Intercom / PA replacement

ictdi...@kowhai.school.nz

May 30, 2017, 7:43:45 PM5/30/17
to Techies for schools
Our school wide vintage analog intercom and PA system is giving up the ghost and we are looking for potential replacement systems. Our dream solution would be for a cheap, simple VOIP phone to be in each class or area but the speakers on all the phones we have tested are nowhere near loud enough to be heard in a busy classroom environment. There are dedicated VOIP PA speaker boxes but they are ridiculously priced at near $1000 per unit. I have even contacted the phone manufacturer Yealink and pointed out the gap in the market for such a product but this doesn't help in the short term... (We moved to a 3CX VOIP phone system with Yealink handsets a year ago).

Does anyone have a good, affordable solution?

Cheers
Tom Mackintosh
ICT Director
Kowhai Intermediate School

Alistair Baird

May 30, 2017, 7:53:50 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Our school bell and fire alarm system is also a PA. Does your school have such and add-on ?

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Pete Mundy

May 30, 2017, 7:55:22 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

I was talking about this with a school IT tech a few months back!

If someone had the time & inkling to do so, it should be relatively straight-forward to build a suitable receiver box out of a Raspberry Pi, a small & cheap class-D audio amplifier and a speaker. All it needs to do is boot up and run VLC listening for a UDP broadcast stream and pipe it to the audio-output. The SD card could even be set up as read-only to allow them to boot and run while avoiding the potential filesystem corruption that Pis are renowned for.

Pop it all in a 3D-printed box and you've got nice cookie-cutter solution!

For the sender it would be much the same thing, except you'd need a USB audio-input dongle and a microphone (and maybe a mixer if you want to put music into it) in place of the class-D amp and speaker.

I reckon the receivers could be built for <$200 each and the sender probably a similar cost. It should even be plausible to have the receivers working over WiFi (using RPi-3's built in WiFi chipset). Hell, throw in a lipo battery and even the sender unit could be wifi! (think emergency situation where everyone is lining up at the marshalling point; someone could have a battery-powered mic that enables them to put audio out over the school-wide PA system from right out there on the quad).

Now, if only I had the time to build it...

Regards,
Pete Mundy
Fiberphone Ltd / MacGeek Ltd
----------------------------
Did you know you can encrypt your emails to me using GPG tools? https://gpgtools.org
My public-key is available at: https://fiberphone.co.nz/petes-public-key.asc
It's fingerprint is: D983 810E 9176 6BD0 0F39  521C 3C23 2F32 00DB C768
signature.asc

Simon Wright

May 30, 2017, 8:17:49 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Pete,

Do you have a modern fire system, one that has a speaker/alarm in every room? and that plays the alarm tone followed by "Please exit the building" upon a fire emergency?
We had our system upgraded in recent years with this type of system and with it its used for the class bells as it has various bell sounds built in. We are just using our old timer system to trigger when to play the sound.

This system also has a microphone attached to be used as a PA (setup in the admin office). When speaking with the guys from Wormalds they showed me that the master amplifier/input board as aux input for the microphone or any other audio source.

On my growing list of projects is to create a system for having better management of the bells and also for lockdown situations which ties in directly to the fire systems audio component.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Pete Eaton

May 30, 2017, 8:21:08 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For a new school, I'd be giving serious thought to one of these in each room:

But something to look into would be using a Chromecast audio connected to a powered speaker in each class, e.g.
One of say https://surplustronics.co.nz/products/6670-hi-end-active-speaker-spj-800a-8-inch (there are better options, including in-wall I could think of)
And then connect them together into a speaker group:

This at least uses off-the-shelf components, but is a bit 'burst' with lots of things that could go wrong.

One thing I have found is that when something we have in schools that breaks or needs replaced, whenever we ask about it we get told that they need the exact same thing again.   We can always come up with a justification!  It may be worth stepping back and asking some questions like: is this so that office, admin or leadership staff's time is optimised - should we be doing this over the learning in the class?  If we have to give notices all the time, does it mean we aren't organised enough?  If it is for non-life threatening, would the ability to SMS all students and staff do the same thing? Etc.

