Live Streaming School Events

Sam McNeill

Mar 27, 2015, 3:49:14 AM3/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Evening All,

With the huge event of Maadi Cup going on this week, along with other sports in summer tournament week,I've been noticing the live broadcasts via www.livestream.com showing up e.g.

Has anyone used www.livestream.com themselves? The ability to embed is awesome (we put it on our College Moodle site at http://classes.stac.school.nz and the staff/students loved it - pushed 300Mb/s into the College when our U18 pair won Gold at Maadi today)

From what I've seen it seems you need:

As I said - I'm wondering if anyone has used this or alternatives before? Whilst not cheap, this looks like it has fixed costs and the quality and results from Maadi were outstanding in terms of the video speed / clarity.

The ability to embed into websites/facebook is where the cost comes in - $42/m is a link to their site only, you need to pay $199/m for embedding into your own pages, but that is the critical part. We would look at this for school sports events, major assemblies of the years, prize givings, Old Collegian events, Guest Speakers etc. I can see huge potential.

Would love to hear / know if others have looked at this or comparable services.

Cheers

Sam

CliveF

Sep 21, 2017, 4:44:11 PM9/21/17
to Techies for schools
Hi

I'm working with a school that is looking to stream their assemblies for whanau to watch. I'm aware of ustream.tv and of course YouTube Live & Periscope as platforms to use as well as Sam's post below (but those costs are likely prohibitive).

Can anyone share any other ideas or experiences using these services, please?

Ngā mihi,

Clive

Nick Steenson

Sep 21, 2017, 5:10:55 PM9/21/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have used YouTube live in the past with OBS and a USB video capture card to handle inputs from video cameras. It was a bit janky (our setup, not Youtube Live itself) but it got the job done.

Nick

Nick Steenson
ICT Technician
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
a:Plantation Rd, Wanaka 9305
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Sue Way

Sep 21, 2017, 6:24:09 PM9/21/17
to Techies for schools
HI,

 We have used uStream a few times straight from the camera connected to our WiFi. We used the free service if you are happy to have ads..

Worked OK. A link to the stream can be put somewhere or emailed to interested parties.

Sue Way | IT Services Director

Wellington Girls' College Pipitea Street, Thorndon, Wellington 6011 |