Windows 10 on Qualcom processors - Future Chromebook competition?

ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz

Dec 8, 2016, 6:19:33 PM12/8/16
to Techies for schools
Interesting that today I get a call from Microsoft regarding their free for students software and single sign on products and then come across this article about (potentially) Windows 10 chromebook type devices... http://www.androidcentral.com/windows-10-arm-microsoft-coming-chromebook-and-might-win

I always thought Microsoft missed the opportunity to dominate the market in low cost devices for students when they released the first surface -  except is wasn't low cost and the RT version of windows was a dodo. They could have had 10s of millions of students using Microsoft hardware and software and tried to establish some brand loyalty. Google has pretty much nailed that market with the chromebook but this option really does look interesting for the future.

My staff still long for Word's full editing and layout features and the windows file system since we have moved to Google!

Native integration into schools hybrid windows/active directory/ cloud based environments could certainly be a big draw card for them.

We are so far invested with Google / chromebooks that there would need to be a really compelling argument to change back but who knows what will eventuate? Hopefully it means we all stand to benefit from the competition that results! Interesting times.

Thoughts?

Alistair Baird

Dec 8, 2016, 6:57:59 PM12/8/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
We bought about 45 Surface RT's as the EOL selloff, and have not been disappointed given the price we got them for. Has\d 2 lockup never to go again because of Windows Updates! (go figure, but known bug) and since they were out of warranty... But the limited apps - that is good as most of our work is just Google. But had a couple of apps (like Kamar) that wouldn't run on them as they were full x86/x64, so just turned them into remote apps via our Terminal Server and they work great.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Patrick Dunford

Dec 9, 2016, 1:13:13 AM12/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Microsoft's educational offerings (and for that matter Apple's) were always well behind Google's. Many schools migrated to Chromebooks after experiencing the superior Google Apps cloud based system.

As it stands even a home user gets a far superior experience with the Google cloud services for personal use compared to what MS and Apple offer.

Patrick Dunford

Dec 9, 2016, 5:00:54 PM12/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

BTW the HP Stream product range is effectively Chromebook on Windows already.