Epson projectors?

Craig Knights

Jul 10, 2017, 7:14:17 PM7/10/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

What do people recommend for a good value projector?

Doesn't need all the wireless projecting stuff, just a good number of lumens for a big classroom with lots of windows.

I've been recommended Epson, we already have a couple of short throw Epsons among an aging fleet of Sony's, but need to replace a non-short throw one.

thanks,
Craig

Mike Etheridge

Jul 10, 2017, 7:34:45 PM7/10/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Got a Panasonic, pretty much an update of the Sanyo models that are everywhere but they disappeared n rebranding exercise. Seems pretty good, cheap too. Found Epsom lamp life to be much less than the Sanyo, and presumably the new Panasonic.

Sent from Samsung Mobile

Kevin Whelan

Jul 10, 2017, 7:54:39 PM7/10/17
to Techies for schools
got mainly epson here now,really good bang for buck and have never had an issue, some are 6-7 yrs old now We always get wxga models
wouldn't hesitate to buy epson

Alistair Baird

Jul 10, 2017, 8:06:23 PM7/10/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Mainly Viewsonic here. Have 3 year warranty and very good service agent in Christchurch. Our 7 year old ones stil going, they can fix them still if it's economical.

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College
p 06 354 4198
m 021 482 937

Simon Wright

Jul 10, 2017, 8:17:18 PM7/10/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
I 2nd Panasonic.

Flick Paul an email and tell him i sent you ;)

The last ones we got were the PT-LW362A

If you want to see them in action, you know where i am.

Regards
Simon Wright
ICT Manager

Best for boys through the right learning
2 Arthur Street, Dunedin, 9016, New Zealand
p: 03 477 5527 | f: 03 477 5468 | c: 021 773 229 | w: obhs.school.nz

Respect - Whakaute | Courage - Toa | Honour - Hōnore | Perseverance - Manawanui | Excellence - Hiranga

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 11:14:17 AM UTC+12, craig.knights wrote:
Hi all,

What do people recommend for a good value projector?

Doesn't need all the wireless projecting stuff, just a good number of lumens for a big classroom with lots of windows.

I've been recommended Epson, we already have a couple of short throw Epsons among an aging fleet of Sony's, but need to replace a non-short throw one.

thanks,
Craig

Alistair Baird
IT Manager
St Peters College

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail is intended for the addressee only and may contain information which is subject to legal privilege. This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is confidential and subject to privilege. Its contents are not necessarily the official view Otago Boys’ High School or communication of the Otago Boys’ High School. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this e-mail or any information in, or attached to it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender immediately or return the original message to Otago Boys’ High School by e-mail, and destroy any copies. Otago Boys’ High School does not accept any liability for changes made to this e-mail or attachments after sending.

Sam McNeill

Jul 11, 2017, 5:20:12 PM7/11/17
to Techies for schools
HI Craig,

When I was still at St Andrew's we started to standardize on the Epson short throw projectors that we could network for both centralised management/reporting and also "wireless" projection across the LAN. We found them to be excellent and (at the time) the wireless projection was more reliable than the various WiDi/Miracast options around but I think this has improved considerably over the last 12months.

I wrote a blog at the time if you're interested:

With a number of new buildings coming online at StAC and existing block refits they probably have around 80 of those Epson in place now.

Cheers
Sam

Matt Strickland

Jul 11, 2017, 5:42:59 PM7/11/17
to Techies for schools
For our standard classrooms we changed to Epson - and not the expensive ones.
EPSON EB-955WH 3LCD ~ $1250+GST

I had 2 requirements: 2 or more HDMI and audio out/return.
1 HDMI for teachers desk, other for Apple TV, miracast, Chromecast device.
Audio out is returned to an amplifier at the teachers desk, connected to ceiling speakers.

So for us, all our classrooms will have audio return, HDMI and network run to each projector (All our runs are <10m so just using patch cables)

I also have resorted to trunking even tho we are new build, as the ability to change cables in the future if required is easier.

Matt

Blake Richardson

Jul 17, 2017, 10:06:50 PM7/17/17
to Techies for schools
We are a 100% Epson school. We bought a bunch of their EB-485wi projectors, I was so impressed by the quality of image and hardware as well as lamp cost that we replaced the lot when we bought new buildings.

We have mostly 95% ultra short  throw, a few standard throw and 3 G series projectors.  Where are you based Craig?

Craig Knights

Jul 18, 2017, 6:01:54 PM7/18/17
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
In Dunedin.  Which model of standard throw are you using?

thanks,
Craig