OSX El Capitan and Active Directory logins?

Craig Knights

Mar 29, 2016, 5:59:52 PM3/29/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com
Re-imaged a lab yesterday with OSX 10.11 El Capitan,  this is the first time we've had a lab full of Macs, (been Macs for TELA for a few years now)

So this time round I joined them to our Active Directory server by:  Login Options in the Users & Groups pane of Sys Prefs and the Join.. button.  Entered the IP of our primary DC, typed in a unique name, used our AD administrator credentials..  Worked great..

Imaged them using Deploy Studio, and rejoined the AD on each one after imaging..

The problem is some don't get the Other..  login option.  Sometimes a reboot picks it up, but for some it doesn't come up at all...

This time round I've set up the lab on wifi, using a pair of Ruckus R600's.

Autodesk Fusion 360 is going awesome on the machines that do log in..

Anybody seen this kind of thing before?

thanks,
Craig

Pete Mundy

Mar 29, 2016, 6:33:47 PM3/29/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Yep, seen multiple times before, on earlier releases of OS X (I'm not up with the play with El Capitan). It stemmed from various issues to do with lac of the OS gaining connectivity to the directory service before the login screen loads. Examples of said issues were STP on switches and consequent delays in packets being switched after link comes up, DHCP assignment delays and underlying Bonjour services delaying network services startup due to bugs (etc etc). The work-around commonly employed was to set System Preferences' "Display login indow as" option to "Name and password" rather than "List of users". Not ideal, but achieved the goal.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Ps, DeployStudio can be scripted to automate the joining of AD post-imaging too, if you have time to pour into the automation work. (just sayin :)

Craig Knights

Mar 29, 2016, 6:37:15 PM3/29/16
to techies-f...@googlegroups.com

Yes I saw that automation stuff. But was keeping it simple for a "need this going tomorrow" job.  Thanks for the tip on logins. Will test.

Ta
Craig.