Windows 10 S and Intune For Education

Sam McNeill

May 4, 2017, 12:01:44 AM5/4/17
to Techies for schools

HI All,

AS many of you may be aware, Microsoft had their largest educational event ever in NYC yesterday announcing, amongst other things, Windows 10 S and Intune for Education which will be of major interest to schools I should think.

I've collated most of the official blogs and videos into one single post that you can see here:

https://samuelmcneill.com/2017/05/04/microsofts-may-education-event-overview/

If you don't have time to check the link the interesting thing about Windows 10 S is that it will run a locked down version of Windows that will not allow the installation of Win32 apps, but instead only allow apps from the Windows Store to be installed (sound familiar ..... ?) This means individual apps will be sandboxed to protect the OS and improve battery life.

Win10 S can be installed on everything from affordable devices to the premium including the new Surface Laptop - if you think this is of interest to your schools (perhaps those looking for a replacement to the discontinued Surface 3) be aware that you can boost the Win10 S license to Win10 Pro / Edu at no cost in an educational setting, allowing for the installation of Win32 apps again.

All other info in the blog post above.

Cheers
Sam

Patrick Dunford

May 4, 2017, 1:58:03 AM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I wonder how long it will be before yet another chapter of the default browser saga gets played out in the European courts. LOL.

" Are there any defaults that I cannot change on my Windows 10 S PC?

Yes, Microsoft Edge is the default web browser on Microsoft 10 S. You are able to download another browser that might be available from the Windows Store, but Microsoft Edge will remain the default if, for example, you open an .htm file. Additionally, the default search provider in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer cannot be changed. "

J B

May 4, 2017, 2:28:54 AM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

How do you change the default browser on a chromebook?

May 4, 2017, 4:15:47 AM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I don't think there is any other browser available for a Chromebook. Google doesn't release Chrome OS for any other hardware platform either.

Windows 10 S is not limited to a particular hardware platform, in fact it will be available for a wide range of hardware platforms. Although there isn't a version of Chrome for UWP yet, Google did produce a Chrome app for Windows 8.

Patrick Dunford

May 4, 2017, 4:16:46 AM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Sam McNeill

May 4, 2017, 5:29:59 AM5/4/17
to Techies for schools
Hi Patrick,

You do raise the interesting question in terms of how much the likes of Google / Apple will invest in making their apps available in the Windows Store and this could be a bit of chicken and egg in terms of how much market share Win 10 S gets.

I'd speculate (And be happy to be proven wrong here) that iTunes probably runs on more Windows devices than on MacBooks/iMacs etc, and if Win10 S started to get traction then making it available in the Windows Store probably makes sense right?

Similarly, I'd imagine great apps like Google Earth are predominantly installed on Windows devices and only time will tell at which point Google decide it is / is not in their best interests to release it on the Windows Store for the Win 10 S market.

Taking a more holistic approach - hopefully this results in a positive step forward for schools in that there is:

a) more options for them to consider the best fit for their environment
b) Win 10 S may deliver added value in terms of security, speed and battery life for students/staff

Cheers for the feedback and I should mention - my main motivation to posting here is for those schools on this list that are already using a lot of Windows gear to be aware of new options for management (Intune for Edu) but also alternative configurations such as Win 10 S as they come available so they can choose what/if is the best options for their environments.

Sam

Patrick Dunford

May 4, 2017, 7:46:16 AM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Lots of these things are simply not going to happen in the Store because the apps need APIs and stuff that cannot be put into apps, there has already been a huge stink over Steam's gaming platforms which is why Steam has been putting resources into Linux.

Patrick Dunford

May 4, 2017, 8:05:09 AM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

There's already developing situations where I would have advised our customers to change from a Windows PC to a Mac because Apple does actually care about professional users who have standalone computers and who don't have to pay extra to buy a pro edition of Windows to stop seeing the obnoxious design features that MS has locked into the home edition of Windows.

Kevin Whelan

May 4, 2017, 8:09:17 PM5/4/17
to Techies for schools
I can't see it applying to many High Schools for the same reasons chromebooks don't work in High Schools,
too many apps that require full installation, art ,technology, languages, ICT. We wouldn't have a machine in this school that doesn't have some software that isn't and never will be in the store and I'd expect most HighSchools would be similar.
Even Microsoft admit the store version of office is currently limited to a couple of the usual apps and then only a subset of normal features of those which begs why release and advertise something before it is ready.

