Google Drive file ownership

Patrick Dunford

Sep 28, 2017, 9:21:36 PM9/28/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon all

We have recently noticed some issues when transferring files between two
personal Google drives. I am interested to know if the same type of
issues occur when files are transferred on a Google Apps site.

If user A shares some files with user B and user B copies the files to a
folder in their Google drive, even when they are not still sharing those
files with A, A is still the owner of the files and B cannot share the
files to someone else or even make themselves the owner unless A has
previously granted that right to B. Regardless of whether A still even
exists as a current account (so far as I can tell).

the only way to change ownership of a file is for the current owner to
make each file individually owned by B, it is not possible to bulk
change this, for example if I set the ownership of a folder to B, the
files in the folder will not automatically inherit the ownership from
the folder settings. Whilst it may in fact be the case that this is
normal expected behaviour when compared with the likes of Windows
Server, it doesn't help at all that Google has not provided end users
with a capability to bulk edit file ownership.

Has anyone seen this issue with Google Drive on G Suite and how would
you deal with it? I am wanting to go back to Google support and ask them
to implement a capability to fix this problem.

Alistair Baird

Sep 29, 2017, 12:56:17 AM9/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
If you delete a user in Google, you then get the chance to transfer ownership, which you should (even if the docs weren't initally shared with you). You then have full owners rights and can share/edit/transfer etc. That is, of course, only if and when you delete the user.
I think I saw on a google blog earlier this week that they are working on better tools for bulk editing like this.
I also thought that if you copy a file, it is a copy of the original under your user, without any sharing, as it has it's own unique doc id. So you shouldn't have any sharing issues.
None of this should happen with Team Drives, as ownership remains with the team, not the individual if that's what you want.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Pete Mundy

Sep 29, 2017, 3:08:51 AM9/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Heya Patrick

I'm gonna break down different parts of your sentences and answer them inline below here to try and help.

But it's a bit broken and ugly, so I've sent it off-list. Hopefully it helps you anyway :)

> If user A shares some files with user B and user B copies the files to a folder in their Google drive,

The word 'copy' here is a key phrase. Let's make sure were talking about the same thing. When user B adds user A's file into their 'My Drive', they are just making a shortcut back to the original A file. However if they choose 'Make a copy' then they get a brand new file, owned by themselves, over which they have total control (and which remains even if user A deletes the original file). Note there is a setting that A can put on a file to stop B being able to 'Make a copy' (in which case user B is fsck'd), but that setting is not on by default

So, again...

> If user A shares some files with user B and user B copies the files to a folder in their Google drive, even when they are not still sharing those files with A, A is still the owner of the files and B cannot share the files to someone else or even make themselves the owner unless A has previously granted that right to B.

IF user B 'moves' the file into their My Drive rather than COPYING it then yes correct thus-far.

> Regardless of whether A still even exists as a current account (so far as I can tell).

No! When user A no longer exists as an account (deleted), the original file owned by user A will DISAPPEAR from user B's My Drive. UNLESS when user A was deleted their files were transferred to some other user in their domain (say user C), in which case the file remains in user B's My Drive, but is now owned by user C.

Cool... With me so far?

OK, let's continue...

> the only way to change ownership of a file is for the current owner to make each file individually owned by B

Yes, OR B can choose to 'make a copy' of the files and then he'll own the new copies.

> it is not possible to bulk change this, for example if I set the ownership of a folder to B, the files in the folder will not automatically inherit the ownership from the folder settings.

But if user B makes a copy (assuming user A allowed this) it should be possible to 'Make a copy' of a folder at a time and get a reasonable number of files covered with one operation.

> <snip>
> it doesn't help at all that Google has not provided end users with a capability to bulk edit file ownership.

Agreed!

I'm not sure if GAM supports changing file attributes? I guess GAM isn't any use if this is between gmail accounts anyway rather than between gsuite accounts.

Anyway hope my rambling comments help.

Pete
> --
signature.asc

Pete Mundy

Sep 29, 2017, 6:17:35 AM9/29/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Opps, no I haven't! Lolz :) Friday night fail. Oh well.
signature.asc

Patrick Dunford

Oct 4, 2017, 3:52:18 AM10/4/17
to Techies for schools
This is not offlist, and it's not on my computer.

Basically you haven't told me how to copy the files, because Google only gives you the option to move folders, you can only copy individual files within a folder.

Andrew Godfrey

Oct 4, 2017, 7:05:56 PM10/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Basically you haven't told me how to copy the files, because Google only gives you the option to move folders, you can only copy individual files within a folder.

I've found in the past that the google Drive App is good for copying whole folders including Google files (e.g. .gdoc) as well as non-google files.

Backup and Sync still works well for doing this but File Stream doesn't copy everything.

Of course, this will not work with shared files/folders until they have been "added" to your "My Drive".

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager

Pete Mundy

Oct 4, 2017, 9:53:45 PM10/4/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I think I did tell you how to copy the files, but maybe you just didn't comprehend my answer. Perhaps I could have explained it more clearly.

Putting the bulk-operations discussions aside for a moment, is it not simply a case of right-clicking on the file, choose 'Make a copy' then moving the new copy (that your own user account owns) into your own drive folder?

Pete
signature.asc