs & Information

·         Accessibility at trivago

·         There is no yellow wire

·         Make activism accessible

·         WCAG Usability Survey

·         Accessibility for Everyone

·         Creating Accessible Videos

·         Userjourney Accessibility Design

·         Driving a taxi is not a ‘legal’ right

·         Meet the W3C AB London - Oct 2017

·         Accessibility Toolkit for Facebook Live

·         A11Y Talks September 2017- Scott O'Hara (Video)

·         ADA Accessibility, a Must for All Websites?

·         European mobility week: “a spirit of optimism”

·         The National Organization on Disability (NOD)

·         The Accessibility Imperative in K-12 Education

·         6 Ways To Make A Video Accessible To Everyone

·         Accessibility - The Curb Cut Effect - Extra Credits (Video)

·         Accessibility and Overwatch (inspired by Capicada)

·         University of Pittsburgh invites input for master plan

·         Essay on Accessibility Inequalities Resonates With Others

·         Impact of New Accessibility Standards on Authoring Tools

·         Map shows less than 1/4 of NYC subway stations are accessible

·         Augmentative and Alternative Communication in Emergencies (PDF)

·         The future of accessible travel: the EuTravel Project perspective

·         Microsoft Seeing AI: A Quick First Look at this Groundbreaking iOS App

·         Findings from TERMINALFOUR's 2017 Global Higher Education Survey

Accessibility Training

·         PEAT- Implementing Accessibility

·         Microsoft- Accessibility video training

·         Certificate for Online Design and Instruction Starts October 2

·         Accessibility Compliance 101 Webinar Series- October 16, 2017

·         W3C Invites Implementations of Core Accessibility API Mappings 1.1

·         The Paciello Group Inclusive Design 24 (#ID24)-Thursday, November 16, 2017

·         Accessibility for the Disabled: Is Your Website a Lawsuit Risk?- October 17, 2017

·         Your Website, Your Way — The Power, Flexibility and Accessibility of WordPress

·         Word and PDF Accessibility- California State University, Northridge- October classes

·         Mobile Screenreader Testing Registration- Penn State- October 27, 2017 1:30-3:30 PM

·         University of Tennessee Knoxville- Office of Information Technology (OIT) Workshops

·         Accessibility A-Ha: Lessons You Can Implement Now- University of Colorado Boulder- 10/6/2017

·         Recipe for success: Baking accessibility into your digital materials- Kent State University- October 21, 2017

·         University of Illinois Accessible Information Technology Group (AITG) online digital badging courses in the area of IT Accessibility

·         New Horizons Village and Cigna will be hosting a Wellness Festival that will be held on Saturday, October 7th from 11:00am to 2:00pm.

·         United States Access Board- Looking Ahead – “Frontier Accessibility Issues” (Webinar)- Thursday, December 07, 2017, 02:30am - 04:00pm

Accessibility Conferences

·         Boston Accessibility Conference- Cambridge, MA

Date: October 7, 2017

·         New Horizons Village and Cigna Wellness Festival

Date: Saturday, October 7, 2017 Time: 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Eastern

·         Future Accessibility & Assistive Technology Summit- Dubai, UAE

Date: October 8-9, 2017

·         The Pacific Rim Conference On Disability And Diversity- Honolulu, Hawaii

Date: Monday, October 9, 2017 to Wednesday, October 11, 2017

·         Baltimore-DC Accessibility Bootcamp- Linthicum, MD

Date: October 10-11, 2017

·         Accessibility Camp Bay Area- San Francisco, CA

Date: October 21, 2017 Time: 9:30 AM-4:30 PM

·         The 2017 ICT Accessibility Testing Symposium: Automated & Manual Testing, WCAG 2.1, and Beyond- Washington D.C.

Date: October 26-27, 2017

·         Dyslexia Society of Connecticut Annual Conference- The Water's Edge Inn and Resort; Westbrook, CT

Date: October 27, 2017

·         Universal Design for Learning in Higher Education Conference- Nashville, Tennessee

Date: October 30-31, 2017

·         ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and Accessibility- Baltimore, Maryland

Date: October 30-November 1, 2017

·         2017 World Usability Day- University of Connecticut

Date: November 9, 2017 Time: 8:00 am. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern

·         Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference- Westminster, Colorado

Date: November 13-17, 2017

·         Assistive Technology Conference  of New England- Warwick, RI

Date: November 30-December 1, 2017

·         International Day of People with Disability

Date: December 3, 2017

·         Digital Summit Dallas, TX

Date: December 5-6, 2017

·         Web Accessibility Training- Logan, Utah

Date: December 5-6, 2017

·         33rd CSUN Assistive Technology Conference, San Diego CA

Date: March 19-March 23, 2018

·         Accessibility and Inclusion- CIES 2018- Mexico City, Mexico

Date: March 25-29, 2018

·         M-Enabling Summit- Washington, D.C.

