Ruckus AP licenses

Craig Knights

Mar 26, 2015, 9:34:04 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Does anyone have a rough idea of what it costs to increase the licensed number of access points from 50 to more (does it need to be 100?) on a Ruckus system?

ta
Craig

Tim Harper

Mar 26, 2015, 9:36:09 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

We went from 25 to 50 cost a few thousand by memory
Sent in a hurry from a fascinating meeting.

Jonathan Vautier

Mar 26, 2015, 9:39:49 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

You’d need to talk to a reseller for pricing- but some controllers can’t go higher than 50 APs - if you have a 1000 or 1100 series controller some are limited to a max of 50 APS - if you have the 1200 you can go to 75,  and the 3xxx series controller you can upgrade as far as 500. There also may be some maximum client limitations depending on the controller which you should consider.

Jono

Matt Hall

Mar 26, 2015, 9:45:47 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

Jono is right. It really depends on what you have at the moment. Do you have a: ZD1100, ZD1200 or ZD3000 ?
If you would like to organise some pricing for you please drop me an email: matt...@ruckuswireless.com

Cheers,
Matt

Craig Knights

Mar 26, 2015, 9:46:00 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
it is an 1100 so might be stuck again..  there's the previous 1000 sitting there powered off too ()..

might have to start looking hard at where I can rob some from..

yuck.
Craig

Andrew Godfrey

Mar 26, 2015, 9:52:30 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Another heads up Craig - If you are using 7962 units as well, you need to look at replacing them as the latest ZD software won't support them.

_______________________________________

Andrew Godfrey  |  Network Manager  |  Burnside High School  |  Christchurch | New Zealand

Tim Harper

Mar 26, 2015, 9:55:27 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

We have a ZD1000 and it can cope with 50.

Matt Hall

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00:09 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Good Point Andrew!

The last supported firmware release for the 7962 access point (the dome shape unit) is version 9.8. This has been a great unit and served us well over the last 6 years but the product is now end of life. Customers wanting to upgrade their ZoneDirector to 9.9 will need to remove any 7962 units from their network prior.

The ZD1100 has the following license levels: 6, 12 , 25 , 50.
If you have more than 50 access points you will need to consider upgrading to a ZD1200 (max 75 aps) or ZD3000 (max 500 aps).

If you are considering as upgrade let me know and i'll see if our team can get you a special upgrade deal ;-)

Cheers,
Matt

On 27/03/2015, at 2:34 pm, Craig Knights <craig....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have a rough idea of what it costs to increase the licensed number of access points from 50 to more (does it need to be 100?) on a Ruckus system?

ta
Craig

Arnold Santos

Mar 26, 2015, 10:11:12 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just a thought, will this be covered by the new SNUP 2 upgrade being pushed by the Ministry? If you have an old unit of controller and also a need to add more AP's will they consider this option on their design?

Regards,

Arnold

Arnold B. Santos
ICT Systems Administrator
Queenstown Primary School

________________________

Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.8
Apple Certified Support Professional
10.8

This email may contain confidential information intended for the recipient. If you receive this email in error please contact me.

Julian Davison

Mar 26, 2015, 10:20:45 PM3/26/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Such an upgrade certainly seems to be part of the plan for the WSNUP, is that the SNUP2 you’re thinking of?

On 27 March 2015 at 15:00, Matt Hall <mat...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Note:
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on +64 3 4718232.  In this case please do not act in reliance on this email or any attachments, and destroy all copies of them. The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily of Decision1 IT Solutions Ltd.

This e-mail has been scanned by MailMarshal.  Any enquiries should be directed to :---: in...@decision1.co.nz

Patrick Dunford

Mar 27, 2015, 9:01:29 PM3/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The Ministry of Education should pay for any replacements as they chose the Ruckus vendor for the SNUP upgrades and obviously this product comes with built in obsolescence and forcing users to replace the product after that timeframe.

Mar 27, 2015, 9:35:07 PM3/27/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The Ubiquiti controller runs on a PC and doesn’t have these limits. Any school that has Ubiquiti gear and has had the WSNUP carrot dangled in front of them... think twice.
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 2:45 PM

J B

Mar 29, 2015, 3:46:42 AM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
They should but good luck with that.  I don't think the MoE owns or can use a dictionary, if they did they would have had difficulty using the word upgrade for the program they strong-armed the schools into.