I can see the point and in an intermediate or primary where they survive happily on ipads it could work.
We also have often used sites that have totally different experiences on different browsers, there are microsoft sites that even mention they aren't edge compatible

Pete Eaton

May 4, 2017, 8:41:37 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Your rationale for chromebooks not being appropriate are not an NCEA thing or requirements of the subject: they are a requirement of the teachers and a function of the examples of marking moderation we have.  You can absolutely use Chromebooks for all of those subjects, but it requires the teachers to change.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Etheridge

May 4, 2017, 9:34:19 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Standard marketing in the 21st Century. Describe product, set up buttons, see who/how many click on buttons, develop the product if it looks like it will make $

Mike

Kevin Whelan

May 4, 2017, 10:25:43 PM5/4/17
to Techies for schools
really, so chromebooks can do 3d rendering, 2d design,output to laser cutters, printers, do all of the coding languages that the workforce want students to be learning, robotics
even plain old google sketchup is limited on chrome ,same for photoshop or web design, same for music, sibelius on chrome?
datalogging for science?

the list is endless and all we hear from government is the workforce needs students qualified in ICT with coding, 3d apllication and robotics, with the ability to work in groups and think for themselves.
How do you even offer microsoft exams which are another industry standard. Console 8 run on chromeOS?

We are far from a leading ICT school but chromeOS wouldn't last 24hrs here and its unreasonable to force all teachers to change/relearn just to even try to prove a point
You only have to see the IT standard that students come into yr7-8 with from Ipad driven schools
there isn't a teacher here who hasn't commented on the general dumbing down of student IT knowledge in recent years
they have to be taught simple file folder management among a multitude of things and we are writing off most of term 1 getting them to a useable level with their own BYOD devices

Craig Knights

May 4, 2017, 10:34:09 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
In the last few years, we have students who don't know how to use a physical keyboard.  They use caps-lock rather than shift for a single capital.  One even asked, do I push down on the keys?  They use phones and iPads, never real computers.

ta
Craig

Sam McNeill

May 4, 2017, 10:40:18 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
HI Craig,

In my old job at STAC I witnessed the "caps lock as a shift button" more times than I cared to remember! Quite frightening.....

Julian Davison

May 4, 2017, 10:56:38 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The hilarity in coming full circle to where incoming students don't know thing like how to use a keyboard is hopefully not lost on those creating the standards by which we measure our 'digital literacy' (if that's still the current buzzterm). When I was coming through High school no one knew how to use a computer (as in screen, keyboard, optionally a mouse). Our devices are getting 'smarter' which is encouraging people to lose touch again. Which is, ultimately, fine if the only thing you're ever going to use is an iOS or Android device, but a bit unfortunate if you have to deal with complex things like files and storage.

Simon Wright

May 4, 2017, 11:01:03 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Oh yes, happens here too as well as not knowing how to use Tab (or Shift+Tab) rather than using the mouse to click on a textbox/field.

Its something that just irritates me to the core and i have suggested several times (inside school) that Computing/IT/whatever needs to be compulsory for Juniors (at least). It needs to be a back to basics understanding of what a computer is, how it functions, using operating systems, file systems and file management, keyboard skills, file formats, images and understanding size vs resolutions, productivity apps (office, etc..). Its endless, and more than enough to fill two years.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Sam McNeill

May 4, 2017, 11:07:58 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
To be fair, the low levels of computer literacy amongst some students speaks to the absolute GENIUS of UI designers working across all platforms right? They've managed to simplify the interfaces so that literally a 2yr old can use some of them ... that;s super impressive.

Sadly, it does nothing to help prepare those end users to be smart enough to create similar interfaces/OS later in life ....

I recall hearing Francis Valentine (who created the Mindlab by Unitec) share how a mum came up to her with her 16yr old son and introduced him to Francis saying he wanted to become a computer game developer. Francis asked the boy "are you still studying maths?" and he replied "no way, that's really boring". Not deterred, Francis asked him "ok, what about Physics?" to which the boy replied "no! That's way too hard!"