Date:  June 11-13, 2018

Accessibility Job Opportunities

·         Higher Ed Jobs

·         Digital A11y Jobs

·         National Industries for the Blind

·         National Disability Rights Network

·         UX Manager- Best Buy

·         Accessibility Testing- Cognizant

·         Accessibility Analyst- Collabera

·         Tallinn, Estonia Accessibility- Upwork

·         Software Tester – HS- Kaiser Permanente

·         Accessibility Tester- NTT DATA Services

·         Test Design & Execution Support- ENCLIPSE

·         IT Accessibility Consultant- Syracuse University

·         Accessibility implementation to our website- Upwork

·         Testing Specialist- Visionary Integration Professionals

·         Office of Accessibility Coordinator- Lourdes University

·         Equity and Accessibility Operations Coordinator- Virginia Tech

·         Accessibility QA and/or Web Developers- Unison Systems, Inc.

·         Accessibility Tester and/or Web Developer- Unison Systems, Inc.

·         Instructional Designer - Professional Learning- Michigan Virtual

·         Digital Information Accessibility Coordinator- University of Michigan

·         Accessibility Coordinator- Civil Rights Office at the Texas Health and Human Services Commission

·         Manager IV (Director of Distribution and Accessibility)- Instructional Materials Division at the Texas Education Agency

Accessibility Pages

·         Ubisoft

·         Salem College

·         Capital BlueCross

·         University of Windsor

·         University of Delaware

·         University of Washington

·         Michigan State University

·         Coastway Community Bank

·         Oregon Trail School District

·         Oracle's Accessibility Program

·         Boulder Valley School District

·         University of California, Berkeley

·         National Organization on Disability

·         Sunshine Village Ski & Snowboard Resort

·         Freer and Sackler Galleries - Smithsonian Institution

·         Rothermere American Institute- University of Oxford

·         Accessibility features for Watson Platform for Health GxP

Accessibility Announcements & Products

·         YMCA Installs New ADA Ramp (Video)

·         Handicap Access on CMU's Campus

·         Morgenroth reelected to SSTAC post

·         Pa.'s LANTA hosts seeing eye dog training

·         The Hottest New Trend On Mobile – PWA

·         New tool calculates city transit accessibility

·         iBIONICS Participates in Invictus Games Showcase

·         Amazon Alexa In-car Integration In BMW and MINI

·         FCC- Chrysler Accessible User Interfaces Waiver Order

·         Accessibility Checker is a brand new feature of CKEditor

·         STEMscopes Update Improves Accessibility, Adds Games

·         Houston Family In Need’s Home Transformed By TLG Gives

·         Hartford accessibility equipment company acquires Tolland firm

·         Accessing ability: Spencer ADA Council offering practical advice

·         Rebuild of Oak Forest Park to include accessibility for disabled children

·         'Noah's Place' project to give children with disabilities an accessible park

·         Hanoi builds accessibility information website for persons with disabilities

·         Moodle Partner ‘Ally’ Recognized For Efforts In Automated Accessibility

·         Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17004 for PC (Skip Ahead)

·         Disabled residents feel ‘forgotten’ with nine stations in Redbridge inaccessible

·         Maximum Ames Music Festival returns with fully accessible honors, Vestal tribute

·         Members of the Employers' Partnership Table- Accessibility Directorate of Ontario

·         Hyderabad Airport becomes the first airport in the country to provide a wheelchair lift

·         OBIO Member Companies Featured at Invictus Games' Accessibility Innovation Showcase

·         $99,000 from federal government for retrofit of Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives elevators

·         Sorry USA, but everyone else gets to watch 'Star Trek: Discovery' with Klingon subtitles on Netflix

·         Vision-Aid announces Chieko Asakawa as keynote speaker for the 2017 Boston Accessibility Conference

·         Urban Economic Development Association of Wisconsin to explore building economic, social inclusion with disability community

·         NEWARK STUDENTS ENJOY INCREASED ACCESSIBILITY WITH DEBUT OF NEW WHEELCHAIR LIFT SERVICE AT JFK SCHOOL

Accessibility Q&A & Tips

·         Android Accessibility

·         Dropdown accessibility

·         Accessibility Extension Objects

·         Mercy's Rework and Accessibility

·         Free Tools for Evaluating Web Sites

·         10 Resources for Usability Facilitators

·         Keyboard shortcuts on the Coalition site

·         Accessibility of Atlantica Oak Island Resort

·         Core Accessibility API Mappings test results

·         Secret iOS 11 features you’re probably not using

·         Accessible tool reviewing Firefox accessibility tree

·         MasterSlider Accessibility for Screen Reader Users

·         Apple Switch Control and Accessibility Keyboard Guide

·         Password confirm element generates accessibility-failure markup

·         Apple launches the iPhone X: Accessibility features known so far

·         Amazon Fire TV's OS 5.2.6 lets you use voice dictation when the keyboard is open

·         Inadequate Information Regarding Handicapped Accessibility- Review of Biltmore Estate

Jack McElaney | VP of Sales & Marketing

P: 512-794-8440 Ext. 207 | E: jmce...@microassist.com

Microassist | LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook

If you know someone that would benefit from Accessibility in the News please forward this email to them. If you have missed past issues of Accessibility in the News please see all previous issues at Digital Accessibility Digest.

MicroAssist, Inc.; 8500 Shoal Creek Blvd, Suite 4-225, Austin, TX 78757-7591, Phone: (512) 794-8440 Fax: (512) 794-8742

http://www.microassist.com