I have seen them rip out more than half the ports of a school claiming that 'wireless is the future' with no regard to the fact that wireless is not the best thing for every device.  Even decile 1 schools with no hope of byod and a full complement of workstations giving robust access to computers in the classroom had their ports halved and were told to put wireless cards on the desktops, great but what about reimaging and whole application streaming that worked fine before.  Then there is their insistence on putting in old 802.11n gear when Gen one 11ac has been out for some time.  Sure they are going to do ac Gen 2 at some point but that just puts all those unlucky schools 2 revisions behind.

I have also seen them rip out far superior switches with lifetime warranties to put in the much less impressive and feature lite AT stuff with only a five year warranty.

The MoE SNUP program seems largely to be another leaver to force schools down a path that may not suit them and may put them in a worse position.  When refused they will come back and persuade harder.  There are benefits, the cable paths are usually cleaner and for many schools it can improve their backbone but I have seen as much damage done as good.

The contractors who do the actual work are generally good but the planning and design teams seem to be chasing a moving target with regards to the spec they are supporting this week (thanks Moe).  The school has to be really on top of it the whole way to make out alright and generally you need to pay a little extra to keep some ports in rooms rather than gutting all the little offices and such of any chance of hardwired network or phone.

Jeffrey.

Sent from my Windows Phone

The Ministry of Education should pay for any replacements as they chose the Ruckus vendor for the SNUP upgrades and obviously this product comes with built in obsolescence and forcing users to replace the product after that timeframe.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 29, 2015, 5:31:57 AM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The issues I am aware of is
- there is a fixed determination of a number of switches, wireless APs etc. Whilst its good the switches will cover the wireless points in the areas they are in (as they need switches that support VLANs) plus some extra ports I think the Ministry should have rolled in enough switches to replace all of the ones in the school for classroom computers because typically the school has had to keep some of the existing switches in place for those computers.
- the provision of wireless APs only covers teaching areas. So in one block the teacher’s offices had no coverage.

When one of our schools had the assessment for their original fibre broadband connection for the school a vendor told us we needed to spend $10,000 on a new server, under the guise they were a Ministry adviser for this programme. I don’t know if there has been anything similar this time, but you just have to remember there are commercial business interests at play here and any vendor could underquote on the contract to win the tender then look for ways of adding costs later or pitching for additional business from schools.

Out of 4 schools we work with, one went in boots and all for wireless SNUP. Well at least they got Gigabit switches everywhere and wireless units everywhere. Of course by the time the contract was finished there was only a very short free support period before presumably they have to start paying because believe it or not the wireless vendor requires a subscription to be purchased for $$$ before they will provide any information about their product.

The other 3 schools have elected not to bother with the programme and have kept their Ubiquiti gear. That which the Ministry somehow deemed unsuitable for the purpose. Since I have Ministry bureaucrats ringing our schools to ask if we know that Windows Server 2003 is going end of support... I have this feeling the Ministry have got their priorities wrong. Schools should have got the choice to add to their existing installations wherever possible rather than throwing away a pile of already suitable wireless equipment in favour of whichever company won the tender.

Ict Technician

Mar 29, 2015, 6:16:14 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
This all strikes fear into me. How best could i resist a Ministry pushed WSNUP upgrade? Our network is working well (based on cheap consumer gear and lots of custom work), and i certainly don't want it gutted. Especially to put in ruckus gear. We are aiming to keep up with standard changes and don't want to get caught in an horrifically expensive hardware trap. I figure $6000 every three years to stay current is as much as we need (for 50APs)

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 10:31:57 PM UTC+13, Patrick Dunford wrote:
The issues I am aware of is
- there is a fixed determination of a number of switches, wireless APs etc. Whilst its good the switches will cover the wireless points in the areas they are in (as they need switches that support VLANs) plus some extra ports I think the Ministry should have rolled in enough switches to replace all of the ones in the school for classroom computers because typically the school has had to keep some of the existing switches in place for those computers.
- the provision of wireless APs only covers teaching areas. So in one block the teacher’s offices had no coverage.

Bevan McNaughton

Mar 29, 2015, 6:37:09 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
There are caveats and improvements regardless of which SNUP/WSNUP schools have gone to.
In 2011 we were lucky enough to get the work done at a time where one cabinet alone was going to cost us $30k, plus all the wiring work. We were sorted prior to WSNUP being available but opted for Ubiquiti gear and haven't looked back.

