Windows 10 Deployments

Sue Way

Jun 1, 2016, 4:31:50 PM6/1/16
to Techies for schools
HI Everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you have done a full Windows 10 deployment.

If you have had any issues and what they might be.

Have you had issues with Domain group policy's applying?

I am again considering it for the 2017 NZ School year.

We have tested all our applications and they all work OK but the slow loading of profiles and the Start menu breaking were my major concerns.The start menu issue seems to have been fixed in one of the patches.

Thanks in advance for your comments and feedback.

Regards

Sue Way | IT Services Director

Wellington Girls' College Pipitea Street, Thorndon, Wellington 6011 |

Kevin Whelan

Jun 1, 2016, 6:26:55 PM6/1/16
to Techies for schools
start menu has been good for me since the nov v1511 update
profiles are still terrible slow, disable the welcome screen hides the messages but it still takes just as long for each new user,if students can reuse the same machines each day makes a big difference because it has cached their logon

Yvette Ireton

Jun 1, 2016, 6:36:39 PM6/1/16
to techies-for-schools
We have deployed Windows 10 and have had the same experience as Kevin - we encourage students to use the same machine which makes login very quick..  We initially tried roaming profiles but that was extremely unreliable on Windows 10.  We have very few issues now.

Network Manager
Golden Bay High School
12 Waitapu Road, Takaka 7110
Ph:  03 525 9914
http://www.gbh.school.nz

Nathan Mercer

Jun 1, 2016, 7:07:01 PM6/1/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

In the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update launching shortly - we will have a new logon style called Shared Cart Configuration that can be up to 7 times faster than today - with an average first log-in of 26 seconds and subsequent log-ins of 6 seconds (even on the lowest cost Windows 10 devices like HP Stream etc)

Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/04/14/new-innovations-for-the-classroom-with-the-windows-10-anniversary-update

It would be much better to not use roaming profiles and instead implement UE-V and/or Enterprise State Roaming (AAD-based). (User Experience Virtualization is baked into Windows Anniversary Update)

We also just released some new Education specific deployment documentation and videos:

Sharing this new deployment guide to help support schools who want to upgrade multiple devices to Windows 10 before the end of the free upgrade period. This guide shows that upgrading to Windows 10 is as easy as using a USB stick, and gives detailed instructions that can be followed by non-IT users: http://aka.ms/simpleupgrade  Also, check out this site if you haven’t seen it yet: http://aka.ms/edudeploy  This has a set of guidance to help deploy Windows 10 with any level of IT.

Also some new Windows 10 in education deployment videos:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/education.aspx

Title

Description

Discussion: Using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to deploy Windows 10

Learn how to deploy Windows 10 to your students and faculty by using the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). Also learn how to use MDT to create custom images.

Discussion: How to re-provision devices at the end of the school year

Hear about options for year-end re-provisioning in the classroom, school, or district. The video specifically discusses push-button reset and the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.

Discussion: How to automate common deployment and configuration tasks

Learn the importance of deployment automation. In addition, learn ways you can automate deployment and configuration of Windows 10 in the classroom, school, and district.

Discussion: How to deploy a custom Start menu layout

Schools commonly want to customize the Start menu shortcuts and layout. Hear how to do this simple customization in this video.

Discussion: How to manage Windows 10 updates and upgrades

Learn about how to manage the Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades. Listen to an introduction to Windows 10 servicing and a description of the tools you can use to manage them.

Discussion: Introducing the Windows Store for Business

Learn more about the Windows Store for Business in this video, including how to acquire and distribute apps to students and faculty.

Matthew Strickland

Jun 1, 2016, 7:14:37 PM6/1/16
to Techies for schools
Windows 10 1151 deployed on every machine that's suitable for it. (older hardware on Win7/32Bit)

Folders (desktop/documents/pictures) redirect however I have also enabled roaming profiles as logon's are actually quicker when students use different machines. (profile is limited to 100MB but I usually keep this <30MB)
Disabling office auto-download templates helped here.

I do run a post deployment script to remove most of the Windows 10 provisioned apps (all the bing stuff/food/music/fitness, games, etc) but keep the store and photos.

No issues with GPO applying but 'wait for network' is enabled by default.
Roaming profiles between Win7 and Win10 are separated with the V2 / V5 extension as they are not compatible.

Some pre 1151 machines (v10240) has the corrupt start menu issue that Kevin might be referring to? (click and nothing happens)

Windows 10 usability is on par with Windows 7 for us, I wouldn't say it was superior tho. Login speeds about the same 20/30sec?, but I am using roaming to an extent.

Matt

Kris Bainbridge

Jun 1, 2016, 7:19:32 PM6/1/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Only major problem I've hit is with the new TELA HP 840G3's - haven't been able to find a working WinPE 10 ethernet driver for use with WDS, and from a search it seems to be a common problem. Tried a few of the alternate driver suggestions but no success yet.