Pete

Sent from my iPhone

Simon Wright

Mike Etheridge

May 30, 2017, 8:40:35 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Now that is interesting. We are using the bell sound, but I had no idea there was PA capability there as well.

Will be talking to our Wormald people about this. Cheers.

Mike

Pete Mundy

May 30, 2017, 8:41:51 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Heya Simon

Yep I know the fire systems you mean! They're pretty good these days aren't they.

Another school I work with has one of those and they are currently implementing a separate recording for lockdown situations. They have a panic button at reception which triggers the lockdown 'alarm', and we're going to interface that into their phone system so that they can dial a 'secret' internal extension number from any school phone to trigger it.

I think this was in reaction to a situation where a staff member became trapped in a classroom in a dangerous situation.

Regards,
Pete Mundy
Fiberphone Ltd / MacGeek Ltd
signature.asc

Simon Wright

May 30, 2017, 8:54:51 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested to know more on that Pete.

The last time i spoke with the guy from wormalds, he didn't seem confident that the built in sounds were changeable as i think they were programmed into the chip on the amplifier board.

When we did a trial lockdown last year i had a somewhat camp sounding american lockdown audio clip i found online and played it from a laptop with the microphone beside it.

[...]

Matt Strickland

May 30, 2017, 9:39:33 PM5/30/17
to Techies for schools
Most schools here in Hawkes Bay use the pertronic amplifiers: http://www.pertronic.co.nz/alerting_devices/ampifiers.php
The same american sounding voice. We have had ours reprogrammed as when an amplifier was replaced it had a custom voice in it, not sure if that was by design or not.

An alternative for a custom sound is to use the microphone interface to play a custom tone/recording (basically the Raspberry Pi idea adapted to an amplifier and triggering of sorts)

But using the fire speaker system is probably the easiest way to broadcast / PA a message, as long as the neighbours don't mind for those schools with external sounders + close residential proximity.

Matt

Alistair Baird

May 30, 2017, 9:56:55 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
When our fire system was upgrade a few years ago, I remember our then Exec Officer by chance playing the sounds as wave files when I walked into his office. They are fully programmable wav files, but bear in mind they should make sense to students as quickly as possible.. So we have a more traditional electric fire bell bell sound for period bells, the fire alarm woop woop with the "please evacuate.." plus a wah wah type alert with "Please standby for further announcement". And I think there is another for lockdown with a "please stay away from the windows..." - Our Digital Technology teacher always hates this, there's Windows in front of every student (PC) !

Mike Etheridge

May 30, 2017, 10:11:04 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
*snort*

Bevan McNaughton

May 30, 2017, 10:21:43 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
For our hostel we're looking at UniFi AC Edu devices, easily powered and good WiFi as well.
For the school, at this stage we haven't got a PA system but do have the "Please Evacuate the Building" fire alarm and bell system intertwined. It'll be interesting to see what is needed to add a PA option to it.

Bevan

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager
MCP, MTCNA, CAP, UEWA, Google Ed.

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Fax:     +64 3 216 9010
Mobile: 027 223 2144

Simon Wright

May 30, 2017, 10:26:12 PM5/30/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Shouldn't be hard at all Bevan as i'm sure the modern fire systems are all the same/similar thats its just a matter of adding a microphone.
Just contact Wormalds (assuming they are the keepers of the system)

On 31 May 2017 at 14:21, Bevan McNaughton <bevan.mc...@southlandgirls.school.nz> wrote:
For our hostel we're looking at UniFi AC Edu devices, easily powered and good WiFi as well.
For the school, at this stage we haven't got a PA system but do have the "Please Evacuate the Building" fire alarm and bell system intertwined. It'll be interesting to see what is needed to add a PA option to it.

Bevan
On 31 May 2017 at 14:11, Mike Etheridge <mi...@etheridge.co.nz> wrote:
*snort*

Alistair Baird