Dealing with an older school, I've rolled them over to what is currently used (100Mbps to the edge to 1Gbps to the edge) which was cheap and easy since the cabling infrastructure was already in place. A.T's tradein scheme knocked a little bit more off the the price for them too.

With s current school I'm helping out with WSNUP, we've simply liaised with TorqueIP about the layout and equipment for each block. A lot of this was done during their audit process.
The downside to some of the plans/amendments is that the school pays 100% of the costs for the likes of:
  • More sockets in a classroom or office unless existing infrastructure demands it,
  • Outside of scope rooms or BOT owned buildings
  • Extra switching for future plans,
However the aged infrastructure (and some later cabling poorly done by previous contractors) will be all up to spec and allow for easier additions later on. They also get the 802.11ac (v2 apparently) Ruckus gear now too.

After talking to A.T earlier this year, there are newer products for the school market coming out with ease of management, performance, being quieter, etc. Their support is excellent - although it does know who/where to contact there to get a prompt response.

Bevan

Bevan McNaughton
Intranet Manager

Southland Girls' High School
328 Tweed Street
Invercargill 9812

Kent Champion

Mar 29, 2015, 6:56:36 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Hi Craig,

Just wondering, have you given any thought to of switching vendors since you are facing these enviable upgrades to increase your AP count? This was just one of the many reasons why we chose to go with the vendor that we did to enable a future that didn’t have an end of life of products from a management point of view.

At Waimea College we use a controller-less vendor and like Patrick stated we are not limited by the number of AP’s that can be connected to expand our AP network. We don’t suffer from the hardware placing a limitation of what version of firmware is running. We have the choice to run the management software locally or via the cloud.

Just food for thought when contemplating what lays ahead.

Regards

Kent Champion
HelpDesk Analyst/Network Administrator
Kent.C...@waimea.school.nz

Craig Knights

Mar 29, 2015, 7:04:39 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Yes of course.  We were planning on end of 2017 as looking hard at our wireless system.

Currently I am stunned by the low pricing of the Ubiquiti gear.  I have a bought one one of their bridges to use, trial, see if it can solve some problems.

Our Ruckus system is going well, but to expand it's coverage I'm going to have to carefully use what I have, pay to get more of it or extend using APs from another vendor.  It's tricky...

Craig

flow in

Mar 29, 2015, 7:27:12 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
i'm stunned by the cost of the ruckus gear!
You can use openWRT firmware on really cheap APs and get full management / monitoring reporting functionality with freeware (cacti / spiceworks)
What are people using to manage ubiquiti gear?

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Techies for schools" group.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 29, 2015, 7:57:11 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Simply if your school already has good backbone, good switches and is getting good service with the wireless gear you have then that works in your favour. The example I used is a low decile school where they were cutting corners on everything then this Ministry funding offer came along that was too good to refuse.

One of the Ubiquiti schools I mentioned is a bit to the north of you, they have put all the gear in prior to the WSNUP being developed (as it's come about relatively recently). As such there isn't much justification for forking out the extra (my understanding is the school still has to pay some of the costs). The other two I mentioned are integrated schools that have to fork out for everything to do with buildings, so they look pretty hard at every pitch. As it happens the one just a bit south of Christchurch already had very good backbone cabling, they just had a visit from the Ministry adviser who has had to concede there is next to no work needed.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 29, 2015, 7:58:39 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I have thought hard about this but not sure how you can make two different systems work without interfering with each other.

Patrick Dunford

Mar 29, 2015, 7:59:23 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Just the free controller from Ubiquiti on a computer (it is cross platform - Java)

Bevan McNaughton

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00:51 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi Flow.
We've got a Debian VM for the Ubiquiti server, but if you want a good all-round box - the UniFi NVR server is perfect for the job too since it can do their security cameras, mFi (controllers) and of course the UniFi A.P's. No licencing required.