J B

Jun 1, 2016, 7:26:52 PM6/1/16
to Techies for schools

There are a few issues, edge is hopelessly broken and offs itself if you have roaming profiles, every so often something deep in a profile breaks leaving you unable to access metro apps like the notification ribbon and more importantly the settings menu.

It seems to handle GPO fine and once a profile has been generated for the newer version is decently quick. It seems to run alright in general sans the stuff above so we are still going ahead.

Scarily the new tela stuff actually comes with the 64bit w10 education version and Office 2016 installed marking the first time they are actually up to date and I have not had to simply wipe their attempt and start again.  Office 2016 is another story, Outlook will only setup via autodiscover so your settings need to be exactly right and Onenote 2016 is far less robust at syncing so far than Onenote 2013 which was rather bulletproof even with the state of N4L when accessing anything other than GAPS.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

Matthew Strickland

Jun 1, 2016, 8:17:52 PM6/1/16
to Techies for schools
Which network card does the 840G3 use?

HPSDM implies for me to use sp74145 which is SSM compliant, (Intel I219LM/V Gigabit Version=12.13.17.7)

[Devices]
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B7="Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_156F="Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-LM"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15B8="Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1570="Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V"

I'm about to order some more 840's and usually inject required drivers beforehand.

Matt

Kris Bainbridge

Jun 1, 2016, 10:30:30 PM6/1/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1570="Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V

Is the card in the machines, and I've got sp74145 sitting here but no luck as yet. Where it fails is when I try to add the driver to the Win 10 PXE boot image - I get the error "the following driver package could not be added to the image". Got about half a dozen different service packs here that various HP support threads have suggested, no luck with any of them, even the HP Win10PE drivers do the same thing.

Kris Bainbridge
ICT Administration
DDI 09 600 5575 Cell 021 122 1843
matipo.school.nz

Sue Way

Jun 2, 2016, 4:26:21 PM6/2/16
to Techies for schools
Awesome thanks everyone for your feedback..

So it looks like a fingers crossed for the next big  Windows 10 anniversary patch then testing.

James McPherson

Jun 2, 2016, 5:51:30 PM6/2/16
to Techies for schools
I have deployed Windows 10 to a couple of schools now with very few issues.  The main ones that I have noted are:

- UNC Hardening is enabled by default in Windows 10 - This can cause issues with GPO's running at startup.  I used the registry fix to exclude the sysvol and netlogon folders on my networks.

- Windows 10 FastBoot. - This is also enabled by default and has caused some issues with computers having very long boot times and thus windows eventually having strange issues.  I disable this during the rollout via a registry change deployed by GPO

- Windows 10 app store - I use the built in AppBlocker policies to block access to the app store for various user groups rather than use a script to delete the programs/apps from each computer.  I feel this is a better way, as I have seen issues with Windows Updates when the apps are removed by script.  Plus if the school decides they want to allow a particular app, it is easier to unblock it rather than figure out how to re-install it.

- Windows 10 File Explorer default start location - By default Windows 10 starts File Explorer on the Quick Access window, i have put in registry entries via GPO to change the default location to the local/network drives page.  This is to help adjust users to Windows 10 easier.

Other than that, i am happy with the rollout and will be doing more and more of them as time goes by.

Matthew Strickland

Jun 8, 2016, 10:23:35 PM6/8/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Kris,

Not sure how you got on but the Win10PE drivers work fine for me from HP... I'm using a Lite Touch boot image.

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I219-V
Provider    = %Intel%
CatalogFile = e1d65x64.cat
DriverVer   = 06/18/2015,12.13.17.4

Directory of WinPE10_1.00\x64_winpe10\network\intel\P00KEKB2\Flat\WIN10-x64
11/07/2015  11:18 AM            19,440 E1D65x64.CAT
19/06/2015  12:54 AM             3,130 e1d65x64.din
11/07/2015  06:11 AM           135,774 E1D65x64.INF
19/06/2015  12:38 AM           530,416 e1d65x64.sys
02/04/2015  07:46 PM            75,288 e1dmsg.dll
19/04/2014  04:17 AM           125,728 nicco4.dll
17/06/2015  04:28 PM            90,608 NicInstD.dll
27/05/2015  05:23 AM           405,488 PROUnstl.exe

=== Processing LiteTouchPE (x64) boot image ===
Building requested boot image profile.
Determining if any changes have been made in the boot image configuration.
Calculating hashes for requested content.
Changes have been made, boot image will be updated.
Windows PE WIM \\deploy\deploy$\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x64.wim will be used.
WIM file mounted.
Set Windows PE system root.
Set Windows PE scratch space.
Injected driver Intel Net E1D65x64.inf 12.12.218.0
Injected driver Intel Net E1D65x64.INF 12.13.17.4
Copying WIM to the deployment share.
=== Completed processing platform x64 ===

Shame the power connector is changed yet again for HP laptops :/

Matt
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to techies-for-schools+unsub...@googlegroups.com.