Backing up Google Drive Folders

Blake Richardson

Jun 9, 2016, 8:23:01 PM6/9/16
to Techies for schools
We have most of our faculties using Google drive to store their department files. My only concern is we have no local backup of these files, their there a method or software where I can backup all of these files to some form of hard drive or server share point.

I understand there is a Google Drive app but that would only take care of one dept account and not the rest.

Clayton Hubbard

Jun 9, 2016, 8:38:14 PM6/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Have used backupify for this function before but is a cloud option

Clayton Hubbard
Senior Engineer
0220430155

Bevan McNaughton

Jun 9, 2016, 9:03:17 PM6/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Some NAS systems have the option for education/business Google Drive backups, maybe look at QNAP or Synology for these.
Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager
MCP, MTCNA, CAP, Google Ed.

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Fax:     +64 3 216 9010
Mobile: 027 223 2144

Rohan Meuli

Jun 9, 2016, 9:57:21 PM6/9/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Disclaimer - we are a reseller of this product!  :-)

We highly recommend another cloud option called Spanning Backup for Google Apps - it's working very nicely for us.

Cheers

Rohan@Our School

Richard Symon

Jun 12, 2016, 4:12:10 PM6/12/16
to Techies for schools
Hi Blake

We have all our departments folders on google drive as well, but also use google drive to sync all these folders to the cloud and also for them to be used locally, you can use the google drive app you download and choose the folder below these department folders (locally) to backup and that would take them all onto google drive, also sync both ways as well

for google drive backup onto the internet for these, we use backupify

for local backups as well with these we use freefilesync (with versioning) and backup these onto a qnap drive

so we have multiple sources of backups, just incase teachers delete or anything else happens :)

WHS Ict Technician

Jun 21, 2016, 8:58:20 PM6/21/16
to Techies for schools
We have a "school" account, that all the departments save files to. This is google drive syncd to a local server (just in case). Any file or folder created within the school account's drive is visible to that account, so nothing is missed. We don't currently back up individual or student drive files (we do back up local files), I'm not too worried, though, as the google vault is excellent. Retention of even deleted files for years...

Unless someone knows why relying on vault is not a good idea?

Rohan Meuli

Jun 21, 2016, 9:03:54 PM6/21/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Notwithstanding my previous disclaimer as a reseller, this may still be of interest ...

Cheers

Rohan@Our School Ltd