Therein lies the challenge right - most of us are awesome consumers, but to be creators of this content there are skills required that are hard, require perseverance, and a follow through on some of the traditional "boring/hard" subjects through to Yr13 and well beyond to be able to have the skills to create these awesome tools we all enjoy.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Julian Davison

May 4, 2017, 11:18:35 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
With no disrespect to the UI designers who have done truly remarkable work, whenever people talk about intuitive/simple/easy interfaces I am reminded of stories (which my own children have shown me to be true) of the 2 year old who could happily navigate the XBox interface to make their favourite music play. The understood a full 0% of what the interface said, or meant, but knew the pathway through it to achieve the desired goal.

Compare the instant gratification available from an interface that doesn't require any understanding or particular effort to the dedication and hard-work that's required to learn how it achieves what it does ... well, then you end up with the 16yr old meeting with Francis.

I claim this is a failing of teaching in general, where the focus is on the pathway, not the underlying theory, which leads to people insisting graphic design requires Adobe products.

Mike Etheridge

May 4, 2017, 11:22:32 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Well said. Right on. Will rush down right now and buy you a beer. Which, since you are not here, I will have to drink myself.

Mike

Julian Davison

May 4, 2017, 11:24:19 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
So long as you don't expect me to drink alone, you'll have to buy yourself one too.

Mike Etheridge

May 4, 2017, 11:25:08 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Well, yes

Pete Eaton

May 4, 2017, 11:41:40 PM5/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to get into an argument: I just wanted to add some balance.  My background is Software and Electrical Engineering: the 'industry' you talk about.  All of those generic skills are possible to be taught on a Chromebook.  We should not be thinking that we are teaching students to use particular software (that in the case of say year 11s) may not exist 7 years later when they enter the workforce after tertiary study.
Each school has different requirements: a Chromebook, iPad, MacBook, Surface Pro, laptop... or pen and paper may be appropriate for your school whether it be High School or otherwise and we should avoid making sweeping statements as an ICT profession and give better, more balanced advice than we have (as a generalisation) provided to education to date.  ICT in schools should represent progression to the future, enabling new tasks and not looking at what we value input current or past working lives.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone

Patrick Dunford

May 5, 2017, 5:16:27 AM5/5/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Oh, but the school I work with now expects to dump their computer suites and have Chromebooks for everything. They will find some way they don't need full application installs on a desktop OS.

Alistair Baird

May 5, 2017, 9:19:19 AM5/5/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I have to laugh as I recently decided to respond to a radio ad for Otago Uni, offering recognition of prior learning and industry experience toward gaining a degree. Upon them reviewing my CV, they commented that I was lacking programming skills.

The thing is I spent my 5th form holidays writing my own program[me] in the then new computer language called BASIC, working out the logic using matrices. After writing by hand, I then had to mark up all the punch cards (look like lotto play cards) to input it into the only computer in the school, the Apple II, as it was quicker than typing. I then had to save it on cassette tape after the 30 mins it took to feed into the computer card reader, then print out the listing to debug......

A few years later after some tertiary qualification  I then moved on to fixing typesetters, where I could type out the "quick brown fox...." in under 20 seconds to test the photographic font discs. But it took me about 30 seconds to type my name! I used to watch the career typesetters type, inserting the whitespace and kernning commands on the fly... my how technology has moved on.

I have a Commodore 64 still in working condition in my garage.... sadly it only has 64k memory.

I never learned to type properly, but I did learn how to spell, full words, not txt spk or TLA's that now dominate the industry...

The industry and technology moves way too fast for any Ministry to keep up with, and I have never seen typing skills, Word Perfect, MSword, GDocs, DOS, CP/M, Windows, OS x, C++, Fortran, Xenix, Unix, Linux, PHP, SQL, HTML, XML, Javascript, ChromeOS, IOS, Perl, Excel, bash, cscript, ever specified in any curriculum document, yet somehow I have coped....

We need to inspire passion, for that is the key driver. The way you get there and how you get there will change from year to year. So long as the lemming is prepared to step asside and think and seek for themselves will they become a pioneer. There will be failures along the way, but learning from them is what stands you apart.

Love how Friday evenings go off topic....

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Patrick Dunford

May 6, 2017, 5:52:41 AM5/6/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Goodness me did punch card readers exist for Apple ][ ?

The only one I remember seeing was on the university's PDP-11, where we wrote our programs on coding forms and debugged them on dumb terminals with primitive editing commands.