Craig Knights

Mar 29, 2015, 8:02:32 PM3/29/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The boarding house part of the school can have a different SSID, so could run on other gear, and is far enough away not to interfere much.

ta
Craig

flow in

Julian Davison

Mar 30, 2015, 5:29:09 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Might depend on how close the systems are – a variety of places we deal with are in built-up areas with competing Wifi from surrounding homes and businesses. Often these nearby places are far closer to chunks of the system than some of the outlying buildings. It’s something to keep an eye on, regardless of whether you’re directly running multiple vendors…

We’ve recently put in a Ubiquiti PtP bridge to link (temporary) buildings across a road. The remainder of the gear on site is all Ruckus. Of course, it’s also 5 years old, so a few generations of Wifi behind.

J,

I have thought hard about this but not sure how you can make two different systems work without interfering with each other.

Julian Davison

Mar 30, 2015, 5:31:35 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

The Controller tends to get run on a suitable server (as a service). I’ve got a python script pulling stats out of the Unifi controller into Cacti to monitor things like throughput and client-count (Cacti is also monitoring the AT switches).

J,

Mar 30, 2015, 6:56:27 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I manage spectrum by splitting capacity on 2.4 and 5Ghz channels;

The design is for 2.4GHz (only 3 non-overlap channels) so I space the 4th AP the furtherest from the 1st, when running Channel 1, 6 and 11. (I avoid 12&13 just in case we have import devices that don't support those bands)

I then fill in with AP's on 5GHz only (2.4 disabled), which suits all our newer TELA laptops, and Apple devices. There are a few more channels on 5GHz, so the more the better, but penetration is much less. The more I move to 5GHz the better.

I can tell by looking at neighbouring strength which AP's see other AP's, and hopefully they dontt see another AP on the same channel, or hopefully very minimal.

Matt

Patrick Dunford

Mar 30, 2015, 7:40:58 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Well, I was under the impression the controllers automatically regulate the channels in use, so it’s difficult to be sure a particular managed AP will stay on the same channel all of the time.

Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 11:56 AM

flow in

Mar 30, 2015, 8:01:39 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
what happens if you put the unmanged ones on auto, or just set them up and let the managed system figure it out? If ruckus can cope with having neighbours (and surely it must if it is to work in any real environment) then it shouldn't matter who owns them.

One thing to look for is power - i set all my APs at the minimum power to cover the classroom they are in.

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Bevan McNaughton

Mar 30, 2015, 8:56:56 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Looking at our UniFi controller and associated spacing, the A.P's seem to almost all have non-interfering channels set. There are cases where some are both on Channel 1 nearby (like for uplinks), otherwise overlap is very low in the 2.4GHz range. Power ratings are also on auto in most places (except where uplink hosts are set) too
I'd be interested to see Ruckus' layout map reporting it's channel association.
Bevan

Julian Davison

Mar 30, 2015, 8:58:06 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

That’s dependent on the gear. You can certainly manually set Ubiquiti APs to specific channels instead of letting the system figure it out. It tends to be an option for when the automated system gets it wrong.

Of course, the point of the automated system is that it can adjust as the environment (such as neighbours) changes, so there are advantages to letting it sort itself out.

Well, I was under the impression the controllers automatically regulate the channels in use, so it’s difficult to be sure a particular managed AP will stay on the same channel all of the time.

Matthew Strickland

Mar 30, 2015, 9:45:53 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
The way I view it is to lay out the physical ( the real world AP location ) as best as possible, so its a little more idealistic for the controller to manage.
I still leave the controller to manage channels, power etc, I've just added extra 5GHz between all the other AP's in places that are not ideal.

Does it make a difference? I don't really know, but I don't get any complaints.

If anything it seems to reduce the average client count on AP's.

Matt

flow in

Mar 30, 2015, 10:46:37 PM3/30/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
i laid it all out then used netspot to survey the actual signals and tweaked from there.
with one AP for classroom, you should never get more than 30 clients per AP

--

Westland High School logo

Flow In, MA hons Cantab, MSc | ICT Technician | WESTLAND HIGH SCHOOL

Phone: 03 755 6054 | Cell: 022 027 5107 | Fax: 03 755 6269 | i...@westlandhigh.school.nz
PO Box 154, 140 Hampden Street, Hokitika 7842
http://www.westlandhigh.school.nz/

WHAKATERE I Ā TĀTOU HAERENGA - NAVIGATING OUR JOURNEYS

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

Blake Richardson

May 12, 2015, 7:31:54 PM5/12/15
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure you can increase licensing in increments of 5. Dean at RevIT will be able to help you out with this.