Short term remote access

Craig Knights

Mar 5, 2015, 5:56:13 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
One of our staff is going on short term parental leave.  He has an accounts program on his windows desktop machine he'd like to use from home..

So...   options..   he could RDP in to our existing RDP server and then RDP to his desktop and run his program, but double RDP'ing is confusing and sometimes slow...

Could install the program on the remote server..  license cost? would having that program on there for all to see be a good idea?

Could enable RDP on his computer, set a static IP address, get the computer an external address, say name.mcglashan.school.nz, just like our RDP server, but overkill for short term access??

Or I find something like TeamViewer but not $870 for a license!!...

any good ideas?

thanks,
Craig

Joel Chandler

Mar 5, 2015, 6:04:46 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Having to recently doing this here. I like this option maybe just give him an IP address instead. Depends how many external in addresses you have.

"Could enable RDP on his computer, set a static IP address, get the computer an external address, say name.mcglashan.school.nz, just like our RDP server, but overkill for short term access??"

Or set up a VPN connection and RDP over that? Keep VPN connection for other solutions?

Joel Chandler
Dean of Teaching and Learning

Emerald Christian College
PO BOX 1993 Emerald Qld 4720
Phone: 07 4982 0977
Fax: 07 4982 0244
Email: off...@ecc.qld.edu.au

Joel Chandler

Mar 5, 2015, 6:05:36 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Or you could try Pertino?

Keith Craig

Mar 5, 2015, 6:08:19 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
VPN is the easiest way to go – set this up on the RDP server. Provided he is using a windows machine to connect to the VPN (had problems with Mac and Linux clients connecting to windows VPN) he can connect to the VPN then RDP to his office computer.

Keith Craig BCom PGDipBus(IS) CNE
Systems Administrator

Alistair Baird

Mar 5, 2015, 6:15:30 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Ah, love this one.... isn't he on leave?? Take leave ! Leave work!!
Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 990 259

Tracy Briscoe

Mar 5, 2015, 7:16:26 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I’ve not used it myself, but RD Gateway may be a solution.

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/12/24/rd-gateway-in-windows-server.aspx

Regards,

Mr Tracy Briscoe

Network Engineer

St Peter's School, Cambridge, Private Bag 884, Cambridge 3450, New Zealand

P +64 7 827 9899 ext 254  l  F +64 7 827 9812

www.stpeters.school.nz

Note: This communication may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the addressee named above. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author. If you have received this message in error, we request you delete the message and notify the sender. Please do not distribute, copy or disclose any information. This e-mail has been scanned for viruses but all liability for viruses or similar in any attachment or message is excluded.

St Peter's School, Cambridge, New Zealand
Telephone: 647 827 9899 Fax: 647 827 9812
Website: www.stpeters.school.nz

trevor storr

Mar 5, 2015, 8:10:28 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Pfsense, openvpn on client machine & client (with some push routes) is able to access the (parts of) LAN.  Either rdp to end point or use the LAN from the client.
--
cheers

Trevor

Trevor Storr
Director of eLearning, CantaNET http://educo.vln.school.nz
Waimate High School
Waimate
New Zealand

Gillian Ellison

Mar 5, 2015, 9:11:37 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I do the same thing on my work PC, it has to be left turned on, but that works fine if I just turn off the monitor.
We have N4L connection at school and they have given us VPN client files to install.
Prior to N4L we had OpenVPN installed on our pfsense box, which worked great.
Set a static IP, enable sharing.
Then from home I connect the VPN software and use Remote Desktop with the static IP address. As long as home connection has good Broadband speeds then no noticeable lags. Our school's fibre made a big difference to usability.

Gill Ellison
0210531505

Craig Knights

Mar 5, 2015, 9:17:30 PM3/5/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
ah, nice we're N4L too..

I'll give them a call.

thanks,
Craig

Gillian Ellison

Mar 6, 2015, 5:14:15 AM3/6/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

The VPN that N4L use is a Cisco Product and goes just fine with Windows 7 PC, not so happy with Windows 8 but I managed to get it going using ShrewSoft VPN client which is free to download.
N4L provides a pcf file that is imported.
Havn't yet got it going with Mac laptops.

Craig Knights

Mar 6, 2015, 5:16:21 AM3/6/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Yes, they emailed me about it. . Will investigate next week.

Thanks,
Craig

Julian Davison

Mar 8, 2015, 11:05:26 PM3/8/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

RD Gateway is a neat technology if you’ve already got a path into an IIS instance.

Otherwise a VPN is nicer and offers a wider array of compatibility. OpenVPN, for example, works beautifully from a variety of platforms and has some quite solid server-end solutions (I like pfSense, but have also deployed OpenVPN on various Linux’ and Windows Server 2008 R2, including through N4L connections)

J,

Note:
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on +64 3 4718232.  In this case please do not act in reliance on this email or any attachments, and destroy all copies of them. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily of Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd.

This e-mail has been scanned by MailMarshal.  Any enquiries should be directed to :---: in...@decision1.co.nz

Ict Manager

Mar 9, 2015, 6:09:42 PM3/9/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
how many external IP addresses do you have? I've heard people having difficulty with the n4l vpn, but you could always NAT through to a VPN set up on your RDP server. Avoid PPTP unless you don't want to keep control of your machine.

The way i used to do it before we got a security device with built in VPN was to set up one of our IP addresses in DNS (vpn.ourschool.nz) then NAT the required ports through to our server, which was running a L2TP VPN. All staff /students could use that later on.

Kevin Whelan

Mar 10, 2015, 5:50:34 PM3/10/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I've put the app on the rdp server which is far safer regarding backup etc anyway than a client workstation, then just publish the  remote app using standard terminal server, you can control who has access,times everything and its all setup user end with a couple of clicks in control panel or you can even publish the remote settings through group policy for domain joined machines and the remote User experience is seemless. Logon details can be saved so it just runs like a local app. Its very client user friendly, I even run Kamar like this for remote access.
Bonus is it then works on ipads ,iphones, MacOS and Android using the standard microsoft remote access app. Teachers love it.