ChromebookRepairs

Dave Young

Mar 7, 2018, 4:23:04 PM3/7/18
to Techies for schools
What's your repair strategy/thoughts for Chromebooks out of warranty?
Anyone do repairs themselves?  Any recommended repairers beyond a cracked screen?
Places to get parts?  Testing?

When do you write them off

Dave

Nick Steenson

Mar 7, 2018, 4:26:03 PM3/7/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I've had a few cracked screens here and there on the 11e's and one N22, both were easy to repair and I sourced the screens from the US for ~NZD$60 each (far less than a replacement). I found that (with Lenovo at least) out of warranty/physical repairs cost more than the chromebook is worth so if you don't do it yourself, don't do it at all.

Nick

Nick Steenson
IT Manager
Mt Aspiring College
p:+643 443 0463 (Ext 830)
w:https://nick.mtaspiring.school.nz/
e:stee...@mtaspiring.school.nz

Pete Eaton

Mar 7, 2018, 4:58:41 PM3/7/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I do these in house at a couple of schools.  Pretty much all Chromebooks use the same panels, which you normally get for $50ea from ebay.  Take about 10mins to do based on the model.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone

Pete Mundy

Mar 7, 2018, 5:48:15 PM3/7/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I've used this outfit to get replacement parts for HP Chromebook repairs before:

https://store.emprgroup.co.nz

Mainly just broken ports, ie DC input or USB.

If you're looking for somewhere to send them to, I've seen a few go through this Nelson based workshop (no affiliation). I know it says Apple all over the site, but he's definitely done Chromebooks too:

http://mac111.nz/

Pete
signature.asc

Patrick Dunford

Mar 8, 2018, 2:31:56 AM3/8/18
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

That would be the same for most Chromebooks, the HP ones that one of our schools had, had some battery failures, the cost of replacing the batteries with genuine HP parts was astronomical. This is generally true of most consumer electronics being a ploy to discourage repairs.

Landyn Frisby

Mar 8, 2018, 3:57:58 PM3/8/18
to Techies for schools
We have a policy of any problems gets done either under warranty or damage are sent back to the supplier for repair. The costs vary between $80-$150 for issues such as keyboard replacement, screen replacement, battery replacement. I would do it myself but the volume of chromebooks we have (250) make it worthwhile to outsource the repair. We also have a policy that the student who has the device while it was damaged pays the bill for repair. We have not written off any yet.